news of whipple 4.5l?

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
i think the tuners are the best to ask locally to us, but since the 4.0 has a 30+rwhp boost over the 3.4, i'd guess its around the same... idk how the heat of the intake charge will affect it.

This is true in most cases. The guy who tunes my car is not just a tuner he's the national distributor for Superchips,JMS,etc. So he's constantly over there in California and other places visiting contacts, he pretty much knows and everyone in the Ford community. 2 weeks back he was shown the Galpin GTR1 prototype and shown a room with a few low mileage donor GT's for conversion to $$Galpins for example..So I'd say he's a bit better placed than your average tuner in trying to obtain info directly from Whipple.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
That $$Galpin GTR just ain't growin' on me...or is it "Scalpin" GTR?

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
That $$Galpin GTR just ain't growin' on me...or is it "Scalpin" GTR?

Most def Scalpin. Such an absurdly expensive way to ruin the classic lines of the GT. I think it's a travesty for them to do that to that to mint cond GT's. If they want to do it, they should at least use ones that have clocked some decent miles.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
No GT should be a "donor." Look at that ugly intake and flat nose. It looks like an early rejected clay model of the GT. Criminal to lose GTs to that.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Hopefully no takers on that car, saw it at sema, didn't like it. Hopefully the captive gt's on death row will be sold untouched.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Most def Scalpin. Such an absurdly expensive way to ruin the classic lines of the GT. I think it's a travesty for them to do that to that to mint cond GT's. If they want to do it, they should at least use ones that have clocked some decent miles.

Please don't tell me they use a perfectly good FGT and turn into that thing? I thought they just built it.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Please don't tell me they use a perfectly good FGT and turn into that thing? I thought they just built it.

Afraid so. There was a thread on these monstrosities a few months back. Sentiments were the same. Ridiculous thing to do to such a unique and beautiful car.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Well, all it's gonna do is raise the value of the FGT as they become more rare. Not like anyone will be looking at numbers matching when buying a Scalpin FGTR Donor Special - LOL

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Well, all it's gonna do is raise the value of the FGT as they become more rare. Not like anyone will be looking at numbers matching when buying a Scalpin FGTR Donor Special - LOL

True that. But, it hurts knowing such a unique car gets destroyed like that...almost like they are getting crushed:(.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ Torque curve took a big hit below 4,000 rpm with the 4.5L. About 200 lb/ft less at 3,000 rpm, if my eyes aren't getting crossed on the graph. Too bad they didn't dyno it with the 4.5 but before the bigger diameter pipes.

Of course, that car may not spend much, if any, time under 4,000 rpm.

Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
what's interesting is the effect this product had on the blood flow to my reproductive region. boing!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Wow... How much of the air intake system has to be changed out?

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
When you start getting over 800HP, and you will with the 4.5 at 19 PSI, the weak link becomes the intake anyway. I'm tuned to around 781 on my 4.0 and while we were getting more at some point, my AFR's were getting sloppy in the high 6k RPM range, like more fuel and less air than we would have liked - spiking, and we felt that there just wasn't enough air anymore. I'm in the process of fabricating a new intake that will be far less restrictive than the stock airbox. I'm going to a 21 PSI pulley from a 19 and I bet I will see close to 100 HP gains from the two mods combined. So, truthfully, if I were installing a 4.5, I wouldn't give a 2nd thought to changing the intake anyway. I wanted to do it a while back, but when I found a 4K sticker price on it, I decided to fabricate it myself, as some others here have done. We're going for the most sq inches of filter surface area we can get...aiming for the least amount of restriction possible while still filtering.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
So, truthfully, if I were installing a 4.5, I wouldn't give a 2nd thought to changing the intake anyway.

So...is this the bottom line?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
When you start getting over 800HP, and you will with the 4.5 at 19 PSI, the weak link becomes the intake anyway. I'm tuned to around 781 on my 4.0 and while we were getting more at some point, my AFR's were getting sloppy in the high 6k RPM range, like more fuel and less air than we would have liked - spiking, and we felt that there just wasn't enough air anymore. I'm in the process of fabricating a new intake that will be far less restrictive than the stock airbox. I'm going to a 21 PSI pulley from a 19 and I bet I will see close to 100 HP gains from the two mods combined. So, truthfully, if I were installing a 4.5, I wouldn't give a 2nd thought to changing the intake anyway. I wanted to do it a while back, but when I found a 4K sticker price on it, I decided to fabricate it myself, as some others here have done. We're going for the most sq inches of filter surface area we can get...aiming for the least amount of restriction possible while still filtering.

what size fuel injectors do you have?

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
I'm still on the stock injectors, but duty cycles were somewhere in the 60-65% range when we last Dyno'd at 781. You suggesting I go up in size?

@Xcentric - for me anyway, but I'm changing it now on my 4.0 in any case

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Anyone actually using the 4.5? Results? Fueling solution?