New to the forum

H

HHGT

Hi guys. I am from a Los Angeles suburb. I recently sold one of my businesses and now in the mode of fulfilling my child (and Adult) hood dreams. I will be selling my Zo6 (and Prowler) and moving up to the GT. They both have been great fun cars.

I have a few questions though.

1) Is a Red w/ stripes and all options for MSRP ($166K) a fair deal?
2) Has anyone had their car delivered out of state (Nevada) signed for across the state line and delivered right back to California, followed by a registration in Nevada via an agent. I do have a Nevada Address but not a Driver's license - yet..
3) Has anyone paid in full for the car and turned around and leased it back to your own company?
4) If anyone is in or around Hacienda Heights (or further) is willing to chat with me privately and possibly give me a ride - for a fee of course - it would be appreciated.

Sam

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If it's an '06 car, that's a fair deal if it has all the options (stripes, Mac stereo, BBS wheels and painted calipers). If it's an '05 built before July '05, then they're asking about 10K too much. I just bought mine outright since my accountant said we couldn't substantiate a good reason to do otherwise. Licensing across state lines I don't know about, but registration in Calif. is supposed to be a problem if you don't buy the car in state. Something to do with how often it has to be smogged. Check back in the old threads on this issue.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Sam,

I think that the GT will exceed all of your expectations. Regarding your questions;

1.) MSRP for an '06 car is a fair deal. If you have time and shipping is not a problem, then you might do a little better - but it may be a hassle and you also have shipping costs, etc.
2.) I think the CA DMV has plugged all of the holes in the dam. I'm not sure I follow eactly what you're asking, but there's likely a difference between what you can get away with initially and what you can get away with over time. You probably can manage to get the registered in NV, but if/when you are pulled over and have only a CA driver's license, you may have an issue.
3.) This is what accountant are paid for. I'm not one.
4.) You probably can't imagine the number of owners on this board (including myself) who purchased without even having ridden in one. Without exception, all have commented that the driving experience has exceeded their highest expectations. Although I know exactly why you're asking, you can skip this step with confidence.

I hope you are an owner soon!

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
nota4re said:
Hi Sam,

4.) You probably can't imagine the number of owners on this board (including myself) who purchased without even having ridden in one. Without exception, all have commented that the driving experience has exceeded their highest expectations. Although I know exactly why you're asking, you can skip this step with confidence.

I hope you are an owner soon!

I agree, having been one of those purchasing without having ridden in one, it is ... well ... its just awsome! You'll need nothing esle, well maybe just the TT and the shortie shifter and the GTB doors and of course that damn nuclear light we're all waiting for :thumbsup and ... well, you get the idea!

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Yep, no need to test drive for me either...

I bought mine, and I was gonna' love it, regardless of how it drove... and btw... it drives great!

mardyn

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Same here. Never drove it prior to purchase, and I was not the first to drive it after purchase. Indeed, had only seen one in person, flying by me on the interstate.

Delivery is not a problem although it can be pricey and in some cases, it may take awhile for the carrier to have a run in your direction.

I cannot imagine a car giving more pleasure.

- doc

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Welcome.
Check the CHP web site for a whistle blower connection to drop the dime on registration scoflaws... don't do it. If you buy the car out of state, keep it out of California for a year, you can beat the California sales tax. Good luck.
When the car comes in to California you will have to get a smog test and chp vin verification.

H

HHGT

Well I went and checket it out in person. Wife and 2 kids went and they were all supportive. The car had a few imperfections with 6 miles on the Odo - so please tell me if I am being too picky here.

1) Do all dealers keep them out in the reach of careless and insensitve people?
2) At $5,500 for the white stripes - they looked that they bled into the red at the lower front and the extreme back of the car
3) Do not know the official name for it, but this is the best description to give. At the rear lowes part of the car below the exhaust there are flexible black ducts which I believe is for letting air pass through and exit at the rear of the vehicle - all the fins are scratched. Is this normal? Is it from the delivery? Do they crack? Are they paintable? Should I worry?
4) When opening the rear clamshell con one person open it - it seemed to require two people.
5) Looking at the car from the rear, it appears that the gap between the clamsheel and the rear panel is bigger on the driver's side than on the right. Is this true for all of them?

Thanks in advance.

BTW he offered it at $1000 of MSRP -

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The paint flaws may be "normal" none of the paint jobs are perfect, but some are better than others. The fins on the back should not have scrape marks on them. I would presume that someone during the 6 miles damaged them from driving into or out of a driveway or over a speed bump. Depending on how fussy you are about such things you may use that as a negotiating point, or pass on the car. Ask the parts dept what the price for the rear diffuser is. It is not cheap!

BlackICE

H

HHGT

BlackICE said:
The paint flaws may be "normal" none of the paint jobs are perfect, but some are better than others. The fins on the back should not have scrape marks on them. I would presume that someone during the 6 miles damaged them from driving into or out of a driveway or over a speed bump. Depending on how fussy you are about such things you may use that as a negotiating point, or pass on the car. Ask the parts dept what the price for the rear diffuser is. It is not cheap!

BlackICE

Thanks. What about the clamshell opening that requires 2 people?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
There is a technique for the clamshell. If you are short then pop the latch in the interior, then if the hatch doesn't move up a few inches, you have to grab the air scoop to move the hatch. Then release the latch closest to the drivers' side. Then walk around and release the latch on the passenger side. If you are tall you can everything without moving. Be carefull if you have anything on your body that may scratch the paint, like buckets or zippers!

BlackICE

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I tend to wear deck shoes (that slip of easily) and my technique is to slip off my left shoe and stand on the drivers seat to release both catches. I'm 6'2" and it's a stretch over nice paintwork, so prefer to stand on the seat....

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Clamshell =1 person with no watch, rings, metal buttons on coat etc.... and is opened by popping the latch, releasing drivers side "catch" and depending how long your "stretch" is using the left arm leaning way into the opening to push the passengers latch open.

If you can't reach the passenger latch from the drivers door opening and don't want to lay on top of the roof then release the drivers side first then walk around the car to the passengers side to release the catch.

Be sure to take off the watch if you wear one on the left arm - I didn't one time and scratched the roof! :ack

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I think the clamshell releases are different heights - I always do the driver's side then walk around to the passanger side. It is a one person job and no problem.

Agree that the diffuser should not have damage.

Some cars have more gaps than others. The dealer may be able to fix the gap.

I'd be surprised about a problem with the stripe paint. I've only seen good ones.

Even with the "issues", if the car is local you'll save shipping (and maybe another damaged diffuser?). Price is good - grab it and enjoy.

BTW - also never rode in one. Didn't matter - I was buying the car. It is far better than I would have thought, so obviously more than pleased.

And yes, they don't let people touch. The dealership manager was the only one (not even my salesman) who could open the car.