My new no-stripe Tungsten GT! (a.k.a. Paul, Brian, and Rich's excellent adventure)

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
It was COLD in Denver yesterday.....

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
As some of you know, I had a new '06 blue no-stripe GT in 2006, but only kept it a few months.

Ever since then I've been thinking about getting another one.

And finally, I have!

Changing my avatar accordingly.....

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
I posted a detailed "looking for" thread on December 24th, and forum member "Beez" replied on Christmas day with a few details of his car, and that although he hadn't firmly decided to sell it, he was leaning that way, and would make a decision over the next several weeks.

We talked on the phone a day or two later, and I could immediately tell he was the kind of guy I like buying cars from: total straight-shooter, totally honest. We hit it off.

Over the next few weeks, he sent more details and photos about the car, and we spoke several more times.

Finally a couple weeks ago we got to what is often the hard part of the discussion: price.

And amazingly, we were in sync on that, too.
ford.jpg

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Obviously, I wanted to see the car in person, and knew that using GT expert Rich Brooks (a.k.a. theGTguy) for a PPI would be money well spent. Brian has owned the car about three years, so there were 11 years before his ownership that he believed were incident-free, but obviously didn't have firsthand knowledge of the car over those years.

So Tuesday afternoon Rich flew from Detroit, and I from Cincinnati, meeting at the Denver airport. After a beer or two and a few wings at the Hilton Garden Inn, we retreated to our respective rooms, regrouping in the morning for coffee, then showing up at Brian's at 8:00 sharp.

Fortunately, Brian has a heated 3-car garage with a drive-on 4 post lift. Over four hours later, I had the full bill of health on the car, and had learned a lot about the car from Rich and Brian, too.

The only tiny issue that Brian hadn't noticed was a small leak on one of the rear shocks.

No biggie to me- I mean, the car IS 14 years old, so a few things like that are totally normal and to be expected.

We shook hands and stuck to our deal. Then Brian treated us to lunch at a local brewpub before we departed for points east.

IMG_9172 sm.jpgIMG_9167 sm.jpgIMG_9169 sm.jpgIMG_9216 sm.jpgIMG_9212 sm.jpg

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Needless to say, I'm psyched.

This car is EXACTLY what I was looking for: Tungsten no-stripe no mac. Has 5000 miles.

The car has a few mild and tasteful mods to customize it to Brian's taste, and I will do the same.

The car is lowered an inch, I'll reverse that. Has rear bumper delete, I'm probably going to reverse that.

Originally had gray calipers, Brian changed to red. I will change back. (He had all the original parts.)

I also have ordered short shift kit and Ford tranny cooler, and obviously a new set of four shocks.

It'll take me a week to get the funds liquid, and then a week or two to get the car shipped. (Oh, and somehow make room for it in my tiny garage!)

Last edited:

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Congrats. fantastic story.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Congrats on your purchase. Wise move to have Rich look at the car. Love those no stripe GTs.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Finally, I want to thank Brian, for being totally straight and honest about the car. He's a great guy- I'm glad I met him. And in fact, he has family in Cincinnati, so I'm sure we will be getting together again in the future.

Also want to thank Rich Brooks for fitting this PPI in to his busy schedule. Looking forward to having him help out with a few mods in the future.

And finally, I want to thank DBK for putting up with my dozens of PMs over the years (actually, decades!) as I went back and forth on buying a GT again or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beez and JWZ

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Hell yeah - Congratulations on a beautiful GT

Reactions: centerpunch

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What brew pub? I lived in the area for a long time and hit them all...

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
What brew pub? I lived in the area for a long time and hit them all...

I have no idea! Didn't pay attention- I was thinking about my car!

Last edited:

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Congrats to both of you!

Voda

Aug 26, 2014
Las Vegas
Sounds like it went down the way things should. Congrats

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
Hey that’s an amazing color and especially with no stripe, congrats! Love, love my short shifter, nice choice. Coincidentally I also had a leak found (thanks Kendall) in a rear shock, mine passenger side.

Best of luck with the car, careful not to start in third gear, I like to pull second first to be sure when it’s cold.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Beautiful car! Enjoy!!

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Congratulations on finding your beautiful GT! Enjoy!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Congrats! Its a very nice car and Brian is a great guy..

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
congrats you checked all the pre buy boxes

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Congratulations 'punch, great story, great photos, great posts!

All your hard work and due diligence paid off.

You found a tightly spec'd car from a great seller.

Don't sell this one, LOL, have much fun!

Tomcat

GT Owner
Congratulations from another tungsten gray owner