Oil Accumulation in Diffuser pan

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Weepage Accumulation in Diffuser pan?

Just noticed today an accumulation of lubricant in bottom of diffuser. Did not see drips from bolts, or leak from housing (was dry and spotless)...just a a dirty accumulation among other debris thats accumulated.

Is this vapor from Transaxle breather or weepage?

Was after a 3 hr drive with 80mph runs.

See pics, if this is more than normal accumulation after 5 years w/o cleaning let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

tony h

GT Owner
Jun 16, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi

I had the same problem on my car and it was gearbox oil that was escapng from the breather.

I purchased a transbreather kit and all is fine. :thumbsup

If you let me have your personal email address I will ping you over photos of the installation - very easy to install and not expensive. :biggrin

Tony H

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
do you have a transaxle cooler? if so make sure your fittings are not leaking....

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Freddy, No on transaxle cooler.

TOny, thanks on offer; unfortunately I dont have facilities to raise/work on car.

tony h

GT Owner
Jun 16, 2010
United Kingdom
You dont need any facilities as all work can be done from under clamshell.

Think all you need is a 13mm spanner (may have size wrong) but thats about it.

Trust me, if I can do this then it has to be simple :lol

Tony H

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
OK, sent PM

teej

GT Owner
Jan 12, 2010
West Los Angeles
I just noticed the same on my car as I was installing the borla exhaust. I havent taken it for a run yet, but the leak/seepage on my car seems to be coming from the circled location on the photo, a sensor of some sort on the drivers side of the transaxle.

So my question is how do I solve that? Is there a gasket/seal I should replace for that sensor? Should I not drive this till I address this (I am guessing that the top-off line for the transaxle oil is higher up than where this sensor is located) as I am not sure how much may have leaked out.

Thanks... sorry to hijack the thread

oilseep.jpg

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I just noticed the same on my car as I was installing the borla exhaust. I havent taken it for a run yet, but the leak/seepage on my car seems to be coming from the circled location on the photo, a sensor of some sort on the drivers side of the transaxle.

So my question is how do I solve that? Is there a gasket/seal I should replace for that sensor? Should I not drive this till I address this (I am guessing that the top-off line for the transaxle oil is higher up than where this sensor is located) as I am not sure how much may have leaked out.

The speedometer sensor is back there - mine had a pinched O-Ring at the factory installation, and was replaced under warranty - actually, they replaced the whole sensor, but only the O-Ring was the problem causing the leakage. It was changed when I had the transaxle fluid changed at 15,000 miles.

Last edited:

enrico

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2010
London, UK
Tony, PM sent as well. Thx!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
OK, I gotta say this. The oil breather kit is a fine piece of equipment that is functional, well-engineered and constructed and looks nice in the engine compartment. Further, in most cases it stops the weeping coming from the tranaxle breather. For those with no HP mods, no "spirited driving", and no driving in weather above 75 degrees, this is probably all that you will ever need.

However, the fact is that our tranaxles run at very high temperatures - especially when driven in warmer climates, especially if any engine enhancements, and especially if driven in a spirited manner. In these scenarios, the breather attacks (and solves) the breather weep... but this is largely solving the symptom and not the problem. A transaxle cooler solves the heat issue... and in almost all cases stops the weeping from the shift linkage area as well. The coolers require no cutting, drilling or other mods to your GT - they just help to cool the transaxle fluid. The transaxle already has an internal pump, in and out -an ports... and a short 10" braided hose connecting the "in" to the "out". The coolers replace this short piece of hose with a proper heat exchanger and in most cases added oil cooling capacity.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Get nota4re's Cool Tech transaxle cooler. Problem solved.