Need recomendation for Michigan tire store

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Anyone from north of Detroit area recommend a place to get tires done on the GT?

Discount tire Chesterfield MI. said they don't feel comfortable to do it without hurting the rim.
Leslie tire Mt. Clemens Mi. (used to be big NASCAR racers) said they wont take them off of the car nor feel comfortable saying they would need a week of working on it to install.

You would think 40 years of building race cars I could get tires mounted and balanced DUH???:willy

I prefer north Macomb Oakland area as I live north of Rochester Mi. 48094

Any help is appreciated.

Tom
:bang

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I would look for shops that use machines that don't have any metal touching the rims and are designed for large low profile tires. I always take my wheels off at home and drive them to the tire shop in my pickup. Less chance of any damage that way.

Poor Richard

GT Owner
Nov 17, 2012
New Jersey
I would look for shops that use machines that don't have any metal touching the rims and are designed for large low profile tires. I always take my wheels off at home and drive them to the tire shop in my pickup. Less chance of any damage that way.
I agree!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Tom - take the drive to MotorWerks in Walled lake Michigan. I had them install my Bridgestones before New Orleans rally. They do work on my car, TopShot's car, and others. Their equipment is all new Hunter Equipment with nylon inserts that touch the rim with no damage. They are also a "Tire Rack Dealer," so they order the tires for you, have them delivered in a few days then do the install.
They remove the tires / wheels , dismount , mount , clean and balance on the Hunter Equipment that adds 'roadload' as they dynamically balance
You can watch the complete process and then drive the car home...
Call them at 248-668-6793 or bmains@motorwerksgroup.com
They work on my Shelby Mustang, Mercedes, TBird etc..
Andy (AJB)

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
I had mine done @ mack ave and 8 mile rd ,belletire ,they did a lot of gt in the last years ,I took them the wheels in my case.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Look for a Goodyear store. One here has a no touch de-mounter/mounter and a g-force ballancer. Most of the shops didn't know what I was talking about.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Good tips and info guys.
Only have 4,000 miles on her but the tires are original so I need to get her something new for the winter storage.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Good tips and info guys.
Only have 4,000 miles on her but the tires are original so I need to get her something new for the winter storage.

New tires for storage??? I'd wait and have the new ones put on at the start of the driving season. JMHO

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
Absolutely! wait till spring. no flat spots.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Good tips, and it sounds like you'll have good choices for no-contact mounting.

Perhaps something to be wary of is using care when removing existing wheel weights. I speak from unfortunate experience. They did a fine job with de-mounting and mounting mar-free, but when they removed the wheel weights ( which they had previously applied ) they pulled some paint off with them. Still in discussions about how that's going to be fixed. I don't know if there is something they should have used to soften the adhesive before they pried/pulled them off, but unfortunately, some risk is there.