Ohio Mile Coming in Spring 2012 (?)

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
(sorry if I missed any previous posts on this--a basic search didn't turn anything (recent) up).

Looks like us Midwest / East-coast folks may get a chance at running a standing mile without having to go all the way to Texas or California.

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Break...Landed-a-New-Home-at-Wilmington-Air-Park.html

and another link (both are from September):

http://www.wnewsj.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=192878&SectionID=49&SubSectionID=&S=1

Keep your fingers crossed!

(If anyone knows of any other standing-mile opportunities in the midwest, I'd love to hear about them).

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Ahhh the Maxton Miles's new location. It was posted a few months ago

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Has anyone attended the Maxton with their GT? Will they accept a 200+ run without a roll-cage in the GT?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Has anyone attended the Maxton with their GT? Will they accept a 200+ run without a roll-cage in the GT?

it was within 1.5 hr's from me..... tried ~2 yr.'s ago to get on in the over 140mph class. They DEMANDED a full cage!

Told them to Pi$$ OFF if I remember right...

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
There is one in Nebraska also in the summer time. They do it once a year. I forget what it is called off the top of my head.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Well maybe that venue would be open to rentals that are not Maxton related. The reality is that 99.9% of street cars aren't going to get a cage, and so many cars go way north of 170 in near stock form that it's a big time detriment to the event.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Well maybe that venue would be open to rentals that are not Maxton related. The reality is that 99.9% of street cars aren't going to get a cage, and so many cars go way north of 170 in near stock form that it's a big time detriment to the event.

I agree. I don't think I would have caged my GT if it was required at the Texas Mile.

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
These Wilmington Mile (aka Ohio Mile) events in 2012 are apparently being run by ECTA. I'll put in inquiry in to see what the requirements will be. The goal will be to get them to accept the same process that resulted in roll cages not being required for FGTs in Texas or California at those well-known "mile" events. If there's any pushback it'd be helpful to know who helped push that through and what kind of expert opinion / documentation was used to carry that judgment.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
If there's any pushback it'd be helpful to know who helped push that through and what kind of expert opinion / documentation was used to carry that judgment.

You could make the argument that the Ford GT had the highest crush weight of any vehicle ever tested. I think the other documentation most likely came in the form of lots of checks, Visa, Mastercard and American Express purchases of $350 entry fees from guys with Ford GTs that wanted to go 200 mph.

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
UPDATE:

Had an email exchange with the ECTA President today. Guess I'm back to deciding if I want to bite the bullet for Texas. :-/

Here's what he said:
"It is all about your safety and NOT about making money. I build race cars for a living and have done crash investigation for NHRA, IHRA, SCTA and ECTA. I am a factory trained Hans Devise retailer. This training and experience has allowed me to see first hand the damage to vehicle and person that a crash causes. I have personally crashed at 195 mph, going airborne 85 feet and landed of the drivers side when my chute failed to deploy properly. I walked away because I dressed for the crash properly.

We have gotten info from the factories on Vipers and Vettes and with a racing seat, arm restraints and 5 way racing belt system, allow them to run up to 150 mph.

The limit without a rollbar/cage is 135 mph. A 4 point rollbar is 150 and 175 if it is a 6 point rollbar."

So, basically, even if your car comes from the factory able to do 190mph+, unless you want to modify the crap out of it, rending it MUCH less usable for street, you'd be driving in a "speed" event where you could accelerate for about (or less than!) a half mile, and then just had to coast the rest of the mile. <snore>

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
UPDATE:

Had an email exchange with the ECTA President today. Guess I'm back to deciding if I want to bite the bullet for Texas. :-/

Here's what he said:
"It is all about your safety and NOT about making money. I build race cars for a living and have done crash investigation for NHRA, IHRA, SCTA and ECTA. I am a factory trained Hans Devise retailer. This training and experience has allowed me to see first hand the damage to vehicle and person that a crash causes. I have personally crashed at 195 mph, going airborne 85 feet and landed of the drivers side when my chute failed to deploy properly. I walked away because I dressed for the crash properly.

We have gotten info from the factories on Vipers and Vettes and with a racing seat, arm restraints and 5 way racing belt system, allow them to run up to 150 mph.

The limit without a rollbar/cage is 135 mph. A 4 point rollbar is 150 and 175 if it is a 6 point rollbar."

So, basically, even if your car comes from the factory able to do 190mph+, unless you want to modify the crap out of it, rending it MUCH less usable for street, you'd be driving in a "speed" event where you could accelerate for about (or less than!) a half mile, and then just had to coast the rest of the mile. <snore>

We will welcome you at the Texas Mile. :)

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
Word on the Wilmington Mile forums is "...the folks at the Texas mile have increased the roll cage requirements recently to 8 point for cars going 215 mph or more. And even have a requirement now for 190 mph cars."

I hope that's not true or I'm going to have to break down and rewrite my bucket list, because I'm not bolting anything like that into my beautiful GT! :)

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Word on the Wilmington Mile forums is "...the folks at the Texas mile have increased the roll cage requirements recently to 8 point for cars going 215 mph or more. And even have a requirement now for 190 mph cars."

I hope that's not true or I'm going to have to break down and rewrite my bucket list, because I'm not bolting anything like that into my beautiful GT! :)

The Texas Mile does NOT require a roll cage in any way for Ford GT's for any speed. This is FACT.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I Luv Area 51 :biggrin

some laws are just meant to be broken....