Nurburgring VLN-01 J2Racing

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Hi folks,
I'm happy to report the fledgling J2RACING team finished its first VLN race at the Nurburgring this weekend, 4 hr endurance VLN-01. During the winter, our friends at Frikadelli Racing built us a very nice 981 Cayman for V6 class, which is a 3.5 liter production class permitting only exhaust and suspension changes, a 5% hp increase and a min wt of 1325kg. It's usually the most popular class running M3's, Carrera's, 911's etc, normally aspirated and usually has 15-20 cars in class. 170 cars started the race, we qualified 90 overall and started 8 in class behind the big gun GT3 and Cup cars.

We have 3 drivers running 4 stints for fuel management. We finished 73/170 overall (up from a start pos of 90) and held our start position in class. We are very pleased with this for our first VLN and for a new car that is still being developed. We went through several setups during free practice and still have a few places on the circuit where the car needs to be settled just a bit more, but everyone is happy and finishing was the first order of business. The VLN series is a monster of a race, mixing lots of classes on a difficult circuit. Big big fun.

Janine took the start, I ran the middle and our co-driver Antony Ashley ran third, then Janine hopped back in for the finish. The Frikadelli Racing Team crew of Klaus Abbelen and Sabine Schmitz took great care of us and really did a fabulous job with the car, they have a great team and we're happy to be in their pit box. We have 9 more races for the season there and the car and drivers will continue to develop nicely. It's a great car, we're getting to know it and we expect to become very competitive in class as the season progresses. If anyone comes over for a race or some track time at the ring, please look us up. RSR-Nurburg runs a great shop for car rental and training at the ring, and they have a great operation for SPA which is 50 min away. We go there during the week with them.

Next race is this weekend in the RCN time trial, and then VLN-02 in two weeks. We're very fortunate to have this opportunity and to have so many great friends who have helped us in this sport. My thanks also to Sasha Fassbender European GT here on the forum, he also runs a great support shop there and has provided us with much valued advice and guidance. We are rather new and this is certainly the deep end of the pool, but - alles its gut , and we're quite happy to be here.

Some pics;

Janine on the grid for the start with her car boss 'Texas', and some on track photos. If you've never followed a VLN on the iPhone app Racetracker it's a madhouse out there, here's a look at a screenshot during the race, you can find the J2 car #399 in the mix coming onto Döttinger Hohe straight. You can also see the Ford GT3 car #777 just coming out of Ex-Müle (he will pass us soon enough- and likely more than once). One of the biggest challenges of the VLN is traffic management.

Attachments

• IMG_6915.jpg
    IMG_6915.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_6919.jpg
    IMG_6919.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_6921.jpg
    IMG_6921.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 252
  • img_2004_20140322_1333467522.jpg
    img_2004_20140322_1333467522.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 271
  • VLN14A_0817R.jpg
    VLN14A_0817R.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Congratulations indeed, that's an amazing beginning, it is a very challenging track! As to the circuit, it appears from your pictures that you are using both the current F1 (start/finish pix) and the old Nurburgring circuit. If so, is a total lap ~ 16 miles? Love the pic of the hand held timing/scoring, talk about traffic!!

Best of luck for the season!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Congrats John and Janine! And Antony too...what flag is he flying on the car? Gorgeous car.

Frikadelli Racing. lmao. I guess that's a take off on "frikadelle," which is like a cross between a hamburger and a meatball.

Sounds like you are having great fun. :)

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Congrats John and Janine! And Antony too...what flag is he flying on the car? Gorgeous car.

Frikadelli Racing. lmao. I guess that's a take off on "frikadelle," which is like a cross between a hamburger and a meatball.

Sounds like you are having great fun. :)

Frikadelli is the trade name of Abbelen foods. Yes, they make German meatballs. Pretty tasty too! And Antony is a very talented South African driver who taught us the ring last year.

As a Ford GT owner, you missed to tell us something !!

you forgot to mention, that the VLN car number 777, a Ford GT came in at the sixt place of the race, while the Frikadelli Porsche did not finish the race.
I think that that would have been modest and fair after your long story about that Porsche Cayman, because this is a Ford GT Forum, got it ?
Felix

Hi folks,
I'm happy to report the fledgling J2RACING team finished its first VLN race at the Nurburgring this weekend, 4 hr endurance VLN-01. During the winter, our friends at Frikadelli Racing built us a very nice 981 Cayman for V6 class, which is a 3.5 liter production class permitting only exhaust and suspension changes, a 5% hp increase and a min wt of 1325kg. It's usually the most popular class running M3's, Carrera's, 911's etc, normally aspirated and usually has 15-20 cars in class. 170 cars started the race, we qualified 90 overall and started 8 in class behind the big gun GT3 and Cup cars.

We have 3 drivers running 4 stints for fuel management. We finished 73/170 overall (up from a start pos of 90) and held our start position in class. We are very pleased with this for our first VLN and for a new car that is still being developed. We went through several setups during free practice and still have a few places on the circuit where the car needs to be settled just a bit more, but everyone is happy and finishing was the first order of business. The VLN series is a monster of a race, mixing lots of classes on a difficult circuit. Big big fun.

Janine took the start, I ran the middle and our co-driver Antony Ashley ran third, then Janine hopped back in for the finish. The Frikadelli Racing Team crew of Klaus Abbelen and Sabine Schmitz took great care of us and really did a fabulous job with the car, they have a great team and we're happy to be in their pit box. We have 9 more races for the season there and the car and drivers will continue to develop nicely. It's a great car, we're getting to know it and we expect to become very competitive in class as the season progresses. If anyone comes over for a race or some track time at the ring, please look us up. RSR-Nurburg runs a great shop for car rental and training at the ring, and they have a great operation for SPA which is 50 min away. We go there during the week with them.

Next race is this weekend in the RCN time trial, and then VLN-02 in two weeks. We're very fortunate to have this opportunity and to have so many great friends who have helped us in this sport. My thanks also to Sasha Fassbender European GT here on the forum, he also runs a great support shop there and has provided us with much valued advice and guidance. We are rather new and this is certainly the deep end of the pool, but - alles its gut , and we're quite happy to be here.

Some pics;

Janine on the grid for the start with her car boss 'Texas', and some on track photos. If you've never followed a VLN on the iPhone app Racetracker it's a madhouse out there, here's a look at a screenshot during the race, you can find the J2 car #399 in the mix coming onto Döttinger Hohe straight. You can also see the Ford GT3 car #777 just coming out of Ex-Müle (he will pass us soon enough- and likely more than once). One of the biggest challenges of the VLN is traffic management.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
John and Janine Congrats to you both! I know of nothing more fun than racing! I only wish I was there with you guys!

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Hello John/Jeanine
Great report and pictures ! Congratulations on the race and the finish. I can imagine that managing traffic is a big part of this race with so many cars and different classes. Glad you guys are having fun. Hope to see you all again soon

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
you forgot to mention, that the VLN car number 777, a Ford GT came in at the sixt place of the race, while the Frikadelli Porsche did not finish the race.
I think that that would have been modest and fair after your long story about that Porsche Cayman, because this is a Ford GT Forum, got it ?
Felix

Hey Felix, nice to hear from you. So where is all that Nazi gold anyway?

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Felix

Well Felix not sure where your comments are coming from but that was/is about an assinine statement you made. John and Jeanine are well liked members of this forum and owners of two Ford GT's and have made many interesting and informational posts. They have every right to tell their friends of their racing endeavors in their PORSCHE. They made them in Sound and Vision so I believe they are fully aware this is a Ford GT forum so maybe you need to "Get It"
Steve