New Borla/FRPP Muffler "Cheap!"

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
$5K for a muffler? Insane! $2.5K for a muffler? Also insane. But!...you could rationalize it based on the first data point.

The pic for this one shows the same crappy 1st gen muffler (prone to weld cracks and rotted stuffing) as the new listing on the Ford Performance site. The one Borla has not made for years, but keeps showing up like a bad...muffler. The muffler equivalent of GT gauges.

This may be NOS. Crazy price yeah, but only a few hundred $ more than they used to be. If new, it should have the Borla million mile warranty. The question remains, how would Borla honor a warranty if they back out of the market? And, even if they can honor the warranty, swapping a GT muffler is another $500 if you farm it out.

As always, caveat emptor.

http://www.amazon.com/Borla-140310-Cat-Back-Exhaust-System/dp/B002LF8U36

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Why post this? different product using the same stock image, big deal? Seems though you had an issue with Borla, like clearplex?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Why post?

Somebody may want a muffler at half the price listed on Ford Performance, that's why.

No issue with Borla. They acknowledged their first gen FRPP muffler was a poor design. When my first gen failed (bought used), they replaced it with a second gen. No charge. Second gen is excellent. Borla customer support was excellent. Better than I expected. All I did was send them a pic of the cracked weld, and they sent me a new muffler.

Clearplex? Not getting the connection.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Not the way I read it at all, I now see what you are pointing out.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I had a gen 2 muffler welds fail in 3 spots. Borla replaced with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Borla is top notch when it comes to standing behind their products. I bought my muffler used off the forum and borla replaced it no questions and now use the cracked one as wall art!!

John