Washington State
Can these still be done?

As long as Kip is still breathing...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
As long as Kip is still breathing...
I love them. The thought of taking a SawzAll to my car makes me cringe but I think they look cool. Would it be blasphemous to do one to a Heritage? Are there any others? I'd like to see what one looks like.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The thought of taking a SawzAll to my car makes me cringe...
'Couldn't agree more! But, what's the ole saying in the auto hobby world? "Anybody can restore a car. It takes a REAL MAN to cut one up!"

Would it be blasphemous to do one to a Heritage?
Some would opine it's a blasphemy to do it to any FGT.

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
This is an older conversion. My car was one of the last made by Genaddi...

Steve Woodrough

GTX1 Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 31, 2007
St. Petersburg, Florida
My car was one of the last made by Genaddi...
What number did Genaddi Design assign to your GTX1? It's my understanding that less than 30 GTX1s were actually produced by Genaddi Design.

Steve

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Steve W.

Not a hi-jack, but your car was one of very favorite at the Rally. Love the color scheme. Surprised the "Saints" did not ask you to do some promo work! haha

Beautiful car!

Larry
THUGBOAT

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Would it be blasphemous to do one to a Heritage?...
Why does the paint selection make a difference? Let's face it, a "Heritage" is the same GT as all the others under it's skin color. And, while I loved John Wyer's organization, the GT40's that he ran were privateers, not factory cars. And, they (P/1074 and P/1075) were rebuilds of Mirages (M.10002 and M.10003). There is a lot of hype in the forum about the increased worth of the "Heritage" model, which was originally priced by Ford as a $13,500 option (Wow!). Seems like Ford was making a nice profit on the Gulf sponsored colors, after dropping their own sponsorship of the GT40's and forcing Wyer to obtain funding from an independent source.

In actuality, the true winning Ford heritage colors should be the "Mark II Black with Silver Stripes" version (1966 Le Mans Winner P/1046, a Mark II GT40), and the "Mark IV Red with White Stripes" version (1967 Le Mans Winner J-6, a Mark IV GT40).

I'm not trying to demean the current GT Heritage models, as I think thet are a wonderful tribute to John Wyer Associates, and their great efforts that continued the domination of Ford at Le Mans and other international races, and for bringing the Gulf Oil Corporation into sponsorship of international racing.

So, concerning "Blasphemous" to cut up a GT, I think that having the orignal champion of the GTX1, namely Kip Ewing, modify a GT to the alternate configuration would be a tribute. And, having Kip doing it (instead of Gennadi) means that it will be done correctly and properly. For those who wish to have the GTX1 configuration, I would maintain that any color would be a great choice, and only depends on the desires of the purchaser.

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Kip has transformed this GTX1 into a concours example of masterful design, engineering and technology. Congratulations Stevo and Kip!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
...was originally priced by Ford as a $13,500 option (Wow!).
It was a 13.5K option. But you didn't have have the 8500 stripe option (my memory, is that correct?). So the true cost of a heritage paint job was really only the difference between the Heritage and a striped car, not a full 13.5K over a striped car.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
It was a 13.5K option. But you didn't have have the 8500 stripe option (my memory, is that correct?). So the true cost of a heritage paint job was really only the difference between the Heritage and a striped car, not a full 13.5K over a striped car.
You are correct, almost. The Stripe option was $5,350, thus the actual MSRP difference was $8,150 for the Gulf Oil colors (maybe they gave that increase to Gulf?). :confused

Last edited:

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
Sorry to hear that indeed. Sure a lot of people appreciate your work. As told the roof's design is perfect. I'm anxiously waiting for the soft roof ! Cheers

Thank your for the comments, Stevo.
It means a lot to me and my crew, when owners appreciate our work.
I've been going through a heavy family crisis, as of late, so this really cheers me up!

To the questions about building GTX1s; yes, we do offer a full GTX1 roadster conversion.
We re-tooled all of the components associated with the original design, making additional refinements.
We also offer a one-piece hardtop for the existing cars. Additionally - we are completing the development of a soft top for the GTX1 that retains all of the sealing and latching refinements we developed for our hardtop design. The first article was built for Stevo, and we will post details soon.

robt777

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 28, 2010
Florida & Ohio
Car looks great Stevo. Sorry I missed connecting with you in Monaco.
Bob

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
My GTX finally arrived ! Thanks to Kip who performed a great job. This car deserved that !

IMG_0628.jpgIMG_0629.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
You are correct, almost. The Stripe option was $5,350, thus the actual MSRP difference was $8,150 for the Gulf Oil colors (maybe they gave that increase to Gulf?). :confused
$5,350 just for stripes makes the Heritage paint seem like a bargain!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
$5,350 just for stripes makes the Heritage paint seem like a bargain!
And thus is my desire. I love black cars, my wife hates that I love black cars. But I think the most wonderful color combination would be either a black base car with either red or sliver bra. I had a hook on a black no strip car and was going to try to do a red stripe herigate bra and my wife nixed. For my black OCD, the blue/gold is much calmer :)

I'll add that a yellow with a black or silver bra would be a good combo. A Tungsten with a black bra would work too.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Congratulations - looks beautiful - :thumbsup

GTX1's are few & far between - very rare!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'STUNNING car!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup