Oil change recap/ everyone read this

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Last week I posted "1st oil change" inquiry, here's the outcome. I'm a new car dealer and easily could have done the service at our store but wanted to have it in Ford's system as being done at 970 miles and also by a "certified" Ford GT tech. I requested that I be present during the service and my dealer was very nice to allow this. The dilemna began with putting the car on a conventional four arm post lift. Let me tell you guys, this car was not meant for this type of lift. After very carefully putting the arms under the car the tech lifted and subsequently damaged the middle pan under the car. Not the one that houses the difuser, the one in front of it. The bottom line is that this car should only be put on a ramp type lift. Now I'm sure that you can make it work on an arm lift, but there is too much risk. The tech actually read the manual to be extra sure he was on the frame points (the front is easy to line up) but it's virtually impossible to see under the car and even harder not to miss the lift points. Frankly even if you were dead on the lift points it's likely the pan would absorb some pressure and bend/crease. I'm a perfectionist as I'm sure a lot of GT owners are so if any of you guys have had your car in the air yet, check the pan for damage. My dealer is great and they instantly just ordered a new one for me. It was an honest mistake and they are making good for it. The tech even told me that this was the first oil change he had done on a GT (the store has only had and sold two, one '05 and one '06). This is just an FYI for all you guys out there, check your pan if you've had your car in the air. This post is not at all meant to fault my dealer, the whole staff there is fantastic. I just hope this post might save some one else the frustration of having your car tainted! BD40

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
centerpunch said:
These pads prevent damage when lifting the car with a floor jack or four arm lift.

Do the dealers know this????? You would think they'd be enlightened!!!

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
So do you think a lot of guys have damaged pans and don't even know it. My guess would be yes!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
So do you think a lot of guys have damaged pans and don't even know it. My guess would be yes!

I would agree. Just so we're consistent on semantics, your dealer tried to use a 2-post lift and a "ramp-style" lift is commonly referred to as a 4-post lift. With a 4-post, the only thing you have to worry about is the front spoiler when driving up/down. With the GT, I use a short ~16" length of 2x12 in front of each ramp and that gives me plenty of clearance.

The trouble with 2-post lifts is exactly as you describe. The tech is trying to position the arms blind on a car that he has likely never serviced before. Even with experience, positioning the arms is a PITA.

So, my question is if the dealer primed the oil system before starting the car after the oil change? I'm betting that 99% of dealers and independents skip this step as well - and it is VERY important with a dry-sump car.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
nota4re said:
I would agree. Just so we're consistent on semantics, your dealer tried to use a 2-post lift and a "ramp-style" lift is commonly referred to as a 4-post lift. With a 4-post, the only thing you have to worry about is the front spoiler when driving up/down. With the GT, I use a short ~16" length of 2x12 in front of each ramp and that gives me plenty of clearance.

The trouble with 2-post lifts is exactly as you describe. The tech is trying to position the arms blind on a car that he has likely never serviced before. Even with experience, positioning the arms is a PITA.

So, my question is if the dealer primed the oil system before starting the car after the oil change? I'm betting that 99% of dealers and independents skip this step as well - and it is VERY important with a dry-sump car.

Yes, I made sure of it! Like I said in my original post I would have done this myself had I not wanted to get the first LOF into Ford's computer. Everything you've said is true though and I don't even blame the tech, he was great and very caring for the car. Also the "4-post" is what we ended up using with some 2x10's about four feet long. If you support the bottom of the boards you use, the longer the better. This takes all the angle out of the incline and makes it a breeze to get the car on the rack. I use to own a Viper Comp Coupe that has a 3" ground clearance and never had an issue getting it into my 24' enclosed trailer because of this method. This is all good info nota4re for we all can use it down the road. I'll tell you that I wasn't even upset about the damage because it's an easy fix/replacement. Had I driven the car home w/out being informed, I would have freaked. Unfortunately a lot of cars are probably damaged and the owners don't even know it. Hopefully this thread could prevent any further occurences.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Your right !!

The only safe way to lift is with the drive on 4 post!! The pads may work for jacks but to lift the car none of our two post's will work correctly and we have at least 6 different type's. I am a dealer that is aware!!

rickisapilot

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
What about . . . ?

PILOTJPW1 said:
The only safe way to lift is with the drive on 4 post!! The pads may work for jacks but to lift the car none of our two post's will work correctly and we have at least 6 different type's. I am a dealer that is aware!!

Aren't there services where the GT will need to be lifted without sitting on its wheels? (The 4-post is a "drive on" ramp, right?). One example might be a clutch replacement where the axles come off & the transax is pulled out. Or, if not *that* service, aren't there times when the GT might have to be lifted with the wheels *hanging*? If so, how would a dealer lift the car? Because it sounds like the two post lift won't do it properly (maybe not even with the jack pads offered on this forum?).

----Rick

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Rick,

I started a thread pertaining to 4-post lifts here.

I hope this will answer some of your questions.