OBD tool/scanner

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I recently purchased a OBD device to use with my car, but for what ever reason, when plugged in, it can't seem to communicate with the PCM. Is there some programming trickery in our FGT processors that must be dealt with for access?

Tried the unit on my truck and it works fine.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

mardyn

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Possibly has a nonstock tune?

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Hmmmm.... possibly, tune is by Torrie, but I can't really see that aspect denying the scan device access to the PCM.

Good thinking... keep those suggestions coming.

mardyn

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Possibly has a nonstock tune?

That shouldn't be relevant. Device type ?

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Here's the device I'm trying to use:

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

Tried it on my '04 Chevy Z71 & it linked up immediately, no so much so with the FGT.
The techs over at UG are on it as well.

mardyn

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
If you can com with your programmer and cannot with this its a device issue you'll have to let them sort out. I have never used one.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
My SCT unit worked fine last time I had it on... I'll check it tomorrow and verify it can still communicate with the car.

Thanks for the help.

mardyn

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
My SCT unit worked fine last time I had it on... I'll check it tomorrow and verify it can still communicate with the car.

Thanks for the help.

mardyn

no problem !!

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
i had same issue... i have a program (VAGCOM) i use to scan my audi. It's specifically for the audi, and can do a full scan of every module on the car, including cycling the brakes, the stereo, the AC etc etc... it ALSO works fine on my NSX, and can run realtime diagnostics on the NSX, such as intake temps, boost/vacuum, RPM, speed etc... but it never could communicate with the FGT. So i bought the SCT with the heffner tune, and it works fine.

Mase

GT Owner
Dec 23, 2006
Jacksonville, Florida
Its actually due to the differences in OBD2 Protcols. The device you have is probably not compatible.

If memory serves me correct, ford uses J1850 PWM protocol and CAN BUS on the GT.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Its actually due to the differences in OBD2 Protcols. The device you have is probably not compatible.

If memory serves me correct, ford uses J1850 PWM protocol and CAN BUS on the GT.

Yeah, they're (Ultra Gauge peeps) are at a bit of a loss to explain it.... without a car or FGT PCM to examine, it appears that
the unit is incompatible, at least for now.

.and this thing was gonna' be such an elegant temporary solution to my dash gauge failures
while we await for an actual solution from our friends at SVT.

The display searches for a variety of OBD2 protocols (including J1850 VPM) but apparently, our GT PCMs are slightly
different from Ford's standard car stuff...

Is there any documentation (service lit or schematics) that would identify which encoding is used in our cars?

mardyn