My New Gal/No side Latches

Schiff92

GT Owner
Oct 8, 2011
Southern Illinois
Hello to all!!

Recently i purchased my new girl, she's a 05 white with blue and i absolutely adore her ( yes this is one of the mecum Dallas auction cars) Understood it needs minor detail work, but as i do that on the side i have no problem with that at all and will be spending plenty of time with her in my shop once she arrives. Over all its a very straight car i have found no major problems with it while at the auction, after
crossing the block,and speaking with the previous owners (2) they never seemed to have anything wrong either, i also spoke with all the dealerships who preformed any work on the car. As i am new to the
GT community i am lost on one major thing. My car dose not have side latches to open the front boot, and passenger side fuel door there is a small button that opes the fuel door under the right hand side of the dash and the boot release is directly under the steering column as a pull device. If there is anyone who could give me some assistance with this i would greatly appreciate it. I have talked with a few people at a local dealership in Saint Louis and am waiting to hear back from them soon. Any help again would be greatly appreciated. I will up load photos once she arrives.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Welcome aboard - I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here - and will enjoy the companionship of other owners.

As to the missing latches, it sounds to me that it was a custom installation - and isn't a currently offered aftermarket change. Others may be aware of it, but I haven't heard of this before. Sounds interesting though....

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
You have a rare one there, I don't think Ford built any Ford GT's with out the side release latches for the boot or gas filler doors. Some one else know something about this?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
By the way -

It sounds like you may be close to Dr. Frank (fjpikul) - I'm sure he would enjoy looking at your gal....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My car dose not have side latches to open the front boot, and passenger side fuel door there is a small button that opes the fuel door under the right hand side of the dash and the boot release is directly under the steering column as a pull device. .

Welcome aboard - I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here - and will enjoy the companionship of other owners.

As to the missing latches, it sounds to me that it was a custom installation - and isn't a currently offered aftermarket change. Others may be aware of it, but I haven't heard of this before. Sounds interesting though....

What Ralphie said.

Could you possibly post photos of these features? I've never seen or heard of a FGT equipped as you describe.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What Ralphie said.

Could you possibly post photos of these features? I've never seen or heard of a FGT equipped as you discribe.

+3

Schiff92

GT Owner
Oct 8, 2011
Southern Illinois
Thanks for the quick responses everyone!! I will post some pictures here in a few minutes once they up load. As i said I have been stumped by this every since i saw it, but dont worry ill have the pictures up here in a few

Schiff92

GT Owner
Oct 8, 2011
Southern Illinois
DSC02138.jpg

Schiff92

GT Owner
Oct 8, 2011
Southern Illinois
By the way -

It sounds like you may be close to Dr. Frank (fjpikul) - I'm sure he would enjoy looking at your gal....

Thanks allot ill have to find him, im not to far away from downtown saint louis

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Wow,

That is a Mystery wrapped in Enigma within a Conundrum.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You have the only GT on the planet without those side latches. 'Has to have been a custom mod.

'Curious to see the dash button/steering column lever setups.

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Is the car a rebuild?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Custom job. Not difficult with the hatch release, but the gas cap release must be really trick. I'm in Belleville.

Schiff92

GT Owner
Oct 8, 2011
Southern Illinois
Is the car a rebuild?

Not that I have found..all car fax came back clean and the oasis report I ran today came back as only the spedo was replaced under ford warranty.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I think it is cool. Very clean and one of a kind. :thumbsup

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Wow! A latch delete car!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Welcome & Interesting mod.

H

HHGT

Welcome and congrats.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
very cool car indeed, but has to be a custom mod, I dont think anyone know of a rare car without latches,
when we pulled my car apart to repaint the front clip I added a hidden button to open the gas cap from outside of the car because I didnt like taking the key out and taking it with me to open the gas cap.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?14567-I-ve-been-busy!-lots-of-pics&highlight=

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
very cool car indeed, but has to be a custom mod, I dont think anyone know of a rare car without latches,
when we pulled my car apart to repaint the front clip I added a hidden button to open the gas cap from outside of the car because I didnt like taking the key out and taking it with me to open the gas cap.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?14567-I-ve-been-busy!-lots-of-pics&highlight=

i received a spare key with my car "with no chip" that i keep in the front pocket of the seat. this way i don't have to remove the key from the ignition when filling the tank. works well for me