Nailed

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
How many owners have had a flat during the past year? It’s been some time since there was a post regarding flats, plugs and patches. Figured it was time to pick up a nail in the right rear tire and start a new post :thumbsdow It appears the field is split on repair and replace for casual driving. For those that have plugged or patched a tire, how have they fared during the past year? Is one repair recommended over the other? From the posts I’ve read, it appears that the tire may be a candidate for a repair since the damage is off the sidewall area. There are no plans for any high speed driving or track time until September. One concern that I have is that we’re heading into our infamous AZ summer and with the increased temps, will that have a negative affect on a repaired tire? I know the tire should be replaced but its condition is almost new and wear is minimal. Just trying to prolong the expense to pay for gas :lol

Attachments

• IMG_1957.jpg
    IMG_1957.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 362

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
There are many posts on this subject.

The owner's manual states clearly no flat repairs.

A plug would be a major no-no.

A patch on thel other side of the thread area might be ok for a small hole if you never exceeded posted limits.

Personally I would do a patch only for a short term emergency repair.

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
I think I've read most of the previous posts on the subject but wanted to see if opinions had changed over time. Repairing with a patch is what I was leaning towards and definitely for casual driving. If needed, the Hoosiers are always on call.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
If you drive the car like any other family car there should be no reason not to patch it.

Just resist the temptation to "exceed the limit".

The real drawback is if your patch lets go, you don't have a spare.:thumbsdow

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
If you drive the car like any other family car there should be no reason not to patch it.

Just resist the temptation to "exceed the limit".

The real drawback is if your patch lets go, you don't have a spare.:thumbsdow

I think something should be done. I don't like the idea of driving around with a roofing nail in the tire. My understanding is that the heated vulcanized patch repairs are not readily available and the RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanize) is the new standard for internal patching. Any thoughts :confused

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Patches.

Gentlemen,

I agree with Bony, no plugs. But if the tire is relatively new I would dismount it, and examine it after pulling out whatever punctured it. I know the owners manual says no repairs as the car is capable of 200 plus miles per hour and the tire must be safe at those speeds. But for me, as my car rarely sees even half that speed and I don't like throwing away brand-new $700 tires, I would patch the tire and use it for casual street driving. I wouldn't use it on a track day nor would I use it chasing DBK and Camillo down a deserted central California Highway at speeds that most light aircraft are not capable of. You could also tie a rope to it, hang it from a tall tree branch, and use it as a swing. :biggrin JMO

Chip

PS-- If you do decide to throw it away, just toss it into my front yard. :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Cost of car, $150,000.

New tire, $700.

I'd get a new one, that way you'd never worry about it - mount the repaired one on a spare rim and keep it as a memento in the garage. Which is what I did when the Murcielago had a flat...

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
I located an article from Kevin Rohlwing, an advisor for the Tire Industry Association. He addressed tire punctures in passenger and light trucks in this article. I'm presuming this would apply to the FGT (assuming normal :confused driving). If not, let me know.

"The most important component of a passenger or light truck tire repair is removing the tire from the wheel so the inside can be inspected" According to the author, without doing so, it could lead to a blowout.

There are 2 types of basic hole repairs. The first being a one-piece repair and the other being a two-piece.

The one piece should be performed only in the crown area and 1 1/2" from either shoulder. The maximum size of the hole should be less than 1/4". Also, the one-piece plug should be applied only to injuries of less than 25 degrees. The innerliner needs to buffed to a velvet like texture and a carbide cutter must be used to clean the channel, with a minimum of three passes from both sides. At this point, a thin layer of cement is applied to the channel and after becoming tacky the plug (with add'l cement) is inserted.

The two-piece repair can be installed anywhere on the crown without a maximum angle of injury. The installation of the plug is similar to the one-piece repair except the innerliner is buffed after the plug installation. At that point, cement needs to be worked into the channel before applying the patch.

CYA "If a recently repaired tire fails for any reason and someone is injured or killed, the dealer responsible for that tire's repair must be prepared to offer a strong defense on support of the service that was performed" I wonder how often this occurs :eek

I guess the first question is whether or not the owners that plugged the punctures removed the tire to inspect the innerliner? If so, was there any noticable damage? Did anyone apply the two-piece repair or just go with the one-piece? The last question I have is directed to Chip......can I make a swing in one of your cacti??

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
This is gunna sound a bit stuffy...but, safety issues, factory instructions, and all the rest aside, there's just something a wee bit repugnant about even the thought of putting a PATCH on the tire of a car that cost most owners here close to (and in some cases well OVER) $200K 'out the door'.

Ordinarially I don't consider myself a snob (others may have a different opinion on that!), but, ya, I gotta admit I might just hafta consider myself a member of that camp on this one issue at least.

To me, a GT wearin' patched tires is a bit like it's driver wearin' zircons 'steada th' real deal (or worse yet - his WIFE wearin' 'em! :ack).

Pompous Pockets

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
This is gunna sound a bit stuffy...but, safety issues, factory instructions, and all the rest aside, there's just something a wee bit repugnant about even the thought of putting a PATCH on the tire of a car that cost most owners here close to (and in some cases well OVER) $200K 'out the door'.

Ordinarially I don't consider myself a snob (others may have a different opinion on that!), but, ya, I gotta admit I might just hafta consider myself a member of that camp on this one issue at least.

To me, a GT wearin' patched tires is a bit like it's driver wearin' zircons 'steada th' real deal (or worse yet - his WIFE wearin' 'em! :ack).

Pompous Pockets

Wow Pompous :eek The topic is tires not a kit car. I just can't see the point of p'in away 3-4 hundred dollars on new rubber when the one damaged does have many more miles than yours :lol

John

Don't tell my wife about CZs

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Wow Pompous :eek The topic is tires not a kit car. I just can't see the point of p'in away 3-4 hundred dollars on new rubber when the one damaged does have many more miles than yours :lol

John

Don't tell my wife about CZs

'Most certainly do see your point, John. Really. (Well, ackshully BOTH of 'em. :mad :tongue) But, the idea of "patching" anything on a GT jus' duzzunt 'feel right' to me somehow.

Oh! And I promise not to mention a doggone word to yur Mrs.! Mumz th' wurd! :rofl :cheers :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I would agree with those that said, if you get it repaired correctly and always stay within the legal speed limits in the US <= 70 mph, there is very little risk. That said, how many of us always stay below that speed. It's like saying a repaired tire is OK if it is on Pocket's car. It just doesn't apply to our situation.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
That settles it.

John,

For your own safety, dismount that death trap immediately and hurl it into my front yard! :biggrin For an additional margin of safety, as the wheel may have been damaged when the tire was punctured, replace the wheel as well. :thumbsup When you hurl that wheel/tire combination over my front yard fence, take care not to damage any of my cactus. I'm here for you buddy!! :biggrin :banana :thumbsup

Chip

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I've been involved in litigation over tire failures and the experts I have talked to about this subject all say the same thing-a proper repair in a regular passenger car tire is fine. However, they do not advocate repairs to high performance tires because these tires, if used as the manufacturers intended, operate at extreme levels of performance. If you drive your GT like an old lady at the speed limit, you should have no problems with a repair. However, if you use your GT as intended, get a new tire. I've had 100 mile motorcycle tires get punctured and I simply throw them away and get a new one.

The two part repair outlined above (patch/plug) is the best method. The patch allows the tire to retain pressure and the plug prevents water from getting into the carcass and damaging the belts (which can lead to catastrophic failure).

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I have two rear tires that where plugged and run on the car just long enough for tire rack to send me two new tires. Unfortunately, I bought them 7 days apart. Got a nail in the left rear ... replaced it. Then a week later got a nail in the right rear. So Chip if you want a matched set of rear plug tires I'm here for you buddy. They've been sitting in my garage for the last year.

Never run a plugged tire on a car that begs you to go fast. A farm truck ok. a tractor ... ok. never on a hi-po street car. IMHO.

Oh yeah ... according to Jeff .. always replace GT tires in pairs.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Never run a plugged tire on a car that begs you to go fast. A farm truck ok. a tractor ... ok. never on a hi-po street car. IMHO...

I agree, unless you drive your car like Pockets. :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I agree, unless you drive your car like Pockets. :lol

Okay! Dat's TWICE inna same thread!

THEREFORE:

- May yew always drink down stream from a herd of diseased yacks.

- May the sewer line from a Bangkok den of iniquity back up into your breakfast.

And,

- May you discover that the photo of your girlfriend's brother she kept on her dressing table was actually one of HER before her "operation".

Payback Pockets

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
- May you discover that the photo of your girlfriend's brother she kept on her dressing table was actually one of HER before her "operation".

Payback Pockets

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

:ack:ack

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Sorry Pockets, I must have caught you on a bad day. BTW the operation must have been a complete success and made unknown medical history. I have two boys 6 and 11.

The miracles of science.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Sorry Pockets, I must have caught you on a bad day. BTW the operation must have been a complete success and made unknown medical history. I have two boys 6 and 11.

The miracles of science.

I specifically referred to your GIRLFRIEND (FORMER girlfriend implied).

I think Bony has pictures...and his avatar ain't wunna 'em! :biggrin