New Member Dyno With Pulley

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
bony said:
Here is the dope:
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

For crying out loud you now have to be a lawyer.

I go by the simple rule; place something on the engine, like a new supercharger or device that changes the psi; there is no warranty, pure and simple, if something goes wrong. Guys its plain common sense. They didn't build it so they aren't responsible.

Dave

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dave, absolutely right !
And, as the smaller pulley significantly increases the load on everything around the combustion chamber, and the increased horsepower and torque on everything of the drivetrain, you better change back to standard before going to service, if you are worried about warranty loss. The legal thingy Bony pulled up is to allow for competition of identical parts from some aftermarket source, but not for parts that actually change operational parameter.... which is why we like them, and hope we can get away with it !

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I just ordered the 18psi pulley and a programer for my GT. How hard is it to replace the pulley and do you need a new belt?

Thanks, Kenric

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
barondw said:
I go by the simple rule; place something on the engine, like a new supercharger or device that changes the psi; there is no warranty, pure and simple, if something goes wrong. Guys its plain common sense. They didn't build it so they aren't responsible.

You are absolutely right. You touch something on the engine, add power in any way, mess with factory tuning, etc, you can bet they will not warranty any engine damage. Simple as that. Companies of all types, and especially car companies, go to great lengths to ensure they aren't paying a single penny for something they may not be responsible for.

That said, it'll never stop me from modding cars. You pay to play, and if you keep it safe and reputable, you should be good.

Ron Earp

Jan 9, 2006
Raleigh NC
Those are awesome numbers, but 21 psi is a lot of boost. I have messed with supercharged engines for years, currently use a Ford Lightning for a daily/tow vehicle that runs 16psi, but have seen a lot of blown motors from too much boost.

The Ford GT runs 12 psi stock, correct? The lysholm blower on the GT motor is a better blower than the Eaton units on the Mustangs and Lightnings, from a efficiency standpoint with respect to generating heat while overdriven. I'd think they would take well to increased boost and not generate too much excess heat, although looking at the compressor map for one of the blowers would tell you for sure.

Still, 21 psi is a lot on a motor, even given the good components used in the Ford GT engine compared to the other mod motors. Lightning motors generally won't take anything beyond 450-500 rwhp and 550 rwtq stock before going bang, or if they don't go bang straight away they might be living on borrowed time.

I hope the Ford GT motor will stand up fine, but that is a lot of boost and power for the headgaskets, rods, and crank to have to deal with as factory delivered. These motors used Manley rods, correct? How about the crank? And, were there any design changes to the head gaskets used over the 4.6/5.4 blown motors in the Lightning and Mustang? If I were running that much boost I'd be doing it with an o-ringed block.

Birdman, I used to fool around with the 3.8L SCs too, back in the 90s on the MN12 forum. Did you use the same screen name, seems I remember a birdman.

Best,
Ron

Ron Earp

Jan 9, 2006
Raleigh NC
I has been so long I can't remember. I used to have a 90 XR7 3.8L SC car, not too common, then I had a 91 5.0L XR7 that I rigged my own Eaton 90 inch SC on since nobody made kits for a V8 and blower that was non-Mustang.

I was thinking that forum was called the MN-12 Forum, let me check right quick - no, it was the old SCCOA site, although it looks nothing like what it did in the 90s when I was posting there.

I'm with you on the boost and issues though - I'd run a setup like you have or I've done if I was running 21 psi on a mod motor. I've replaced enough head gaskets due to boost to not want to do it again.

Ron