New guy looking for a new ride

dinosgt

Aug 29, 2020
Hello Folks:

I have been looking for a Ford GT for a few months now and this forum has been invaluable to help me both understand what to look for as well as understand common issues and mods.

I am a certified car freak, and several years ago bought a Shelby GT500 with the 5.8 Trinity. Although I have several other high HP cars, that motor made me fall in love with its power potential, smooth torque delivery, and longevity, while being easy to live with day-to-day. Given the GT shares the same basic motor and power potential, what could be better than the ultimate ride, a Ford GT?

From a few months' search - it seems like most of the Autotrader/Cargurus/etc. dealer stuff is priced at the very high end, and depending on the dealer, can be a bit sketchy (e.g. one recent car I found was listed at three separate dealers at the same time...) Also I find it a bit odd that some of the smaller dealers that land these cars dont seem to be eager to answer questions on a $300k+ car.

Anyway - I am looking for a 2006 Tungsten grey car, preferably with less than 30K miles. (I don't mind an ultra low mile car, but I am going to drive it, so that wont last, and those suckers really bring all the money...)

I really hope to be sitting in one by Christmas, so I was hoping some of the knowledgeable folks on this forum would share any leads or thoughts as I continue my search. I would love to buy a car from a private owner who knows the car, but if I have to get one from a dealer, I would like any insights on any to avoid. Also, are there other common dealers/websites that list these cars that typically don't go the "Autotrader" advertising route?

Thanks again to the forum, and I look forward to joining you all as a legit owner soon.
Dino

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Welcome! And enjoy the search.

Tomcat

GT Owner
A Friend of mine just found a 3,000 mile Tungsten 4 option at Ford Nationals-Carlisle. Good luck!
It is frustrating to find old/obsolete/fraud/multiple listings on the used car sites...American Supercars (Frezno, Ca.), BJ Motors and Desneux all seem to have good reputations.
Also, the GT Guys and CoolTech work on a lot of GTs so they might have some leads.

Last edited by a moderator:

dinosgt

Aug 29, 2020
A Friend of mine just found a 3,000 mile Tungsten 4 option at Ford Nationals-Carlisle. Good luck!
It is frustrating to find old/obsolete/fraud/multiple listings on the used car sites...American Supercars (Frezno, Ca.), BJ Motors and Desneux all seem to have good reputations.
Also, the GT Guys and CoolTech work on a lot of GTs so they might have some leads.

Great suggestions - thanks !

Yes - you would be amazed how many old or fraudulent ads are floating around. I see cars listed for 60k for example...

I will look those folks up you mentioned and see what else is out there. I found 2 so far, but one is overpriced and the other is at a pretty sketchy dealer - Might be ok but when you are dropping this kind of scratch I would like to feel good about the seller.

Last edited by a moderator:

dinosgt

Aug 29, 2020
Welcome! And enjoy the search.

Thanks very much - Excited to land the right car!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Not quite tungsten but a silver '05: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-ford-gt-19/

.. and, Welcome 🍻

Last edited:

dinosgt

Aug 29, 2020
Thank you - I didn’t see that one. Appreciate it !

Reactions: extrap

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Quick Silver is the rarest color, only made in 2005.

Last edited:

dinosgt

Aug 29, 2020
Quick Silver is the rarest color only made in 2005.

Reactions: extrap

dinosgt

Aug 29, 2020
Wow ok - I dont want to burden folks with info that I can search (I forgot that function is now that is open to me!) - but is there a different silver for 2006?

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Wow ok - I dont want to burden folks with info that I can search (I forgot that function is now that is open to me!) - but is there a different silver for 2006?

'05 was silver, '06 was tungsten (darker than silver).

Last edited:

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

I should've mentioned, in case you haven't read the Bring a Trailer site's terms, it involves a Buyer Fee of 5% capped at $5K, so the winning bidder will be paying $5K on top of the winning bid amount.

Good luck with your search and purchase (y)

Last edited:

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC

Here's a post I did with a graph of how many cars were made in each color and stripe configuration.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Quick Silver is the rarest color only made in 2005.

I see combined '05 yellow + '06 yellow total more than the silver which was '05 only (y)

dinosgt

Aug 29, 2020
Here's a post I did with a graph of how many cars were made in each color and stripe configuration.
Many thanks!

dinosgt

Aug 29, 2020
Again - great chart - thank you. Can someone tell me why I see cars with only "Ford GT" lettering on the side vs a full stripe? Is that some variation of a stripe delete car?

Thanks much

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Side stripes are decals, whereas top stripes are painted. I think some guys removed the side stripes but left the FORD GT part.

dinosgt

Aug 29, 2020
Side stripes are decals, whereas top stripes are painted. I think some guys removed the side stripes but left the FORD GT part.

Great - thats what I was hoping. I kind of like the look but confused them as painted on.

Thanks again