No plate

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Driving the GT 100 yards from my house.
Town cop in the on coming lane hangs a u turn and follows me into my driveway.
"You know that you don't have a front plate on that car!"
"Yea, ruins the look of the car and makes it overheat."
"OK. Beautiful car! Have a good day."
Nice!
Mark

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Your lucky, my buddy in NY got two tickets in his Viper for not having a front plate. What state do you live in?

John

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
NY
Have been driving the "play" cars for years with no front plate.
This was the third time I was stopped.
No tickets.
If you are polite and explain, the LEO's that I have come across will let it go with a "verbal warning".

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Cop pulls you over for no front plate wants to check you or car out. No plate was the excuse.

Ed

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Cop pulls you over for no front plate wants to check you or car out. No plate was the excuse.

Ed

EGG-zackly...But where I live that will NOT be where the purpose of 'the stop' ends...

Last edited:

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Living in Utah where they ' require ' front plates...I have never had a front plate on any car and only when I get pulled over has anyone said anything, but never a ticket...I just say that this car does not have a mount for one from the factory.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Driving my GT to Florida from Illinois where I bought it, a cop chased me down in north Florida and yelled at me for having no plates on the car. I don't know if it is the same now, but back then the temp tags Illinois issued were literally the size of a business card. He cracked a joke when it saw it and we shared a laugh at the expense of the good state of Illinois. He wanted to see the car so I opened everything up. It looked like a South Florida drug bust on the side of the road.

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
I have gotten two of those fix it tickets. One on the porsche which was parked in a driveway nose in. The second on the GT after being tailed 7 miles. The CHP never was in front of the car not even when he was writing the ticket. California land of the not so free:eek:bs. At least they are only a fix it ticket and not a moving violation:ack:dead:. I now carry the plates and a mower deck plate holder that screws into the tow hook mount. Now I can ask them to sign the fix it on the spot to save a trip to the station:bang:mad.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Now I can ask them to sign the fix it on the spot to save a trip to the station:bang:mad.

That could net you a TICKET ticket as he might then just decide, 'Hey, you had the plate mounting hardware in your car all along and yet you CHOSE to run w/o the plate? Sign here, sir...'

'Something to ponder...

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
If I just left it in the garage with the door closed it wouldn't be an issue. Nice to here from you pockets:cheers But you do have a point:bang
That could net you a TICKET ticket as he might then just decide, 'Hey, you had the plate mounting hardware in your car all along and yet you CHOSE to run w/o the plate? Sign here, sir...'

'Something to ponder...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
But you do have a point:bang

Yeah, I know...but, if I comb my hair different, no one usually notices.

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
At least you still have some hair to comb:troll
Yeah, I know...but, if I comb my hair different, no one usually notices.

GTHunter

GT Owner
Feb 14, 2012
Houston, TX
I will never run a front plate on the GT..

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Agreed... Nor will I ever run the slightest of restriction to exhaust gasses. Draw or fold?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Around here a 'no front plate' ticket is often referred to as "just another GT tax"...

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Around here a 'no front plate' ticket is often referred to as "just another GT tax"...
Only for those that drive them!!!