New GT owner, 3 Questions

Speedball

Aug 8, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Just drove my brand new GT from Houston to Los Angeles. 2,200 miles total in 5 days, ALL on small back roads. I've never experienced with any of my other cars the amount of interest the GT generated at every stop along the way .... Needless to say I had a great time.

I did experience a few minor issues.

1. Weather seal wind noise on the upper drivers door at 60 mph +. Never went away. Anyone else experience this? Was the dealer able to fix this problem?

2. At speed, above 120 mph, and up to my max of around 150, experienced a very twichy steering response, with the car fighting me a bit at the steering wheel. Nothing major or scary, just a lot of road input being transferred from the front tires to the steering wheel. The car feels solid with no frontend floating, just seems to jump around a little bit, left/right, but basically stays in a straight line.

By comparison, my 550 Maranello feels completely different and very stable at these speeds, likes it's on rails ...... any thoughts? Tire pressure, alignment ... or is this normal for the GT?

3. I'm 6' 4", I fit fine in the car, but am considering lowering the seat an inch to give me a little more head room (so I can scratch the top of my head) ... anyone done this? If so, what did you do?

Bottom line, I love this car .......

ETW

GT Owner
Jan 16, 2006
1. Sorry no experience
2. Must be something wrong with your car. I would have the alignment checked out
3. Scroll down on this page http://gtx1.com/options.html The seats can be lowered 2 inches

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
My drivers door has wind noise as well, reported to the dealer who said they did something, but the noise is still there. Have been back to the dealer yet to report again.

My steering is perfect up to 160.

The GTX1 people can lower the seat, I've tried working out the details a few times but I think they are more busy with conversions, so their interest in a seat isn't very high. Decided to wait until the rally to give one a try.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Welcome, the advise you have recvd so far is spot on. Be sure to join the California GT Registry that Awsum is maintaining. :wink

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
At high speed, my experience has been that the front end does start to get light.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
1. Not normal needs adjustment

2. Normal with standard alignment settings. Race track alignment settings substantial helps in correcting.

3. No wayto lower seat, option others spoke about consists of removing padding from seat cushion. The type of job a local upholstery shop can do very simply and more cost effectively.

Dave

ATM empty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Southern California
I had the seat lowered by the GTX1 people (total down time was six days). The drivers visor is no longer in my line of sight. Their work is factory quality, the car is one step closer to perfect. You can pull the passenger seat and send the bottom back east, the seats are interchangerable.

Jim

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ist thing check tire pressures. One VERY important detail to handeling that is often overlooked.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, the easiest is to check the tire pressure cold. On the bottom of the B pillar. Might want to check torque on the lug nuts. Should be 111 according to Technical Manual (owner's manual say 100).

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Its easy to adjust the doors yourself, all you need is a torx head and the two plastic female pieces on the body can be adjusted to fix the wind noise, I fixed my own and in my case is was just loosening and lowering the plastic pieces on the car a little bit.