My week at Bondurant

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
After reading John Hennessey's post about the Ford Racing School (my next adventure), I thought I would share my track experience this week. I took Bondurant's 4 day Forza Grand Prix road racing course and highly recommend it.

I didn't have prior road racing experience but this was perhaps the most fun I've ever had automotive wise. My professional driver/instructor Austin was incredibly knowledgeable and experienced. We spent the first 3 days in the Vipers. Some of what we worked on: heel toe shifting, drifting, driving techniques on the track, skid cars that simulated driving on ice, 70-0 braking, figure 8 doughnuts, accident avoidance, class room time learning about technique and etiquette, and much more. I learned SO much and they let us tear it up with the Vipers. We spent a LOT of time on the track in day 2 and 3 (8:30-4pm days) and I easily went through a set of tires.

The last day was dedicated to driving the open wheel formula 3 Mazdas. This was by far the best part. Bob Bondurant and our two instructors spent the entire last day with myself and one other driver critiquing and helping us improve. A 3 to 2 teacher to driver ratio! Bob and I relived his glory days with the GT40, Daytona and Cobra. Completely unexpected but awesome that he was so down to earth and took the time to help us all day. Great people and an unforgettable experience that I would highly recommend. I found myself somewhat depressed the last afternoon which told me how awesome of a time I had. (I purchased at Barrett Jackson a few years ago for over 20% off the course, so there are discounts out there off full price).

Attachments

• IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 210

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
nice !! Looks like a blast !!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I did the 4 day class and the advanced class twice. It's a great time every time. The formula mazda are the funnest little cars I ever drove. In the advanced class you can drive your own car but the recommend doing it only half day on the last day after you've thrashed their tires. You can do advanced in the Mazda but they don't do it often and require a minimum of two. On my last time I was to be the only one and could have switched between the vette and mazda but then someone else showed up. I was going to bring the gt but the weather going from Colo turned to snow so I didn't. Glad because we went through two blizzards going and coming.

They have since changed from corvettes to dodge products. I'd like to try a viper some day. I wonder what they will do now that viper is done.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ps. I got my classes in silent auctions at the Shelby American collection party and used it to upgrade. I had a whole bunch of pictures but the USB keys got misplaced in the move to Vegas.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I too did this, but a couple years ago.... Circa 1993. We used fox bodies, SHO Sables (yes sho sable), and formula fords. I learned a lot, and was a great experience.