Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
No statement as to when the new rules will be published. I'm curious what they are going to say about carbon fiber construction.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Interesting...History has shown us that certain rules have been strategically introduced to restrict new competitors and skew results in favor of the politically connected. Does one think there is some funny play here given Ford's entrance or purely for the good of the sport?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
No statement as to when the new rules will be published. I'm curious what they are going to say about carbon fiber construction.

Seriously, it's been killing me to not respond to you about this stuff prior to race program announcement. :lol

The rules for GTE were crafted with Ford at the table. Everything about the construction of the Ford GT has been based on the new homologation rules for GTE, which Ford was integral in lobbying to get x,y,z for (as all manufacturers do). The ACO is happy to oblige, as a Ford GT on the grid is a major, major win for them.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Seriously, it's been killing me to not respond to you about this stuff prior to race program announcement. :lol

The rules for GTE were crafted with Ford at the table. Everything about the construction of the Ford GT has been based on the new homologation rules for GTE, which Ford was integral in lobbying to get x,y,z for (as all manufacturers do). The ACO is happy to oblige, as a Ford GT on the grid is a major, major win for them.

This was expected. The car will not meet the 2015 rules so I totally expected a new set of rules that will validate the new Ford GT as a non-waivered vehicle. The movable wing is now a fixed (and more efficient design for racing), so that's not an issue. I think the last remaining thing would have been the CF construction, but CF was allowed with a larger homologation count. Allowing CF body has to be just them recognizing that the state of the art is advancing.

With that cutout hole on the top there won't be any place to put a Gurney bubble. I wonder if it could be IN the cutout? Again, the rules will probably have strict construction diagrams for how it has to look.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I wonder what the reduction in waivers will mean for the Viper? It's always been wavered due to the V10.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

If you want some 'comfort' with regard to Dave's statement, you need look no further than: "There will be free aero development allowed within imaginary ‘boxes’ around the wheelarches". Trust me, those rear 'flying buttresses', as shown on the GT in the GTE class, weren't an option under the prior rules. It's a clear development enabled by the rules change that should result in an advantage for Ford, assuming they have more quantifiable advantage (data) than CFD in their design. It sure looks cool, anyway..