Need pricing help on selling my 05

BSim27

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 14, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
I understand those issues for sure, but for some reason I don't see them coming up on the Bring-a-Trailer site. It's as though buyers are convinced that BaT has thoroughly vetted every car, and that therefore most cars on BaT are essentially perfect, unless a flaw is disclosed or clearly visible in pics. Have never seen anybody ask in the comments to do a PPI, or whether one has already been done. Although, now that I think about it, it's certainly possible that bidders and the seller are communicating directly; I have seen sellers comment about bidders contacting them directly, outside the comments section. So I could envision a bidder doing a PPI and keeping the results to himself.

It seems like for GTs the biggest price factors are, in order: Heritage or not, mileage, color (the non-Heritage colors), and probably number of prior owners.

If BaT viewers / bidders are concerned about operational things like, How does it run? Does it leak? etc, I can't remember ever seen it in the auction comments.
Good observation: I spoke with a seller of a BAT GT over the last few months and I asked him how many people either came to look at the car or sent a mechanic for a PPI. He said none. I couldn’t believe it. It was 2 days before auction end.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
So BaT gets just $5000?? Or a percentage??

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
So BaT gets just $5000?? Or a percentage??

5% up to $5k max

5% up to $5k max
I've bought two cars on BaT. The site is great, but description adequacy depends entirely on the seller's honesty. One of the cars needed far more work than the seller disclosed. Fortunately, it all worked out even though it took over a year and some serious funds to correct everything. With that lesson in mind, I went to see and drive the other car before bidding on it, learned quite a bit that was not in the description, and am happy to have been able to get it. In my experience, BaT descriptions are often lacking important info that you might not know is needed. I would not buy a BaT car sight unseen unless it had a reliable PPI.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I've bought two cars on BaT. The site is great, but description adequacy depends entirely on the seller's honesty. One of the cars needed far more work than the seller disclosed. Fortunately, it all worked out even though it took over a year and some serious funds to correct everything. With that lesson in mind, I went to see and drive the other car before bidding on it, learned quite a bit that was not in the description, and am happy to have been able to get it. In my experience, BaT descriptions are often lacking important info that you might not know is needed. I would not buy a BaT car sight unseen unless it had a reliable PPI.

Good to know (y) And so far it seems like many BaT bidders are not aware of that, even though they should probably be skeptical and figure it out, as in all vehicle purchases.

Would be great to know what percentage of BaT transactions fall through.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I amazed people bid big dollars on a car that they are trusting the seller. I’ve bought cars sight unseen but had someone check the car out for me.

Reactions: roketman and extrap

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Just yesterday BAT ended an auction early for a 1969 911E that was being misrepresented. It turns out that car was badly crashed and poorly repaired and had a bunch of problems. One of the watchers on the thread had previously bought the car from the dealer that was now auctioning it and forced them to accept it back. He posted several warnings to other bidders, BAT followed up and decided to withdraw the auction. That doesn't happen for all bad cars, but BAT does follow up problem sellers and cars when they are exposed.

Reactions: nautoncall

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Just yesterday BAT ended an auction early for a 1969 911E that was being misrepresented. It turns out that car was badly crashed and poorly repaired and had a bunch of problems. One of the watchers on the thread had previously bought the car from the dealer that was now auctioning it and forced them to accept it back. He posted several warnings to other bidders, BAT followed up and decided to withdraw the auction. That doesn't happen for all bad cars, but BAT does follow up problem sellers and cars when they are exposed.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-porsche-911e-19/

Last edited:

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
32k mile GT just listed on BaT.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Good to know (y) And so far it seems like many BaT bidders are not aware of that, even though they should probably be skeptical and figure it out, as in all vehicle purchases.

Would be great to know what percentage of BaT transactions fall through.
I amazed people bid big dollars on a car that they are trusting the seller. I’ve bought cars sight unseen but had someone check the car out for me.
Couldn’t agree more!

BSim27

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 14, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
32k mile GT just listed on BaT.
Already up to $200k

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

Already up to $200k

Will be interesting to watch since it's the first one I've seen with anything over about 8k miles ... plus aftermarket wheels .. and collision repairs. Stripe delete might boost it some.

Shawn

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2018
PA
Probably would help sale value if they posted pictures of the damaged areas prior to repair.

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
That is a tough one ( colors are a big part of pricing, along with mileage and condition) .. I do not ever plan on selling mine and if I did it would take north of $300k at least.. My guess these will be over the $500k mark in a few years
on the classic broncos - I have two of them and they are really hot right now. I bought my 74 about 3 years ago for 1/2 of what the same is selling for today and the other is an unrestored baby blue 69' that had been women owned in the same state for 40+ years and showing just 75k miles ( which appears to be correct based on condition and the fact that the last owner never took it outside of her small town over 21 years... ) I have already been offer $75k on that one.. which 5 years ago would have been 25k

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
32K mile BaT car sold for $210K plus $5K BaT fee. The two accidents from previous owners may have been very minor, but without documentation, folks seemed nervous about those. The aftermarket wheels didn't help either.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
$215K ($210 to Seller and $5K to Bat) seems to be the market

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
32K mile BaT car sold for $210K plus $5K BaT fee. The two accidents from previous owners may have been very minor, but without documentation, folks seemed nervous about those. The aftermarket wheels didn't help either.

Yeah, the seller didn't help himself much at all with practically no details about the damage and posting quick, short answers to questions in the last few minutes of the auction, with typos. Seemed like a pretty sorry effort, although maybe he was busy and just couldn't focus on it. Also appeared to be cell phone pics again. Apparently a $200K+ vehicle isn't enough for somebody to spend a 2-3 hundred bucks on a good camera or a pro photographer. Too bad.

Last edited:

MGinLA

Jul 28, 2020
Calabasas, CA
Extrap, you are correct. That car would have done better with a good detail and better pictures. Even with that cars on BAT do not always sell. I think the seller left some on the table.

Reactions: extrap

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Extrap, you are correct. That car would have done better with a good detail and better pictures. Even with that cars on BAT do not always sell. I think the seller left some on the table.
With out seeing the car.I think it sounded like a bargain

Reactions: MGinLA

gregmhtd

GT Owner
May 10, 2016
Prosper, TX
the 32,000 mile 06' sold on BaT, 11/5 for $210K