No more mail order Ida Exhaust

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
After reading reports from some of our Ida exhaust owners, I finally decided to take the plunge. Called today and was informed no more mail order exhaust. You have to get a full Ida package at their shop to get the exhaust. Doesn't make sense to me not to sell products he's developed, but it's his decision.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
I'd look at the Stillen exhaust. Very similar design but the ceramic coating should help keep heat out of the engine bay and airbox.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Bart, I just got back from Ft. Lauderdale and a ride with FlorIdaho Chris. The Heffner exhaust was awesome.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Has anyone considered a wrap for their exhaust system? I saw pictures of Shadowman's Accufab and that really seems like a better way to reduce heat.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Has anyone considered a wrap for their exhaust system? I saw pictures of Shadowman's Accufab and that really seems like a better way to reduce heat.

Bony: There was an article - with pics - in Hot Rod mag (or one such pub) several years ago wherein they stated that wrapping headers produced a climate were the carbon in the header tubes was "baked out" leaving the 'tubes pitted and the metal weak. I then unwrapped MINE and checked 'em. They WERE pitted! So, I removed the wrap!

Now, I don't know if wrapping the cat backs would net the same result result because of their distance from the 'ports, but, it may be a consideration.

I'll bow to the opinion of Jay or Bill or Kendall et al on this one. 'Just a "heads up" pending their input. Since Bill already PUT it on his setup, the question is pbly already answered! But, I don't know if he knew about this issue before hand.

(As you're pbly aware - the heat wrap DOES work. You can touch the stuff at operating temps and not burn yourself.)

Last edited:

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Wrapping kills the headers. IMHO ceramic coating is the way to fly.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Bony: There was an article - with pics - in Hot Rod mag (or one such pub) several years ago wherein they stated that wrapping headers produced a climate were the carbon in the header tubes was "baked out" leaving the 'tubes pitted and the metal weak. I then unwrapped MINE and checked 'em. They WERE pitted! So, I removed the wrap!

Now, I don't know if wrapping the cat backs would net the same result result because of their distance from the 'ports, but, it may be a consideration.

I'll bow to the opinion of Jay or Bill or Kendall et al on this one. 'Just a "heads up" pending their input. Since Bill already PUT it on his setup, the question is pbly already answered! But, I don't know if he knew about this issue before hand.

(As you're pbly aware - the heat wrap DOES work. You can touch the stuff at operating temps and not burn yourself.)
EP,

Interesting info. Were the headers mild steel instead of stainless steel? If they were SS, do you know what alloy it was? I agree with you to question the effect of the cat-back system, due to lower surface temperatures.

I plan on wrapping my new "GT Classic" exhaust, much in the way Bill did.

Jay

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Ida exhaust system for sale soon

After reading reports from some of our Ida exhaust owners, I finally decided to take the plunge. Called today and was informed no more mail order exhaust. You have to get a full Ida package at their shop to get the exhaust. Doesn't make sense to me not to sell products he's developed, but it's his decision.
Bart,

I may have a Ida exhaust system for sale soon. It has about 1,500 miles on it and I have brand new exhaust flange gaskets if needed. It sounds good, especially when decelerating. Just let me know if interested.

Jay
(949) 366-1211

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Bart,

I may have a Ida exhaust system for sale soon. It has about 1,500 miles on it and I have brand new exhaust flange gaskets if needed. It sounds good, especially when decelerating. Just let me know if interested.

Jay
(949) 366-1211

Thanks, sold!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
EP,

Interesting info. Were the headers mild steel instead of stainless steel? If they were SS, do you know what alloy it was? I agree with you to question the effect of the cat-back system, due to lower surface temperatures.

I plan on wrapping my new "GT Classic" exhaust, much in the way Bill did.

Jay

They were just your std, everyday mild steel tubing headers ...like Hooker, Jardine, Doug Thorley, etc. I've never seen/heard about the wraps detrimental effects on stnls being THAT severe, but, it has to heat up everything wrapped in it pretty 'good' because there's no place for all the heat to go but out the tail pipes! 'No idea what it might do to SS header alloy(s) or not. 'Just wanted to throw the info out there in case.

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005

Have done it works just fine. The alleged negatives have been beaten to death on other threads.

WIll be taking to the track where it should show the most improvement.

Dave

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Bart, I sent you a PM. I have a very nice IDA exhaust (less than 3 hours on it) that I will sell. I installed it and later decided that I wanted to keep the car stock Ford. PM me if you (or anyone else) is interested. You won't be disappointed with the qaulity or the sound! PD

Aug 25, 2006
They were just your std, everyday mild steel tubing headers ...like Hooker, Jardine, Doug Thorley, etc. I've never seen/heard about the wraps detrimental effects on stnls being THAT severe, but, it has to heat up everything wrapped in it pretty 'good' because there's no place for all the heat to go but out the tail pipes! 'No idea what it might do to SS header alloy(s) or not. 'Just wanted to throw the info out there in case.

The information as you shared is correct as we also did testing many years ago and in the end we now only wrap the headers in extreme situations however aft of the cats particularly on a system such as the AccuFab there would be no associated problems; only wonderful secondary benefits as the result of less radiant heat.

All the best

Shadowman