ongoing problems with air conditioning/fuel air vent

Adios

GT Owner
Apr 24, 2010
E. Washington State
Every summer I have to add refrigerant. Ford dealer has replace both high an low pressure valves.Installed dye into the system ,dye showed leaks at tubing connections. They replaced the tubing bundle. Took gt to local dealer this year for inspection 5 min drive various 4 hour drive 1 way,local dealer finds dye and refrigerant oil that had seeped from a seal on the compressor.
After all of this shop time I am back to square one again this summer. Ford wants me to pay half the bill for new compressor,I am disappointed with Ford and ordinal dealer for not finding all the system leaks and covering the cost under warranty. Four years the same problem every summer with the air. I have been told that not starting car up and letting air run could cause leaks. Oh did I say check engine light is on code # says it is the air vent on fuel fill hose. Any of you got information that can help or lift my spirits I appreciate your input.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
I'm sorry you are having the problem. Unfortunately, I can't help - only commiserate. I also have an a/c leak. The source of my leak, which seems to cause the a/c charge to become useless after about 3 months, so far cannot be found by my Ford dealer after three tries. I'm about halfway through the 500 miles the dealer told me to drive the car before bringing it back for another try.

I can tell you that MY problem was NOT caused by not starting car up and letting the air run. I have had the car for almost five years and have driven it with a/c on at least once almost every week for a total of about 25,000 miles. So, I don't think you should beat yourself up for not running your car more frequently.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I am as well sorry to hear this. Not having A/C is one blood boiling experience; esp, in the GT which produces massive heat; though the GT does have a high output system than can literally frost up the windows. The a/c system is one of the nicest parts of the car; and should be enjoyed.

My Advice: find a new dealer; 4 tries w/no success is too much.

Ask around for members here in your state or consider sending to GT guys.

In the past I had one BMW 6 series that stumped 3 mechanics w. no a/c for 4 summers. I went to a BMW dealer in desperation and he found a short in electrical system at fuse, A/c was fine for 6 yrs after that.

Many dealers do the process of elimination / parts replacement instead of good old fashioned detective work, bench testing, observation/monitoring.

With a/c's its often a clogged filter or valve that throws the entire system out of balance and freezes up unrelated parts and causes vents/valves to fail or release pressure/temperature, with a compressor overworking to compsensate; rather than the oft tried refrigerant leak/recharge fix.

Last edited:

Adios

GT Owner
Apr 24, 2010
E. Washington State
Thank you for advice. I phoned service manager told him how disappointed I was ,he said that he would make a phone call to ford. I typed a reply yesterday, not sure if I posted it correctly.This may be a repeat, may have to get my kids teach old dog a new trick.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Service Recommendation

I would agree with above advice and try another dealer. However, as you well know our cars are very specialized and an owner can get very frustrated taking the GT to a Ford dealer and expecting him to be able to fix a complex problem. Sadly many can not which only compounds the situation.

But alas, turn to our Forum. There are several very competent service providers here on this site who know our cars very well. Unfortunately none in the state of Washington so you may have to travel or ship your car to them, but I am confident the problems you indicate can be fixed and your car retuned to pristine order.

Check also the thread previous owners have chimed in on good Ford service at-
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?6798-Verified-Good-Dealer-Service-Locations

The fuel fill door check light has affected many owners and is a known issue. Here in the midwest, Rich and Dennis aka the GT Guys can and do work magic on our cars. They know them inside and out, quite literly. But they are a long way off.

On the west coast, talk to Shadowman, BlackIce or Kendall of Cool-Tech. (There may be others and I apologize in advance) A lot closer and I am sure they can get your car fixed. You undoubtly will have to pay these individuals for their technical services, but in the long run, having someone who actaully knows our cars and systems removes a tremendous amount of ownership frustration and gets you back enjoying your car. Which is why you bought her, right?

Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.

Last edited: