One mile shootout

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
We had the one mile shootout this last weekend in Nebraska at the SORC event. We ran my 06 GT against an 06 ZO6 and an 03 Viper. Unfortunately we couldn't find an 06 viper to come out and play. The results were.
GT had a best pass of 175.0 mph
ZO6 had a best pass of 167.5 mph
Viper had a best pass of 162.0 mph
all cars were stock.

Ted

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Wow, huge gap between the GT and Viper. 13mph is BIG.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
What were the times?

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
You have to remember that the viper was an 03 not an 05 or 06.

They don't have times listed the idea at their event is to match your MPH, time doesn't matter at this event.

Ted

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
The Viper may have been an 03, but there have been no engine / drivetrain changes since then. Only difference is the addition of a Coupe in 2006.

Excellent result!

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Great results!! On a side note...my '03 SRT ran 165 in the mile...and my '06 Coupe hit 167.4. That Viper was not where it should have been. Good number for the GT!!

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
THughes said:
We had the one mile shootout this last weekend in Nebraska at the SORC event. We ran my 06 GT against an 06 ZO6 and an 03 Viper. Unfortunately we couldn't find an 06 viper to come out and play. The results were.
GT had a best pass of 175.0 mph
ZO6 had a best pass of 167.5 mph
Viper had a best pass of 162.0 mph
all cars were stock.

Ted

the elevation of this event is at 4,000 feet above sea level. all of these cars times would be much faster at a track near sea level.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
lamboman said:
Great results!! On a side note...my '03 SRT ran 165 in the mile...and my '06 Coupe hit 167.4. That Viper was not where it should have been. Good number for the GT!!

what track and what elevation did you accomplish these results at?

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
Fast Freddy is right, each mile shootout is different like Dyno results the cars need to be run on the same mile and on the same day. The three cars were run right after each other on each run so there was no time of day difference for each car. I think this is the best comparison I have seen to date. The only variable was the driver. The altitude of the road is about 2200 feet but the air density was about 4000 feet. Here is a link of one of my runs.
http://www.gessford.com/images/SORC-Ted-GT Ford-03320.MPG

Ted

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
THughes said:
Fast Freddy is right, each mile shootout is different like Dyno results the cars need to be run on the same mile and on the same day. The three cars were run right after each other on each run so there was no time of day difference for each car. I think this is the best comparison I have seen to date. The only variable was the driver. The altitude of the road is about 2200 feet but the air density was about 4000 feet. Here is a link of one of my runs.
http://www.gessford.com/images/SORC-Ted-GT Ford-03320.MPG

Ted

awesome run there! looks like you had a fair amiount of wheelspin but that is to be expected. if you didn't spin the tires you probably would have bogged it and went slower. so i am gusessin that you got all you could out of it. nice job and a great speed you achieved especially considering the altitude you were at :thumbsup

the Z06 speed seems to be right on the money as well. the vipers speed does seem a lil slow to me. the convertible does not have an as efficient coefficient of drag as the coupe so that probably held it back a few mile per hour.

all in all your speed of 175 mph at that altitude with a stock GT is outstanding especially when you consider the best motortrend was able to achieve in a one mile run with a stock GT was 171.4 mph and that was even at sea level.

Last edited:

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Fast Freddy said:
what track and what elevation did you accomplish these results at?

Elevation less than 500FT. Not a track...old runway. There was a Z06 at the event I ran my 06 Coupe...and he turned a 166.9..IIRC. His time was quicker than mine however. Mine was 30.6...his 30.4.

Mar 15, 2006
lamboman said:
Elevation less than 500FT. Not a track...old runway. There was a Z06 at the event I ran my 06 Coupe...and he turned a 166.9..IIRC. His time was quicker than mine however. Mine was 30.6...his 30.4.

Maxton Mile?

We ran a 630 rw hp GT to 185.5 mph in the Texas Mile earlier this year.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
SPANK GT said:
Maxton Mile?

that time seems awefully slow compared to the time that the 635 rwhp accufab car was able to achieve. according to the june 2006 issue of motor trend their GT covered the mile in 27.2 seconds at 194.62 mph. you should know though because i see that according to this article that your 983.5 rwhp viper srt-10 coupe covered the mile in 26.2 seconds @ 217.9 mph. so why the big difference in speed between two ford GT's that put down within 5 rwhp of each other?

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Fast Freddy said:
... so why the big difference in speed between two ford GT's that put down within 5 rwhp of each other?

Different RWD dynos are notorious for providing different HP results. You should only use them to measure the difference in modifications, same dyno, same car. The MPH in a quarter mile would give you better way to calculate engine HP.

Mar 15, 2006
Fast Freddy said:
that time seems awefully slow compared to the time that the 635 rwhp accufab car was able to achieve. according to the june 2006 issue of motor trend their GT covered the mile in 27.2 seconds at 194.62 mph. you should know though because i see that according to this article that your 983.5 rwhp viper srt-10 coupe covered the mile in 26.2 seconds @ 217.9 mph. so why the big difference in speed between two ford GT's that put down within 5 rwhp of each other?

the Accufab GT ran the 2.5 in. blower snout and about 660 rw hp if i remember correctly. Different days, different tracks (wind, temp, etc.), different drivers.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Could be tires, wheels, driver, particular run.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
In the same Motor Trend 1 mile shootout, the Ford GT and the Lingenfelter Corvette had the same time in the mile, yet the Corvette was 10 mph faster?????

Mar 15, 2006
californiacuda said:
In the same Motor Trend 1 mile shootout, the Ford GT and the Lingenfelter Corvette had the same time in the mile, yet the Corvette was 10 mph faster?????

the GT had every car in the test covered on traction. thus the GT got to the mile at the same time as the C6 Vette even tho the Vette had 300 hp more than the GT.

427Z06

Sep 6, 2006
SPANK GT said:
Maxton Mile?

Hey how's it going man.

I was out there at the Texas Mile shoot out in my Black 06 Z06. I think I ran like a 168.7-9mph( i cant remember the time exactly off the top of my head).
I was only there for one day but boy was that a blast.
here is a pic/ vid of one of my runs.
texasmile-1.jpg

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
427Z06 - nice post with the pix and the vid there :thumbsup welcome to the site