New Source for Clamshell & Bonnet Gas Struts

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I have tracking number for the 6 boxes that say I should have them today (UPS). It's 8:15PM and they're not here! Hopefully today or tomorrow! I have instructions and shipping boxes ready to go. I can ship them all as soon as they get here! Thanks for asking!

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
How can I get on the list?

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
I'd like a front set please.
Thank you

Tiago

GT Owner
Apr 9, 2019
Houston, TX
Im in for front and rear.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
All - I am about to pull the trigger in making a non-trivial investment to purchase a quantity of both front and rear gas replacement struts for the GT. As many of you know, these gas springs have a finite life and most of the cars that are coming through our shop are in need of replacements.

The rear replacements have been available through Ford - but like all GT parts you have to go through the whole ordering fiasco which includes providing them a copy of a current registration, etc. The process makes it virtually impossible for us to inventory these (just as we would like to inventory oil pump belts). Anyway, when the rear struts arrive they are typically in a wax paper like sealed package - and clearly the new springs show signs of leaking as the paper is often oil-stained upon arrival. We've had a couple of cases where we have returned the new struts because they were already too weak - just out of the package.

The story on the front bonnet struts is worse. They have not been available from Ford for the past several weeks and the latest projection is February - but no one seems to have a lot of confidence in that date.

So, we can have exact fitment gas struts manufactured - same extended length, same retracted length, same connectors, and identical OEM pressures. Price would be similar to the wholesale price through Ford (~$35ea) - but available fresh stock and easily order-able from our website.

Would this be of interest to you?

January 24 UPDATE: OK all, thanks very much for all of the input. I'm submitting the order! Hold tight (please). 4-6 weeks.

Interest List:

06Fordgt: Front, Rear
2112: Front, Rear
33Bravo: Front, Rear
analogdesigner: Front, Rear
BAT: Front, Rear
B.M.F.: Front, Rear
BCF: Front, Rear
BrianBates: Front, Rear
ByeEnzo: Front, Rear
centerpunch: Front, Rear
Derry: Front, Rear
dtomasso1: Front, Rear
fecarman: Front, Rear
FlagstaffGT: Front, Rear
FourFathers: Front
Gary: Front, Rear
Gene Cassone: Front, Rear
GKW05GT: Front, Rear
GreyGhost: Front
GT35065: Front, Rear
GTED: Front, Rear
GTinTN: Front, Rear
GTMD: Front, Rear
GTNJ: Front, Rear
Jaxgt: Front, Rear
Jazz76: Front, Rear
Johntpr: Front, Rear
Kingman: Front, Rear
Lewishou: Front, Rear
MAD IN NC: Front, Rear
mmlcobra: Front, Rear
Mule Air: Front, Rear
nautoncall: Front, Rear
Not4N: Front, Rear
PlaneCrazy: Front, Rear
Propdave: Front, Rear
QuickSilverShelby: Front
RickMustang: Front, Rear
rocketman: Front, Rear
Spaceman: Front, Rear
SteveA: Front, Rear
Steved57: Front, Rear
TOAWSUM: Front, Rear
Tomcat: Front, Rear
Vincent998: Front
zach05855: Front, Rear
Gary Rear

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
All - I am about to pull the trigger in making a non-trivial investment to purchase a quantity of both front and rear gas replacement struts for the GT. As many of you know, these gas springs have a finite life and most of the cars that are coming through our shop are in need of replacements.

The rear replacements have been available through Ford - but like all GT parts you have to go through the whole ordering fiasco which includes providing them a copy of a current registration, etc. The process makes it virtually impossible for us to inventory these (just as we would like to inventory oil pump belts). Anyway, when the rear struts arrive they are typically in a wax paper like sealed package - and clearly the new springs show signs of leaking as the paper is often oil-stained upon arrival. We've had a couple of cases where we have returned the new struts because they were already too weak - just out of the package.

The story on the front bonnet struts is worse. They have not been available from Ford for the past several weeks and the latest projection is February - but no one seems to have a lot of confidence in that date.

So, we can have exact fitment gas struts manufactured - same extended length, same retracted length, same connectors, and identical OEM pressures. Price would be similar to the wholesale price through Ford (~$35ea) - but available fresh stock and easily order-able from our website.

Would this be of interest to you?

January 24 UPDATE: OK all, thanks very much for all of the input. I'm submitting the order! Hold tight (please). 4-6 weeks.

Interest List:

06Fordgt: Front, Rear
2112: Front, Rear
33Bravo: Front, Rear
analogdesigner: Front, Rear
BAT: Front, Rear
B.M.F.: Front, Rear
BCF: Front, Rear
BrianBates: Front, Rear
ByeEnzo: Front, Rear
centerpunch: Front, Rear
Derry: Front, Rear
dtomasso1: Front, Rear
fecarman: Front, Rear
FlagstaffGT: Front, Rear
FourFathers: Front
Gary: Front, Rear
Gene Cassone: Front, Rear
GKW05GT: Front, Rear
GreyGhost: Front
GT35065: Front, Rear
GTED: Front, Rear
GTinTN: Front, Rear
GTMD: Front, Rear
GTNJ: Front, Rear
Jaxgt: Front, Rear
Jazz76: Front, Rear
Johntpr: Front, Rear
Kingman: Front, Rear
Lewishou: Front, Rear
MAD IN NC: Front, Rear
mmlcobra: Front, Rear
Mule Air: Front, Rear
nautoncall: Front, Rear
Not4N: Front, Rear
PlaneCrazy: Front, Rear
Propdave: Front, Rear
QuickSilverShelby: Front
RickMustang: Front, Rear
rocketman: Front, Rear
Spaceman: Front, Rear
SteveA: Front, Rear
Steved57: Front, Rear
TOAWSUM: Front, Rear
Tomcat: Front, Rear
Vincent998: Front
zach05855: Front, Rear
Are they currently available?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
UPS revised delivery is Monday. I almost always get my UPS delivery after 6PM. I'll start shipping on Tuesday. I want to thank/respect all those owners that expressed an interest and gave me a good idea and the confidence to order. I will be updating the first post in this thread with ALL of those that expressed interest.

I will put a LINE in the list. The vast majority of you will be ABOVE the line - which means that I have a set of front and rear struts set aside for you. (You, of course, are under no obligation and you can also opt for just the fronts or rears.) I will add a link to our website for ordering and also ask you to give me your Forum name so that I can insure you are "above the line" and I can cross you off the list.

Anyone "below the line" can also order but understand that I've placed a second order and they're telling me 4-5 weeks. But, if folks above the line decide not to act, I can also start fulfilling the additional orders. Hopefully the 4-5 weeks lead time would be feasible - but obviously there's some uncertainty with the virus. I'll know better when the first batch arrives, but I believe these were being manufactured in Germany.

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
I will take two sets of front and rear for the next go around. Mine have been weak since 2007 and 2008 respectively. No rush now. Thanks

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Front and Rear.
Thanks for doing this.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
look forward to completing the order and receiving them!!

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Kendall, if you buy these now but don't install them, what is the shelf life?

UPS revised delivery is Monday. I almost always get my UPS delivery after 6PM. I'll start shipping on Tuesday. I want to thank/respect all those owners that expressed an interest and gave me a good idea and the confidence to order. I will be updating the first post in this thread with ALL of those that expressed interest.

I will put a LINE in the list. The vast majority of you will be ABOVE the line - which means that I have a set of front and rear struts set aside for you. (You, of course, are under no obligation and you can also opt for just the fronts or rears.) I will add a link to our website for ordering and also ask you to give me your Forum name so that I can insure you are "above the line" and I can cross you off the list.

Anyone "below the line" can also order but understand that I've placed a second order and they're telling me 4-5 weeks. But, if folks above the line decide not to act, I can also start fulfilling the additional orders. Hopefully the 4-5 weeks lead time would be feasible - but obviously there's some uncertainty with the virus. I'll know better when the first batch arrives, but I believe these were being manufactured in Germany.

Hi Kendall (and Ryan):
What will payment/shipping procedure be? Will you notify us with the details etc, or do we have to contact you at Cooltech?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Pricing is $79 per pair - either fronts or rears... $158 for all 4.

March 29 Update: Online ordering is available. Shipments will start on March 31.

IMPORTANT!! Please, when ordering, please include your forum name in your shipping info!! I want to make sure that the people in the list (on the first post of this thread) have an opportunity to order and get their shipment from this first batch. If I don't have your forum name or it's not on this initial list, we will wait at least 1-week to see if we have product remaining to fulfill your order.

Please click the link HERE to order.

THANKS!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
thanks. Will purchase on line in am

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
Ordered a set. Thanks for making them available.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
ordered

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
ordered full set

Pricing is $79 per pair - either fronts or rears... $158 for all 4.

March 29 Update: Online ordering is available. Shipments will start on March 31.

IMPORTANT!! Please, when ordering, please include your forum name in your shipping info!! I want to make sure that the people in the list (on the first post of this thread) have an opportunity to order and get their shipment from this first batch. If I don't have your forum name or it's not on this initial list, we will wait at least 1-week to see if we have product remaining to fulfill your order.

Please click the link HERE to order.

THANKS!

Disregard, pushed wrong key!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Guys, thanks for the orders. The inventory finally arrived this evening. There's a discrepancy. I've temporarily disabled sales until we resolve. I'll provide full details soon.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hello ALL - Thanks every one for their patience.

The replacement gas struts for the FRONT bonnet are now in stock and shipping. Link to Front Gas Struts. As many/most of you are aware, these have not been available from Ford for quite some time now. For ALL of you who placed orders for the Front & Rear struts, we are shipping your front struts on Monday. You should have received shipping/tracking info already. We have refunded the price of the rear struts as we expect that we will not have those available for ~4-6 weeks. We have kept all of your information and as soon as we have the rear struts, we will contact you for ordering. You will not need to go back through the website.

We are working with Stabilus in Germany in order to have a superior-than-OEM solution available in the coming weeks.