New Owners: Insure Axle Bolt Upgrade has been Performed!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You should contact Rich at the GT Guy. He will be your best bet on what your options are now in this day and age. I believe there is no longer any recourse through Ford. Cool tech used to have a ready to go kit for this. You might check Kendalls website.

Reactions: Tomcat and dshears

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
A few hours south of you are two highly qualified techs for performing the axle bolt upgrade and any other maintenance the 05-06 GT's require. Jason Heffner's shop in Sarasota and Sarasota Ford (Rick Weigewroth, tech) are both experienced in all manner of GT upgrades.

Tomcat

GT Owner
A few hours south of you are two highly qualified techs for performing the axle bolt upgrade and any other maintenance the 05-06 GT's require. Jason Heffner's shop in Sarasota and Sarasota Ford (Rick Weigewroth, tech) are both experienced in all manner of GT upgrades.
Thanks, I have Heffner's H-pipe and had forgotten about them...although "a few hours" turns out to be 550 miles away (ONLY 2 hours, 45 minutes at top speed-as I am right near to the Florabama Bar).

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Good old Florabama Bar! It's been many years since I was last there.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Good old Florabama Bar! It's been many years since I was last there.
It has NOT changed!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Unfortunately Heffner is a 7.5-hour from Pensacola ... and that's with no stops. But he still might be the closest expert.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Thanks all! (I read all 12 pages of the CSP-transaxle bolts)
For those who lived through this, it looks like the FINAL SOLUTION Ford fix was part #4G7Z-4B490-A
On my paperwork above I do not see that # called out? Does anyone know if this might be available from Ford?
So it looks like I may/should have this redone.
1) Anybody know of a good Ford Dealership within (let's say) 100 miles of Pensacola, Florida that could handle this? Treadwell Ford (Mobile AL) was recommended back in the day.
2) Is it "warranty" work? 0$s (remember that it was done once in Dec 2007 by a Ford Dealership in Phoenix, Az)
3) Has anyone successfully gotten reimbursed for this work being done by an independent shop?
4) If I MUST do it/pay for it myself...AccuFab or Ford kit?
I would suggest the AccuFab kit. You can use your aircraft bolt wire tie skills with the accufab bolts. The accufab bolts all are drilled for wire.

Here is what I did with pictures of the bolts.

Reactions: Tomcat

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I agree with Ed. Use the Accufab kit if you can find it. Although the 2nd Ford official fix appears to be adequate, I'd prefer an additional margin of safety that the Accufab kit appears to provide.

Reactions: Tomcat

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I would suggest the AccuFab kit. You can use your aircraft bolt wire tie skills with the accufab bolts. The accufab bolts all are drilled for wire.

Here is what I did with pictures of the bolts.

LOL, I used to wire tie cap screws on heavy equipment (compressors, turbine gensets, etc) back in the 90s. Doing it correctly is a true art form.

Tomcat

GT Owner
LOL, I used to wire tie cap screws on heavy equipment (compressors, turbine gensets, etc) back in the 90s. Doing it correctly is a true art form.
100% agree...like mudding drywall, safety wiring is an ART!

Tomcat

GT Owner
Please correct me if I am wrong but my research says the Ford "final solution" was part #4G7Z-4B490-A. I have gotten my local Ford Dealer to dig into the Oasis system and determine that the service done in Dec. 2007 included this part # (see attached)...so I feel I'm good to go. Agreed?

Attachments

• Final solution Ford axleshaft bolts.JPG
    Final solution Ford axleshaft bolts.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 7

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Either kit will work fine. There is absolutely no need to wire the bolts. We have installed dozens of the kits and have never experienced any problems.

It's not a difficult job to do yourself - and I would really recommend you to consider. It is doubtful that the GT is your daily driver, so there's just no need to rush. I would recommend elevating the rear tires so that you can turn them when removing the outer bolts. This makes the job a lot easier and everything is accessible from the top. We typically charge an hour labor per side. The cars are 16+ years old.... were you seriously asking about warranty?

Reactions: jammer and dshears

Tomcat

GT Owner
Either kit will work fine. There is absolutely no need to wire the bolts. We have installed dozens of the kits and have never experienced any problems.

It's not a difficult job to do yourself - and I would really recommend you to consider. It is doubtful that the GT is your daily driver, so there's just no need to rush. I would recommend elevating the rear tires so that you can turn them when removing the outer bolts. This makes the job a lot easier and everything is accessible from the top. We typically charge an hour labor per side. The cars are 16+ years old.... were you seriously asking about warranty?
All good information...Thanks Kendall/Ryan

Unexpected61

Aug 26, 2021
Marco Island FL.
I would just like to thank all of you for this forum. It is priceless for all of us that just figured out that we need one of these things.
I have an invoice for recall 07B49 transaxle output bolts performed in 08 am I good to go?

Thank You for your help

Reactions: Submoose

Tomcat

GT Owner
I would just like to thank all of you for this forum. It is priceless for all of us that just figured out that we need one of these things.
I have an invoice for recall 07B49 transaxle output bolts performed in 08 am I good to go?

Thank You for your help
My recent research and understanding (which hopefully will be corrected if wrong) was that Ford had some fast (and it turns out intermediate) but less than adequate solutions until late (Dec) 2007. Ford "final solution" was a kit designated part #4G7Z-4B490-A. This morning I got a helpful Ford Service Tech in Pensacola, Fl. to look up my VIN and (by giving her the date of service back in 2007) she was quickly able to pull the parts document used during the (Dec 2007) 07B49 repair (Part #4G7Z-4B490-A).

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
It seems that recently there are several new owners here. There is PLENTY of information on the axle bolt upgrade that you can search and read up on and I don't want to repeat that here. The "news" is that it is VERY important that ALL GTs - regardless if they are garage queens, track machines, or anything in between, need to have the axle bolt upgrade performed. The consequence of NOT doing the upgrade is that you risk that the bolts break and the halfshaft will pull out of the transaxle. You will dump a lot of transaxle fluid and the other end of the halfshaft, as it is still connected to the hub/wheel, will flop around - potentially violently until the car comes to a stop. Scaring you? Good, that's my intention. GET THE UPGRADE DONE.

We have a ~6,000 mi late VIN GT in the shop for service/upgrades. New-ish owner had no confirmation from seller regarding axle bolts. Inspecting the 6 OUTER bolts that connect the halfshaft to the transaxle flange, we can see only a single torque confirmation paint line on each bolt and all are aligned. The paint marks are white on this car but we've seen red, orange, blue, etc. marks on other cars. We decided that we needed to disassemble the coupler to check to see if the inner bolt/washer upgrade had been performed. We've only done the passenger side so far. Inside the flange, we found the head of one OEM Allen bolt sheared off and bouncing around inside the coupler. Checking the remaining bolt, the head was hanging on by half a thread and came off in our hand. Yikes! This was an accident waiting to happen... and it was going to happen soon.

How can you know if the axle bolt upgrade has been performed?

1. You can ask your Ford dealer to print an Oasis report based on your VIN. If a Ford dealer performed the update it will be documented on the Oasis report. Or,
2. Visually inspect the 6 outer bolts at the flange that joins the halfshaft to the transaxle.
2a. If these outer bolts are black 12-point bolts, then your car has the Accufab upgrade kit installed and you are good.
2b. If your car has OEM silver Allen bolts, carefully inspect the paint line on each bolt to see if the lines are aligned. You want to see evidence that those bolts have been removed/replaced. If you cannot find any evidence that the bolts have been replaced, you need to dis-assemble the coupler to look inside.
3. Inside, you will see two bolts. If these bolts are black Allen head bolts, you need to perform the upgrade. However, if the bolts are hex-head and recessed into a spacer, then your car has the upgrade.

Note1: The outer bolts are Torque to Yield (TTY) bolts and technically should be discarded and new bolts should be used to re-assemble the flange. The kit will come with new outer bolts but if you discovered the update has already been perfomed by looking inside, you should probably order new outer bolts for re-assembly.

Note2: Many cars will have transaxle fluid inside the coupler. This should not happen but is relatively common. There is a GT-specific Technical Service Bulletin 06-23-08 that should be performed prior to re-assembly.

DON'T make the mistake of thinking that you baby the car and it may not need this upgrade. ALL 2005-2006 GT's should have this upgrade performed as ALL are susceptible to the bolt failure.

View attachment 56204
Received the Ford bolt kit 4G7Z-4B490-A and started working on my car as I found no record of the halfshaft bolts being done. Started on the driver side working from the side after removing the wheel. All outside bolts were very tight but came out in one piece after some persuasion. Threadlock was used on all of them. The two inside black Allen head bolts were also very tight but came out in one piece as can be seen in the picture. Per Kendall's bullet 3 above the thin washer and Allen head bolts confirm the required halfshaft bolts upgrade has not been done. Now I'm in process of cleaning the threads by tapping out the dried up threadlock material. This can be done a lot easier if part #3 in the AxleBolts diagram below can be removed.
Question: Can part #3 be removed, cleaned and reinstalled or should it be left in place?
Answer: RTFM. It says right there in all capitals DO NOT REMOVE THE OUTPUT FLANGE.

Attachments

• IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • AxleBolts.jpg
    AxleBolts.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: