Oil Change interval for track use NGT

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I asked Sean Mason who manages Multimatic Motorsports what the oil change interval should be for NGT's that are tracked.

Question:

What do you recommend for oil change intervals for street GT's used on the track? I understand that the MKII should be every 6 hours of track time.

I changed oil after 600 break in street miles and have run it at several track events after the first oil change. Should I record street miles and hours on the track?

Answer:

Fred…. we do change the oil on the MKII’s about every 3 track days….so…that is about every 6 hours…..and….there is not much difference in engine spec. from the road car to the MKII….so….I would also probably use that as a safe number….when doing durability testing with the road cars…..we changed the oil on that schedule as well…..so…..I think that is the number.

I would record as you say…track miles and road miles as separate things….unless you drive it on the street with the same ferocity as the track…then….consider them all track miles….Ha!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I asked Sean Mason who manages Multimatic Motorsports what the oil change interval should be for NGT's that are tracked.

Question:

What do you recommend for oil change intervals for street GT's used on the track? I understand that the MKII should be every 6 hours of track time.

I changed oil after 600 break in street miles and have run it at several track events after the first oil change. Should I record street miles and hours on the track?

Answer:

Fred…. we do change the oil on the MKII’s about every 3 track days….so…that is about every 6 hours…..and….there is not much difference in engine spec. from the road car to the MKII….so….I would also probably use that as a safe number….when doing durability testing with the road cars…..we changed the oil on that schedule as well…..so…..I think that is the number.

I would record as you say…track miles and road miles as separate things….unless you drive it on the street with the same ferocity as the track…then….consider them all track miles….Ha!

Fred-

Interesting response from Multimatic but I honestly struggle to fully understand the 6 hour oil change logic. Possibly financially driven for oil sponsors?

The recommended oil for the GT be it Castrol or the Motorcraft 5W-50 as Ford recommends in ALL its high performance vehicle engines is a full synthetic grade oil. According to Wikipedia, “Synthetic oil is a lubricant consisting of chemical compounds that are artificially made. Synthetic lubricants can be manufactured using chemically modified petroleum components rather than whole crude oil, but can also be synthesized from other raw materials.”

Why recommend or develop a full synthetic oil for performance duty requirements? Because these oils do not "break down" nearly as quickly 100% petroleum based engine oils. The synthetic oils have superior extreme low and high temperature characteristics, better viscosity index, chemical and shear stability. The use of synthetic oils can lead to longer engine life with superior protection against “ash” and other deposit formation in engine hot spots for less oil burn-off and reduced chances of damaging oil passageway clogging.

Guess I would ask the Multimatic representative, when campaigning the new Ford GT at grueling race venues like the 24 hours of Daytona or 24 hours of LeMans or 12 hours of Sebring, how many times were the racecars brought to the pits to change the oil?

Reactions: Roadtrip

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Guess I would ask the Multimatic representative, when campaigning the new Ford GT at grueling race venues like the 24 hours of Daytona or 24 hours of LeMans or 12 hours of Sebring, how many times were the racecars brought to the pits to change the oil?
I don’t ever recall a pit stop including an oil change. Does anyone else?

Certainly, while the NGT is under warranty, change the oil per the warranty book. After that, do oil sampling and analysis. There is no need to change oil, especially full synthetic oil, at a arbitrary number of miles or hours if you analyze it and change it when required.

I do oil analysis on my 05 GT now, and go 10,000+ miles between changes (and the OReilly ORD stll good). I will extend it further now that I have data.

If I had received a NGT, I would be doing oil analysis every 5000 miles or so from new.