New GT Owner

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
Michigan, Upper Peninsula
It all started out so innocently. I was quite contented with my current rides and took an opportunity in November to do some 'window shopping'. I had made arrangements to do some test drives of the Gallardo and the new Viper Coupe at a dealership near Columbus, Ohio. I repeatedly assured my wife "It's just looking, I'm not buying anything now". After the test drives she was perhaps starting to believe me.
Then it was off to Pittsburgh for my first look at the Ford GT. After seeing the GT in the flesh, the jig was up- Dorothy saw my face and cringed "Ohmygod, He's got that glazed look in his eyes". End of story, now a stupidly happy Ford GT owner.
Three observations:
-The most difficult part of the purchase process was picking a
color as the GT looks so good in so many colors.
-The Ford dealers that I worked with were accomodating and
cooperative.
-5 of the 9 dealers that I talked price with were willing to
bargain below MSRP.

Looking forward to seeing many of you this August.

Larry

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Awesome! Good to hear positive dealer experiences :lol Color?

And finally, someone from Michigan!

Congrats on the car and welcome to the site :cheers

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
Welcome! They say you can never recapture the euphoria of your first car (and other things), but this one does it for me.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Congratulations on your new GT!! You're already in love with the car and you'll certainly enjoy this site. Lots of great people and really good information available from those owners who share their experiences. And it was nice to hear from someone who had good experiences at dealerships. I'll wish you a short Michigan winter and hope to see you and others in August as well. Let us know what color/options you have!

GGIII

Feb 13, 2006
Savannah, GA
Congratulations! Hopefully, I'll be joining you shortly! :)

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
DBK said:
Awesome! Good to hear positive dealer experiences :lol Color?

And finally, someone from Michigan!

Congrats on the car and welcome to the site :cheers

I felt like a ping-pong ball in January bouncing around from red/white to black/silver to silver/black to black stripeless. It was the 'pop' that red/white gave on seeing it in the sunlight that swayed me. But I think I would have enjoyed any of the colors as each of them had their own emotions that they evoked.

DBK, you run a great site!

Larry :thumbsup

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Oh Yeah

Larry, Boy can I relate to your story. I'm at almost the same place you were. Been dealing with about a half dozen dealers, near and far. Looked closely at about 8 cars and still not quit sure on the color. I'm essentially down to red/white or black/silver. Have an appt to return to look over a nearby red/white car tomorrow afternoon, then the black car on Saturday. Also somewhat interested in going back to see a red/no stripe car. Oh God, decisions, decisions!
In reality, I'm probably going to end up where you did. Probably the red/white car for many reasons. Striking appeal, bright, sporty and just "right" for this car. Yet, the black is so classy and a bit more unique, but more difficult to maintain. So, preference red, but I could live with either. It may also come down to the final professional interaction I have with the dealers and their final deal.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Lary, great story..... Welcome!

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
ditto...ditto...ditto...love all the colors..

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
StuM said:
Larry, Boy can I relate to your story. I'm at almost the same place you were. Been dealing with about a half dozen dealers, near and far. Looked closely at about 8 cars and still not quit sure on the color. I'm essentially down to red/white or black/silver. Have an appt to return to look over a nearby red/white car tomorrow afternoon, then the black car on Saturday. Also somewhat interested in going back to see a red/no stripe car. Oh God, decisions, decisions!
In reality, I'm probably going to end up where you did. Probably the red/white car for many reasons. Striking appeal, bright, sporty and just "right" for this car. Yet, the black is so classy and a bit more unique, but more difficult to maintain. So, preference red, but I could live with either. It may also come down to the final professional interaction I have with the dealers and their final deal.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Stu, my two finalists were also the red/white and the black/silver. I figured that I couldn't go wrong with either. As I traveled on repeated occasions to both dealerships my personal mantra became "enjoy the process". Enjoy!

Larry :wink

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Trouble is, that car looks good in so many colours - it's those GT40 curves that were forged into our souls a few years back..!

Congratulations on the car Larry and yes, these things do start innocently! I recall going out to buy a pair of socks a couple of years ago and ended up returning with a 1952 Massey Ferguson tractor. An odd moment for my wife - a great one for my kids!

I went with red for my GT, looks fabulous (I have a red Aston Martin alongside it) - but I've been seriously in love with a destriped yellow one owned by one of our gang.

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
SteveA said:
Lary, great story..... Welcome!

Thanks Steve,

Loved the pics of your car with bumper delete. Looks awesome! It was great to see the pics of the five car get-together as us upper midwest folk have two feet of snow on the ground.

Larry

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
VPC - here she is...

Attachments

• L1000056 copy.jpg
    L1000056 copy.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
It was my findings that dealers were more likely to deal on a red car. There was one on eBay a couple days ago for 159 BIN.

Is there any data on how many of each color were built? There will be 3000 total, correct?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The two reds...

Attachments

• EPSN1046 copy.jpg
    EPSN1046 copy.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 136

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Neilda said:
VPC - here she is...

How cool is that thing! :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Neilda said:
VPC - here she is...

great picture, love that English country life :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Thanks! It's a very American muscle looking Aston from 1982 - mine is the only one of two of its type, so rather rare. A 6 litre V8 Volante Vantage known as 'The South Africa Spec' Vantage. It sounds amazing and is probably around 450bhp. It's not the greatest handling car, but was, I think, the fastest production convertible in it's day. They have fetched up to $.5m in the mad days. It's a good partner to the GT. A nice toy! I think we have some other Aston owners around here too- a very nice DB...

Attachments

• EPSN087%20copy copy.jpg
    EPSN087%20copy copy.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 95

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
........and I just realised I have accidentally hijacked this thread which was not my intention. Apologies. Cars just get me all exited!

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Neilda said:
........and I just realised I have accidentally hijacked this thread which was not my intention. Apologies. Cars just get me all exited!

No worries, I think the thread evolved nicely. What great photos of your cars and your local landscape! Thanks for sharing and for being a good forum member. And although we all love this car, we know how much you really must love it, given its scarcity/price overseas!