New headlights for 2005/6MY Ford GT

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I think we need a consumer advocate like Ralph Nadur to stop these wasteful or inconsiderate designs, whatever you want to call it.

the feds need to step in to save fair competition, our economy, and jobs.

Be careful for what you wish for. Car culture has very few allies here.

I am not discounting your frustrations.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL

I agree it is a very slippery slope to ask the government for help. However, when the manufacturers are out of control, some outside source needs to regulate them. Greed is a very hard thing to control for some individuals and it is like being an alcoholic. They can never have enough money. Billionaires, it's ridiculous greed. Why not show some social and fiscal responsibility/compassion and lower prices and lower profits? How much money is enough for these people? Remember, the government broke up the oil monopolies and maybe that is required now in the automotive industry. Also, the military put their foot down to the manufacturers to design military aircraft that were easier to maintain. Why can't the manufacturers design a "quality" analog car? Use digital only for engine tuning like ignition and EFI. We don't need digital light bulbs/modules, digital shocks, digital tire valve stems, etc., etc. Give the consumer an informed option. It can be done. When there is competition, then you will see these cheaper options, but the 3 big manufacturers have run the little guys like Studebaker, Delorian, Packard, etc. out of business.

Last edited:
Reactions: analogdesigner

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Yeah be extra careful. When they realize you're talking about an almost 20 year old gas guzzler they're more likely to make it illegal to own

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
It would be far easier and cheaper to encourage the many innovators and risk takers in the marketplace to develop and produce the missing parts than to ask government to do the impossible task of curing greed in humans. If as @B.M.F. said "the projector stuff and ballast boxes could not be sourced and Ford was not interested in paying for the redevelopment" it would be helpful to publish the specs for those items or any other item that is part of a subsystem so we can look into various ways of bridging that gap. Any idea where the projector and ballast specs can be found?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I know that some suppliers of classic Mustang parts were able to get ahold of original Ford tooling to fabricate parts.

If Ford is no longer interested, maybe they would sell that tooling or partner with such producers?

Reactions: dshears

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
I found a place that claims they can open the headlight module, clean it up, and replace non working parts such as light projector, ballast, etc and reseal it. They do not recommend cleaning up the inside of the clear lens with anything other than distilled water and air no touching or wiping. Costs about $2k per side.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I found a place that claims they can open the headlight module, clean it up, and replace non working parts such as light projector, ballast, etc and reseal it. They do not recommend cleaning up the inside of the clear lens with anything other than distilled water and air no touching or wiping. Costs about $2k per side.
Is it SW Lights? I have them on my radar just in case.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
No LED RWR out of Denver, CO. Asked him if he was familiar with the internal parts of the light. He said they recently repaired one that was internally damaged in an accident. I believe there are a lot more options out there given how Xenon and LED technology have advanced over the last two decades. It's just that the number of FGTs needing headlight repair is so small that many highly capable shops have not had the opportunity to work on them to develop alternatives.

Reactions: FlagstaffGT

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
No LED RWR out of Denver, CO. Asked him if he was familiar with the internal parts of the light. He said they recently repaired one that was internally damaged in an accident. I believe there are a lot more options out there given how Xenon and LED technology have advanced over the last two decades. It's just that the number of FGTs needing headlight repair is so small that many highly capable shops have not had the opportunity to work on them to develop alternatives.

Are you sending in any lights?

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
No my lights are fine, I think. Can't remember the last time I turned them on. Was just trying to be helpful if others have inoperative spare units and feeling adventurous.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I asked because I had a less than acceptable result with a different vendor.

My lights are fine, except when I get caught in the rain and they fog up.

When I drive at night, I hold a candle up to the windshield in order to double the output.

Reactions: viva gt and dshears

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016

When I drive at night, I hold a candle up to the windshield in order to double the output.
This may be an alternative to holding a candle XHP90

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I'm always such a sucker for products like these :LOL:, but so often they are just either a scam, or way over-hyped. Have you personally bought one of these?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Should I use scotch tape and tape it to the roof?

in between the doors of course.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
@DakotaGT No experience to report on XHP90 but even at 50% of the claimed performance it is still a formidable light for its price and size.

@2112 I'd duct tape 3 in a fan out pattern on each side to achieve 180 deg spread.

Reactions: DakotaGT

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I'd duct tape 3 in a fan out pattern on each side to achieve 180 deg spread.

😁

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I've got to get one of those to show these jacked up trucks with the new bright white lights what it's like to blind on-coming traffic. LOL Just joking. Two wrongs do not make a right. Its so aggravating, I have sure thought about it though for a split second.

Last edited:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
My lights are fine, except when I get caught in the rain and they fog u.
I don't know anything about our headlight designs, but here's a thought based from some ignorance. Most bulbs put off heat, heat plus moisture creates steam/fog. My thought is to drill some ventilation holes in the back of your headlight module to let the moisture escape as your bulb heats it. The holes should be placed to protect them from rain intrusion, like on the inside of the car body. Maybe a hole in the front bottom of the module and in the back high so air can circulate through? Worth a try as it can't hurt anything I think.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I don't know anything about our headlight designs, but here's a thought based from some ignorance. Most bulbs put off heat, heat plus moisture creates steam/fog. My thought is to drill some ventilation holes in the back of your headlight module to let the moisture escape as your bulb heats it. The holes should be placed to protect them from rain intrusion, like on the inside of the car body. Maybe a hole in the front bottom of the module and in the back high so air can circulate through? Worth a try as it can't hurt anything I think.
Should work. Put some kind of filter on/over/in the hole, or the lens will eventually get a coating of dust on the inside. Maybe a vent hole already exists.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016

All lights should have vent holes from the factory. Excessive condensation could be due to blocked vent hole(s) or due to broken seal that's allowing moisture into the assembly. As your problem occurs under rain condition, it is more likely due to broken seal. I'd take the assebmly out and try to reasel it and confirm the vents are unblocked.