Just ordered mine!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Just ordered mine!
Smart move !
I have no skin in the game other than I know you are going to thoroughly enjoy this set up!
Plus Scott is a great guy!
Brilliant really!

Reactions: dreimer

drm

Apr 18, 2022
WA
My new set arrived last Friday morning, I was back on the road in the afternoon. Couldn't be happier with the results. It took a while to get these due to the chaos of the last few years so don't wait to order yours!

Reactions: sahlman

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Thank you everyone for the continued great feedback. These are a labor of love for such a great car.

Update- I received three more orders early last week. So (6) sets are left of the (20) set run that has taken quite a while.

Reactions: Ed Sims and 2112

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I've posted my experience with Scott's Ohlins shocks on several threads, but since this one has the key words in the title, I'll repost my comments here to make them easier to find.

One of my rear shocks was getting worn by 60,000 miles, so looked at the options. I considered the Penskes too, but the general word from those with them was that they are harsher than the stock shocks. From what I could gather, the Penske's are designed for racing, so NVH is not high on the priority list. From what I could also gather, the Ahlman shocks had enough adjustability to soften them up for street comfort. Since the vast majority of my many miles are on the street, I chose the Ahlman shocks. The followup decision consisted of whether to opt for the 2-way or 4-way adjustments. Considering that the 4-way adjustments added about $2000 to the price, after discussing it with Scott, I opted for the 2-way adjustments.

The Ahlman shocks work much better than stock and a huge advantage is the compression and rebound adjustability. The adjustment knobs are easy to reach and change by hand. Scott delivered them with the adjustments set for my mix of mostly street and occasional track driving, which was roughly in the middle of the adjustment range. For street driving, I have loosened up the front and rear adjustment knobs to 2 clicks from the minimum. That softens the ride noticeably and the ride is significantly more compliant and comfortable on the street than the stock shocks, particularly rough roads. When I go on the track, I crank them back up to Scott’s recommendations. Best of both worlds. They also work correctly with lowered suspensions.

After driving them several times on the track, and 10,000+ miles over the past 2+ years, I highly recommend them. I think that if you will be driving your car on the street, or mixed street/track use, this is the hands-down best option. For a track-only car, you would need a stopwatch to determine what's best for your car setup.

2-way versus 4-way adjustments: The 2-way adjusters allow changing the low velocity compression and rebound damping. The 4-ways allow additional adjustment of the high velocity compression and rebound damping. Thus the 4-ways allow different damping curves for low velocity and high velocity damping. I don't know how useful this is on the track were the pavement is pretty smooth--Scott would have to offer his experience on this question. But, after driving them for 2 years, I think the 4-way adjustments would provide more advantages for the street, where pavement cracks, potholes, patches, and the like cause short sharp suspension movements (high velocity). The 4-ways should provide a smoother ride on crappy streets. If $2000-ish isn't a biggie to you, I suggest you spring for the 4-way adjustments. I've thought about sending my shocks back to Scott to get the additional adjustments added. if I were ordering from scratch today, I would opt for the 4-way adjusters.

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Thank you for your extensive feedback @PeteK.

The 4-way adjustable shocks don’t work better for the same curves and they are mainly needed if someone runs at very different types of tracks and changing spring rates. Rough Sebring versus smooth but abrasive Homestead, for example.

And yes the high speed adjusters could be fine tuned slightly for very specific events (a very difficult endeavor without background and significant analysis) on the road , but the set up is already biased toward the wide range of events for steering precision, ride, handling, grip and safe evasive maneuvers. I develop all of my suspensions, including for my incredible pro drivers to be stable, connected (feel like one with the car) and capability. This is why our FGT and R8 customers note a lot more confidence in the car.

The ‘05-‘06 FGT is such a great car that we have worked to make better. Thank you again for your great feedback. Give me a shout or have more questions on the chassis.

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
…most of my posts should start with the disclaimer in my signature that I am the “village idiot”. Emailed and texted Scott only to finally find this thread where everything was laid out so perfectly. A few min later and I have spent 17k from Scott’s website to get the shocks and brakes. You guys really are complete. Thanks for the pointers that weren’t aimed at me, but certainly benefited me as I made my way around the forums and am working to get my car dialed in before I drive it for the first time.
Only need to find front sway bar bushings now!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
You're no idiot if you bought the shocks. The brakes I have no experience with. Yet.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Thank you for your extensive feedback @PeteK.

The 4-way adjustable shocks don’t work better for the same curves and they are mainly needed if someone runs at very different types of tracks and changing spring rates. Rough Sebring versus smooth but abrasive Homestead, for example.

And yes the high speed adjusters could be fine tuned slightly for very specific events (a very difficult endeavor without background and significant analysis) on the road , but the set up is already biased toward the wide range of events for steering precision, ride, handling, grip and safe evasive maneuvers. I develop all of my suspensions, including for my incredible pro drivers to be stable, connected (feel like one with the car) and capability. This is why our FGT and R8 customers note a lot more confidence in the car.

The ‘05-‘06 FGT is such a great car that we have worked to make better. Thank you again for your great feedback. Give me a shout or have more questions on the chassis.
Post you web link !
Happy holidays!!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Post you web link !
Happy holidays!!
Here are his '05/06 FGT products: https://www.ahlmanperformance.com/products?year=2005&make=ford&model=gt