OEM Mat Fix

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
As we know, most if not all of us have had to deal with the leaking, gooey glue that was used to adhere the rubber mats to the foam backing/insulation.

I recently pulled my "retired" mats out of storage and then revisited all the threads from years back to see if someone had tried to fix the issue. I wanted to make the mats in the GT serviceable, just to change things up from time to time, without having to clean up the sticky mess left behind when they are removed.

I could not find a thread on somehow fixing the issue, so I went forward this weekend with an idea I had.

First, I removed sections of the foam around the perimeter of the mats where the glue had seeped out. Second, I used paint thinner to clean all the glue residue off the backside of the rubber mats. (Boy was THAT fun!) Third, I purchased some 1/2" foam insulation in sheet form, actually pipe insulation is what I found that somewhat resembled the density of the OEM foam. Importantly, this foam sheet is also designed to use adhesive on one side. Fourth, I purchased some 3M Spray adhesive, kind of a generic adhesive with the designation "77" on the can.

I will post pictures of the finished product when I get home later today. Granted, this is not a perfectly matched and seamless looking repair, but since this is the underside of the mats, I was not intent on perfection, just get them back in usable condition. I also have yet to put them to use, but will do so over the next month or so.

Here are the photos of the passenger mat, the driver mat looks the same. My hope is the remaining glue and foam will not continue to deteriorate and ooze out since it had yet to do so. My hope however is dim. If it does continue to make a mess then I'm resigned to pull everything off, clean all the backside of the mat and install a complete one piece new foam insert.

Last edited:

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Looking forward to the pictures. Thanks for posting this up.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Good, helpful project!

As an FYI, storing the OEM Mats; best way is to line them up perfectly back to back, so goo seeps in to each others "backs"

Goo Gone works to remove goop.

Mats are an issue with all cars...

I spent a weekend, taking the plastic heel-pad off of my '68 SL square-weave wool carpet mat.

Mold had gotten in and only way was to remove pad, stitch by stitch; rinse with boiling pots of water, and leave in direct sunlight on roof for 5 days. UV and heat from roof/sun kills all. Wool shrunk and stitches cant be seen.

Had to read housewife blogs to get that done; no mold but some MILFs PM'm me.

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
but some MILFs PM'm me.

:rofl:rofl:rofl

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I wish someone here has a connection with WeatherTech and can get them to make floor mats for our GTs. I'd really like a set that goes up the sides to protect the side rails and center tunnel. <sigh>

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I put those POS mats in the trash can, problem solved.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I put those POS mats in the trash can, problem solved.

I hear you Clinton. I just had to give this a try, figured not much to lose!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I hear you Clinton. I just had to give this a try, figured not much to lose!

I had them "stored" for years in a plastic bag under a parked car. They kept on oozing more slime. I said WTF am I saving them for? I'm never going to use them. Cleaning up the sticky slime is a PITA and it seems to never stop.

I hope your efforts are rewarded.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
but some MILFs PM'm me.

My hero.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I hope your efforts are rewarded.

Thanks. I put them in the GT so now I'll see what happens.