Oil Overfill

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
OK, I need the gurus for this one: I just checked my oil for the first time (<100 miles since delivery) and noticed it was quite high. So, I made sure it was level..., rechecked it and again high. So, I called the dealer I purchased the car from and low and behold, they added oil to the car at prep time after checking the level COLD. Now I have a hundred miles on it and read about engine damage. Obviously I'm going to the dealer to get some removed, but did engine damage already occur? Any information is greatly appreciated.
Rob

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Rob,

Your engine is fine. Although over-filling is certainly not advised (and should be remedied asap), I would have a hard time to imagine any damage you could have done to the engine. One of the most obvious consequences would be overflowing of engine oil onto hot components and creating a fire hazard, etc. One of the most important gauges in your cockpit is your oil pressure gauge, and I think you would have noticed if anything was odd. Bottomline is that you don't seem to have any over-flow, and you didn't mention any abnormalities in oil pressure. So, sleep well, and resolve the oil fill as soon as you have a chance. You might consider doing it yourself as returning to a dealership that was this naive on oil filling, likely will also have no clue on how to properly lift/support the GT. It may take you some time, but I would imagine you can draw excess oil out of the reservoir using a clean turkey baster or similar. The job can be done right and you won't risk any more time/effort with a GT-inexperinced dealer.

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Well, I pulled off a quart, VERY time consuming as you assumed. Went for a drive, re-checked it and still high, so I'm going to pull off another 1/2 court and re-check it.
Unbelievable, huh!!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
rsilverman said:
Well, I pulled off a quart, VERY time consuming as you assumed. Went for a drive, re-checked it and still high, so I'm going to pull off another 1/2 court and re-check it.
Unbelievable, huh!!
rsilverman,

NOTE: This is from an old post: I remember about a decade ago, I just had an oil change done to my DeLorean (this was at a "DeLorean service center," usually I NEVER let any mechanic touch my cars) and I was cruising though the hot desert (Death Valley). My engine was running hotter than normal. Usually the coolant runs about 100 degrees hotter than the outside air, however this was not the case (it was more like 115-120 hotter!). I pulled over to side of the road, let things cool down a bit. I checked the oil level and it was about 2 quarts overfilled! I had get under the car and drain some out, until it approached the FULL mark on the dipstick. After that, the engine was fine!

Moral of this story: I never trust anyone's work...

Also, good thing that we have a dry sump system!
Jay
www.gtsaver.com

Last edited:

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Thanks for the input. I pulled off another 2/3 court, and I am just under the max line. Now I have to check out the 'clam shell' closing thread to adjust the closing force needed.
Rob

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

I think it is absolutely great that you took on the resolution yourself! Yes, it's time consuming but there's no doubt that you have a higher vested interest than anyone else would in working on your baby. You'll do the job right.... and you WILL sleep well. Way to go!