Oil pressure sending switch questions...?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Gents,,
I am thinking my oil pressure sending switch just went bad today. I have Speedhut gauges, all of which work fine. I took car out for test drive in preparation for road trip to Atlanta on Wednesday. While driving, oil pressure reads fine. When I parked, with engine running, oil pressure read 0 and warning light came on dash. When revving engine, reads pressure again. I turned car off and checked oil level, and was fine. Drove home, did the same thing.

Does it sound like the oil pressure sending switch to you guys?

As today is Saturday, and I was hoping to leave Wednesday for Road Atlanta, is it okay to drive with it out, assuming actual oil level is fine? Got to be easily 1000 miles round trip.

I am not sure I can get a switch in time to install before road trip. Local Ford dealer doesn't have in stock, and said 'maybe' will have by Tues PM

Tnanks!

Tipo874

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Tucson, AZ
If you want to go Autozone and overnight shipping or local pickup then...

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Is it same as ford part, as different part # ?
Either way, no local Autozones near me have it unfortunately (just called)

Last edited:

Tipo874

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Tucson, AZ
I doubt if you will find it stocked in store. Just pointing out you could get it over night shipped if you had to and Ford isn't the only source. AutoZone ships out of Memphis. They supposedly have it in stock. Probably other chains carry it too.
But i just found a chart that says the autozone part is for an idiot light. Posted a xref chart below

Last edited:

Tipo874

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Tucson, AZ
I found this a cross reference chart...
BrandSkuTypeNameRelevance
CARQUEST53-33803Switch, Oil Pressure W/LigCARQUEST 53-33803 Switch, Oil Pressure W/LigDirectDetails»
AIRTEX1S9560Switch, Oil Pressure W/LigAIRTEX 1S9560 Switch, Oil Pressure W/LigDirectDetails»
FORD4G7Z-9D290-ABSwitch, Oil Pressure W/LigFORD 4G7Z-9D290-AB Switch, Oil Pressure W/LigDirectDetails»
STANDARD MOTORPS-442Engine Oil Pressure Sender With GaugeSTANDARD MOTOR PS-442 Engine Oil Pressure Sender With GaugeDirectDetails»
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTSPS-442Oil Pressure Sender or Switch For GaugeSTANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS PS-442 Oil Pressure Sender or Switch For GaugeDirectDetails»
WELLS5333803Switch, Oil Pressure W/LigWELLS 5333803 Switch, Oil Pressure W/LigDirectDetails»
ECHLINOP6914Switch, Oil Pressure W/LigECHLIN OP6914 Switch, Oil Pressure W/LigDirectDetails»
BWDS4349Engine Oil Pressure Sender With GaugeBWD S4349 Engine Oil Pressure Sender With GaugeDirectDetails»
NIEHOFFOP27241Switch, Oil Pressure W/LigNIEHOFF OP27241 Switch, Oil Pressure W/LigDirectDetails»
AutoZone1S9560Switch, Oil Pressure W/LigAutoZone 1S9560 Switch, Oil Pressure W/LigIndirectDetails»
AutoZonePS636Switch, Oil Pressure W/LigAutoZone PS636 Switch, Oil Pressure W/LigIndirectDetails»
CARQUESTPS442Engine Oil Pressure Sender With GaugeCARQUEST PS442 Engine Oil Pressure Sender With GaugeIndirectDetails»
NAPAOP6914Engine Oil Pressure Sender With GaugeNAPA OP6914 Engine Oil Pressure Sender With GaugeIndirectDetails»

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks. I called around. Most say maybe will get one in Wed, and I am hoping to leave Wed AM.

I assume it is okay to drive with it out this week (maybe 1000 mi roundtrip to Atlanta and around) ??

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
If indeed its JUST the sensor, you could drive it forever.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks Specracer. Based on my 2 observations below, I am assuming it is just the sensor, but not sure how to be 100% sure ?

- Pressure reading on oil gauge is fine when driving. Only goes to zero when idling (without any throttle).

- Dipstick's oil level seems correct (after testing with engine warm, right after shutting car off)

Any other thoughts most appreciated, as hoping to head out with the car Wed !!!

Somehow, I usually tend to suffer mishaps right before I head out to a GT rally - prior blown Whipple, flat tire, dead battery ...

Last edited:

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
If the sensor is failing I would not drive it. It is a diaphragm style and I have seen oil pressure pass thru the sensor and come out the conector. If it is giving you a heads up I would not chance it. The part has a short number and most dealers get two deliveries a day and you should be able to secure it on Monday. Good luck. See you at the Rally.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I stand corrected

It is a diaphragm style and I have seen oil pressure pass thru the sensor and come out the conector.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
You can always bring the 19!!

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Gents,,
I am thinking my oil pressure sending switch just went bad today. I have Speedhut gauges, all of which work fine. I took car out for test drive in preparation for road trip to Atlanta on Wednesday. While driving, oil pressure reads fine. When I parked, with engine running, oil pressure read 0 and warning light came on dash. When revving engine, reads pressure again. I turned car off and checked oil level, and was fine. Drove home, did the same thing.

Does it sound like the oil pressure sending switch to you guys?

As today is Saturday, and I was hoping to leave Wednesday for Road Atlanta, is it okay to drive with it out, assuming actual oil level is fine? Got to be easily 1000 miles round trip.

I am not sure I can get a switch in time to install before road trip. Local Ford dealer doesn't have in stock, and said 'maybe' will have by Tues PM

Tnanks!
Not trying to make more work for Rich, but he is planning on doing some airbag replacements. Buy the part and contact him, or he may even have one he could bring. Id call the GT Guy, LLc :)

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Nafod - funny we think alike. Tried him. Doesnt have any in stock unfortunately

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Nafod - funny we think alike. Tried him. Doesnt have any in stock unfortunately
PM me your address and I'll send you one on Monday Next Day Air. No Charge

jaxgt