Odometer rollback

M

Mark O

Since these vehicles have an electronic odometer, is it possible for the odometer to be rolled back. If so, can the vehicle's computer disclose this information. I may have suspicions about my vehicle.

Thanks in advance

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It is possible, but I think the odometer module would have to be replaced to do it.

BlackICE

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
I said in a previous post that my car had 3,800 miles, but I meant 800. My bad.

M

Mark O

It is possible, but I think the odometer module would have to be replaced to do it.

BlackICE

Will the vehicle's computer store this information?

Tommy

GT Owner
Oct 29, 2006
I said in a previous post that my car had 3,800 miles, but I meant 800. My bad.

:lol :rofl

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Since these vehicles have an electronic odometer, is it possible for the odometer to be rolled back. If so, can the vehicle's computer disclose this information. I may have suspicions about my vehicle.

Thanks in advance

Yes it is possible and it is actually very easy if you have a single part, about 20 minuets of time and basic hand tools.

One of the GT's in my family was accidentally rolled back to 4.9 miles at Ford. A few of us were watching intently on what they were doing.

As far as it being disclosed in one of the computers, I have no idea.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
totally illegal, totally unethical, an ass-o-lutely a crime that should put folks behind bars...:bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
totally illegal, totally unethical, an ass-o-lutely a crime that should put folks behind bars...:bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs

I figured out that bony is an individual with much knowledge, and is always correct in most instances. Rolling back the odometer is a federal crime in the U.S. of A., but.......it does not stop some people to do it. In order to erase any odometer descrepancy, one would have to replace the main computer in the car that stores all of this info, including any codes that might point to a general malfunction in that vehicle. In order to replace the computer, most dealers require that you give one to get one....and that (faulty) computer is then returned to their respective manufacturer to be checked out. I'm sure it is very bothersome to look for something suspicious, like mileage tampering, but if you wanted to...it can be done. If you feel that the mileage in your car was possibly rolled back,,,I believe a Ford Dealer may have a way to find out.
The problem is, would a Dealer tell you, knowing you may get someone a few years in jail?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Everytime a car goes has warranty work, insurance claim, smog checks, changes hand the mileage is recorded. Everytime a car goes into a shop they normally record the mileage, a good investigator can find these things out., There are records that can be found..., but why risk everything for a small gain.Whoever does this is a cheater who is committing fraud.

Does it happen, every day, just like peope shoplift, cheat at cards, steal.

Sorry to be so blunt and direct.

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
I remember a small dealer in the town I grew up in going to jail for a few years over that. Piece of shit. When I was in the car business, we had this family of gypsies that came in once every couple of months or so trying to trade cars in. They would bring a worn out vehicle in with 30k on the odometer when it actually probably had closer to 130k. Shaving 10k or so wouldn't be so noticeable, but they were shaving with a lawn mower. It was always so obvious! They were always a huge pain in the ass, so we'd send the new guys out to talk to them!

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
rolled back odomiters

Everytime a car goes has warranty work, insurance claim, smog checks, changes hand the mileage is recorded. Everytime a car goes into a shop they normally record the mileage, a good investigator can find these things out., There are records that can be found..., but why risk everything for a small gain.Whoever does this is a cheater who is committing fraud.

Does it happen, every day, just like peope shoplift, cheat at cards, steal.

Sorry to be so blunt and direct.

Whin I was a kid my VW bug broke the odomiter /speedo cable. The documentation and paper work were a night mare just to have it repaired and recorded with signed statments and all to the dmv.:ack Now that was a true parts failure but I cann't even imagine the grief they would give you if it was tampered with. They would probobly give you a longer sentance than a convicted sex offender in this state.:frown

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Tossin Fly a Heineken, (Or at least spellcheck) :cheers