OK Guys.....what is this?

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Doing my first oil change on a car I got with about 1700 miles on it....so I don't know if it had ever been changed before. When I dropped the front engine pan this is what I found. Appears to have some adhesive on just the side you see in the pic. Its about 3/4" in diameter with a 1/4" hole. Pan is still off so if anyone has any ideas that would be very cool......

Thanks, Ross

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
Looks to be a magnet .I dont know about the rtv on it

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Chocolate doughnut, or bagel with chocolate icing.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
look and see if the spring that holds up the clamshell (by the latch) has a cover over it. one of them on each side

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Do you have the Ford Racing supercharger pulley? It looks like one of the power steering pump spacers that come with the kit. I can see someone putting adhesive on the spacers to make installing them easier. They are tricky to get on. They can't come loose unless a bolt backed out or someone dropped it during installation and said the heck with it.

Here is a photo of the spacers that come with the kit:

DSC_4851.jpg

Last edited:

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Hmm ok, good thoughts. It's not magnetic. I licked it and did not receive any pleasure so it's not chocolate.

I did upgrade from the solid posts to the springs for the clamshell latch, and the hole fits the old thread size perfectly. There's even black paint that looks correct for that area. But, I don't think I dropped anything, and there's not another one in my spare parts?

I do have the Ford pulley, installed by the previous owner. It's definitely not the two on the top in the pic, but it sure looks close to the bottom two. But just what pulley is it? I assumed it was the pulley on the supercharger itself. But all the pulleys I can inspect on the SC belt only have a single center bolt. I can feel another one below the SC that has four bolts but I think that is something on the other belt?

I'm getting ready to do the Mojave Mile, so if this is something significant I need to figure it out, before the car does at 190.....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'd be willing to bet that at sometime someone was installing something, DROPPED that puppy, 'said 'screw it', left it laying wherever it fell, grabbed another one and installed IT instead.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
EP....I assume you're correct, but if we recognized this part I could confirm and know for sure......

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
Fetzer valve...

Looks like the previous owner left some 3 in 1 oil on it, there are probably some gauze pads still around as well. It is all ball bearings these days.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
EP....I assume you're correct, but if we recognized this part I could confirm and know for sure......

Understood, Ross, but trust me, if it were a missing part - you'd know it already. :wink

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Look at the passenger side exhaust towards the front (I have headers). The power steering pump is shown in the picture with one of the spacers circled. I'll bet you have no spacers installed.

Image002.jpg

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
EP.....ok, understood, and agree......

Sinovac....that's looking up from the bottom on the passenger side? I'll crawl under there again tomorrow........

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...I do have the Ford pulley, installed by the previous owner. It's definitely not the two on the top in the pic, but it sure looks close to the bottom two. But just what pulley is it? I assumed it was the pulley on the supercharger itself. But all the pulleys I can inspect on the SC belt only have a single center bolt. I can feel another one below the SC that has four bolts but I think that is something on the other belt?....

The washers that come with the Ford Racing Pulley are spacers that mount under the (error -alternator) power steering pump in order to take up the slack for the supercharger belt to keep it's idler in the center of the ramge.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The picture above is a view from the top, looking down towards the front of the exhaust manifold or header and to the left of the oil tank. The alternator has nothing to do with the spacers. The picture below shows the alternator on the driver's side and the power steering pump on the passenger side. Ralphie meant to type "power steering pump", but he made a scrivener's error. Glad I had insomnia tonight to correct his misdirection. lol
Image005.jpg

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I agree with others. Looks to me like one of the spacers for the Power Steering Pump as included in the Ford Racing Pulley Upgrade kit. Note that many installers chose to simply not install these spacers. We ALWAYS install these spacers but have seen a few cars with the pulley upgrade without them. It would be prudent to make a visual inspection of the power steering pump just to make sure that you either have ALL four spacers (preferred) or no spacers.... which is better that having some number in between. :)

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The picture above is a view from the top, looking down towards the front of the exhaust manifold or header and to the left of the oil tank. The alternator has nothing to do with the spacers. The picture below shows the alternator on the driver's side and the power steering pump on the passenger side. Ralphie meant to type "power steering pump", but he made a scrivener's error. Glad I had insomnia tonight to correct his misdirection. lol
View attachment 31186

Thanks - corrected it (Brain f*rt)

Last edited:

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Ok, I finally see where you're talking about, and with the aid of an inspection mirror I can see spacers on all four bolts. I can also see how you could easily drop one during the installation. Do you guys usually do this from the top only? Leaving the engine pan in place?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I accessed mine from the top and bottom. Using a small telescoping pen magnet makes installing the spacers much easier.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Yeah that's the way it looked to me. So dropping one during installation would not appear to be our answer......hmmm......

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The fact that it was left in the car tells me it could not be found. It probably didn't fall all the way down to the pan, got hung up somewhere, and fell to the pan later. I'm surprised you found it at all. Typically those parts fall into the Fifth Dimension.