New Squeak

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Heard for the first time this week my first squeak in the GT. Sounds almost like a "chirp" in the shock assembly or the clam shell. Seems to happen when going over a rough portion of the road. Any ideas? Anyone heard similar noises?

Thanks in advance!!

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I have this recently too. Subscribed for a solution. I'm thinking it's the clamshell (might need a slight alignment??). Anyway, like I said, subscribed for a solution.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You might do a search under rattlesnake noise and make sure it's not the fuel line starting to rattle.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
:wink Given recent postings, I'm wondering if Kendall's dog (Enzo) left a squeek toy in the car.......... :lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha,.... Kendall, you'll never live this down.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
You might do a search under rattlesnake noise and make sure it's not the fuel line starting to rattle.

Thanks big red, I had looked at those, and for me anyway, it's definitely a squeak, (seriously, like the sound of a toy that Kendall's dog might be chewing on). I really think it's the clamshell on the roof surround, but don't know how to fix it.....if that's it.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Sounds travel through the frame in the GT.

I had a "clam shell" noise, and would have bet some big $ on my diagnosis. As the noise was coming from right behind my head.

It ended up being a lower end link on the front sway bar. :ack

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I had same squeak...and lived with it for 2 yrs....and swore it was clamshell bumpers / stops...

Turned out to be mis-aligned air-box/filter cover.

My take is acoustics of inside calmshell are like a louspeaker and project/amplify

Now if someone could find out what the CRACK sound that comes from behind bulkhead after warm-ups/start-offs I would pay big money for that. It literally sounds like the glass has cracked or floor has split....very strange. Probably will end up being heat related with exhaust bracket or something

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2009
:confused

I have a similar noise from the same area, rear of the car, sounds like two glass jugs banging together when driving over rough ground at low speed, started at around 3k miles, now at 7k, no worse or better.
Would appreciate any input.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
PHXGT,

So as not to steal your post, have you noticed the door ajar light coming on for a split second when you hit a bump? The light is hard to see in the daylight and also because it is hidden behind the steering wheel. Try driving over the same bump at night and have someone look at your warning lights to see if it blinks. My bet is the front lid is not locked down. I had this same problem the other day and it turned out to be the front hood/trunk was not latched all the way. So, every time I hit a bump in the road, the door ajar light would come on for a split second and the alarm would chirp.

As the car mechanic's adage says, always start with the simplist cause first before you start changing parts and overhauling the engine just because a spark plug wire was loose.

GT350H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 3, 2006
Portland, Oregon
While at Rally II in LA, the GT developed a squeak/chirp coming from somewhere behind the drivers seat. It turned out to be a very simple fix; put a little lube on the clamshell latches and the squeak/chirp was instantly taken care of. Hope your issue is this simple to resolve!

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Thank you for the new feedback. I'll try this right away.

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
"Now if someone could find out what the CRACK sound that comes from behind bulkhead after warm-ups/start-offs I would pay big money for that. It literally sounds like the glass has cracked or floor has split....very strange. Probably will end up being heat related with exhaust bracket or something."

I too have this intermitant "Crack"-Sharp clunk, coming from the rear of the car. As previously discribed, it happens (intermittanly) during accelleration or bumpy road service. This is not a squeek.
I suspected the rear shock mounting- found nothing. So far no evidence of loose parts.
The noise began at 3000 miles. No accidents, damage etc.
What-da-$^%#! Over??

Jul 4, 2009
While at Rally II in LA, the GT developed a squeak/chirp coming from somewhere behind the drivers seat. It turned out to be a very simple fix; put a little lube on the clamshell latches and the squeak/chirp was instantly taken care of. Hope your issue is this simple to resolve!

Many thanks, a little lube on the latches seems to have been the answer.

:cheers

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
I have the same noise and have not been able to determine what it is but certainly sounds like the glass is cracking against the frame and seems to be coming from the right rear

I had same squeak...and lived with it for 2 yrs....and swore it was clamshell bumpers / stops...

Turned out to be mis-aligned air-box/filter cover.

My take is acoustics of inside calmshell are like a louspeaker and project/amplify

Now if someone could find out what the CRACK sound that comes from behind bulkhead after warm-ups/start-offs I would pay big money for that. It literally sounds like the glass has cracked or floor has split....very strange. Probably will end up being heat related with exhaust bracket or something

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I would ask Rich or Dennis of Gt guys fame.There isn't anything they haven't come across.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
That is great news. We are planning on hosting them in the spring here in Atlanta evidently.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Are you sure your passenger seat is not touching the firewall?

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
Are you sure your passenger seat is not touching the firewall?

No did not look however this sound is like glass breaking and rubbing against itself as it breaks almost like the windshield is loose and hitting the steel framework like a creaking sound

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Your carbon fiber seat back can sound kind of creaky. Just raise the seatback up and move the seat a little forward and see if it helps. How hard can it be?