Need help identifying this Ford GT40

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Well miracles do happen. I've spent 6 years living and working in Jakarta and have really missed the "car scene". Have gone to the occasional local "classic car show" where the same rich guy/s show off the same cars each year. Gets boring real quick. One of my employees who has a love for vintage Shelby Mustangs came in and said Pak (Mr.) there is a car just like yours where I park my moto (motorcycle) everyday. There is also a Ford Shelby GT Mustang located there too. Turns out it is only 2 blocks away from my office/apartment, So last Saturday it told my driver to pull into the basement parking area and sure enough behind a glass wall was both cars along with some vintage motorcycles.

Took the following pictures:
IMG_4533.jpgIMG_4540.jpgIMG_4558.jpgIMG_4545.jpgIMG_4556.jpg

Turns out they had a '56 MGA inside the motorcycle shop across form the cars. I have a '59 MGA back in the States. So on one Saturday I see two examples right here in Jakarta of cars I own. The MGA looked real as I could get up close to it, but not sure on the GT40 or the Shelby. To me I think the GT40 is a reproduction/kit car probably a Superperformance model.

Can anyone tell from the pictures who the manufacturer is? :confused

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"Can anyone tell from the pictures who the manufacturer is?"

'Looks like SPF's turn signal/'fog light' setup...but, I've seen photos of CAVs with the same as well. (An interior shot would likely tell the tale.)

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
"Can anyone tell from the pictures who the manufacturer is?"

'Looks like SPF's turn signal/'fog light' setup...but, I've seen photos of CAVs with the same as well. (An interior shot would likely tell the tale.)

Agreed. From all the details (for instance the camlocs on the nostril) it really looks like an SPF.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Agreed. From all the details (for instance the camlocs on the nostril) it really looks like an SPF.

Yeah, well, the whole thing just instantly 'felt' SPF to me for some reason. (God knows I've looked at enough of them [SPFs] over the past few months!) I've seen the exact 'decal' layout on this car (except for the 'shield' by the latch on the front fender) in photos on a couple of SPF sites...maybe that accounts for my gut feeling.

When I saw those camlocs, I instantly thought of your car! That might also have prejudiced my opinion as to what make I figured 'twas!

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
God knows I've looked at enough of them [SPFs] over the past few months!

Are you feeling the itch to replace your old (1067 was it?) GT? That WOULD be a fine replacement.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Are you feeling the itch to replace your old (1067 was it?) GT? That WOULD be a fine replacement.

Exactly. Either that or a Gen 5 Viper, Pro. I likely won't know for sure until we get the word on the Viper's actual cost and availability in August. But, I'm leaning toward the '40.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, if my vote counts, I'd give you 1079 votes for the GT40 compared to one for the new Viper. Not that the new Viper isn't a hot car. But, as delicately as I can put this......it's way easier for you to get into the GT40 NOW than it will be in 10 years (physically I mean), so get the GT40 now, sell it to me in 10 years and get the Gen 5 (or 6 or 7) Viper when that time comes.

Just my $0.02 of opinion. LOL

Sorry for the off topic Magic. Then again, I think we're all in agreement that it's a Superformance. And talking Larry back into a hot Ford is a respectable thread diversion. :)

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
For all the posting done, perhaps a FORD GT might be in order...

hmmmm....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well, if my vote counts, I'd give you 1079 votes for the GT40 compared to one for the new Viper.

Well, like I said, I am leaning that way! And after Tiny's post regarding his new stroker - I'm darn near FALLING that way! (I've pretty much always had 'unusual' cars anyway...cars that one doesn't run into around every corner. Sooner or later (probably sooner) the Gen 5 Viper will be fairly common. But, it's highly unlikely the GT40, just like the FGT, will ever be for a host of reasons. That's a big 'plus' for the '40 'far as I'm concerned.)

But, as delicately as I can put this......it's way easier for you to get into the GT40 NOW than it will be in 10 years (physically I mean), so get the GT40 now, sell it to me in 10 years and get the Gen 5 (or 6 or 7) Viper when that time comes.

:rofl Uuuuuuuuuuuuuh...just what is it you're REALLY trying to say there, Pro!

What's the old line? "Weep not for me. For as you now are, so I once was. As I now am, so shall YOU be." :tongue

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
What's the old line? "Weep not for me. For as you now are, so I once was. As I now am, so shall YOU be." :tongue

Unlikely...(but always a possiblility).

What's wrong with the Forum's identity car?

Last edited: