New "Ceramic" finish protection

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Regarding Xcentric's comment, above: the detailer also recommended against ceramic protection under paint protection film because it affects the film's ability to adhere to the surface. Ceramic coating on top of the film doesn't add significantly to impact protection but makes clean up easy or unnecessary.

Howard

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
...... because it affects the film's ability to adhere to the surface.

I'd say that makes complete sense and is as one would expect. Was scratching my head about the idea of putting it under the film.

Ceramic coating on top of the film doesn't add significantly to impact protection but makes clean up easy or unnecessary.

...ie the same properties the coatings feature when put on paint.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Howard and I were talking with a detailer at C&C today. He quoted $1,500 for paint correction and ceramic finish.

After searching other car forums it seems the avg for CQuartz with paint correction is $800 - $1,300, so the $2K+ Colorado Detail quote would appear to be a gouge. This shop is the only "Authorized Installer" in Colorado so that probably plays a part. Don't these people know I have a GT to save for?

I find it fascinating reading about all the various coatings and how passionate people are about them. The installers are at each others throats over Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP), which seems like a fancy term for price fixing. Don't charge enough or too much? Lose your dealer status. There are heated discussions, including folks representing the various brands, that escalate into insults and tirades. Ppl losing their sh!t over fancy wax!? I know better than to go on other forums.

Who knew?! Back to square 1.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
After searching other car forums it seems the avg for CQuartz with paint correction is $800 - $1,300, so the $2K+ Colorado Detail quote would appear to be a gouge. This shop is the only "Authorized Installer" in Colorado so that probably plays a part.

I'd like to suggest you air your thoughts with Steve at CODetail and let him discuss what you get for your $. Ask him how much of his business is fixing the job that people already had done elsewhere that was "a better deal".

I have found him to be of the highest caliber of auto professional you could hope to work with. IMO there is no way he is going to charge you $2000 for the same level of service, product and quality that you can get for $800 -1300 elsewhere. He offers other ceramic coatings that are significantly less than C- Quartz Finest Reserve, if your GT is on a budget ask him about other options.

Last edited:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Ahh, ceramic coatings the next level of testing the never ending gullibility of sports car owners. Yes, it's the best thing out there . It's state of the art. But, just like folks spent thousands of useless hours debating Meguires, Zaino , Zymol etc. now it's CQuartz, Beads etc . XPel as much as you can stand then find almost any ceramic and DIY if you're bored. .

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I definitely wouldn't DIY. That stuff looks nasty when gone wrong, and it's a nightmare to get off.

Having been exposed to the underworld of detailers and paint film guys, they are more territorial than Mexican drug gangs.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
yeah I bet it's pretty easy to just read the labels and "DIY" your paint correction and ceramic coating. lol.

17632450_1115484345229836_2651865055547630229_o.jpg

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
...if your GT needs budget work instead of the best there is ask about your options.

See what I mean? Panties in a wad. :rofl I'm not calling your baby ugly.

Ahh, ceramic coatings the next level of testing the never ending gullibility of sports car owners.

I resemble that remark. Think I'll go with Opti Coat Pro Plus. The names of these products add to the absurdity.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
Think I'll go with Opti Coat Pro Plus.

I am just psyched about how well all these new coatings work, and am glad to hear you are planning on trying one. I did not mean to come across like I want to "make a case" for any product, rather just for CODetail being a good shop.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I've done it on 3 cars. Didn't strike me as difficult.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I've done it on 3 cars. Didn't strike me as difficult.

How'd you get the stuff? They only sell to installers.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
I understand that both CQuartz and Opticoat sell one line of coating for consumer DIY, and another line for installers only. The distributers/installers will sell you the consumer products directly without install. Or here is a link to an example on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Carpro-Cquartz-30-Ml-Kit/dp/B005DZJ7VA

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
The hard part of the whole application is properly preparing the paint surface. The ceramic/glass coating application is not hard at all. I finished my ST a couple of weeks ago using Kamikaze Miyabi Ceramic Glass Coating (30 ml bottle will set you back $100) and prepped the paint surface with Menzerna products. All products may be purchased online with no fuss, I have zero affiliation with these products. Below are pictures of the roof and the hood of my ST, note the GT belly pan reflection :biggrin (ST is parked under the GT lift).

Attachments

• st hood.jpg
    st hood.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 157
  • st roof.jpg
    st roof.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Nice!

I'm starting to lean towards doing it myself, I'm really only unhappy with a spot or two. I have DDs that I can practice paint correction on, one of which has about 6 acres of paint for me to buff (mega cab). I should have never started reading all the stuff online.

Besides, it's not like it really needs dozens of hours of paint correction. That's it dirty, taken with an old iphone.

IMG_7546.jpg