Ft. Lauderdale
Nice color Kendall congrats!!

+1

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Congrats! I'm so jealous...I was able to secure an allocation for the identical car. Unfortunately it's not built yet and I can't wait! Please keep us posted!

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Same here. ! Allocation but no build date!! What is your impression so far?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
OK, so here is some initial feedback after ~250 miles.

1. Driven from 0-70% of the car's capabilities it is very Focus ST-like without the torque steer which takes some getting used to in the ST but is completely absent in the AWD RS. Ride is firm but compliant - controls a tad on the heavy side - both of which I really like. If you were guided into the car with a blindfold, you might guess you were in a BMW. All of this is good, but not terribly differentiating.

2. Power is nice but not at all overwhelming. This car's 4.5 sec 0-60 time is greatly assisted by launch control and AWD. Further deceiving the car's real power is it's linearity. "Grunty" power down low in the RPM range - no discernible turbo lag, and then just turbine-like pull. Reminds me of the normally aspirated E46 M3 but with quite a bit more torque available at lower RPM.

3. I hate the sound being plumbed in over the car's speakers. Ford, please save that crap for non-enthusiast cars but I feel it is insulting. What's next - why not give me funny car sounds when I amble away from a stop light. I really hate it. I mean, really. Windows up, Sport mode (exhaust valve open), and dip into the throttle as you pull away from a light..... VAROOOMMMMM!! says the speakers. Meanwhile, people strolling 5' away on the sidewalk sipping their coffee totally oblivious to the sports car nearby. Give me a break. Turn it off? Nope. Not an option.

4. Version 3 of Ford's Sync system. Still quirky. Much more Windows than Mac. Kind of explains why 95% of all VCRs ever made seemed to be flashing 12:00 their entire lives.

Pretty rave review, eh? This is how I more or less felt after the first 75 miles or so. How could so many people and reviews be so over-the-top on this car. I better get back in, leave my skirt at home and go DRIVE this car.

5. OMG. This car NEEDS to be driven in the 70-100% range because THIS is where it rewards. Clark Kent sheds his suit and Superman is revealed! Damn, I'm a GREAT driver! Well no, not really, but this car makes you feel that way. This car's cornering capability is simply unworldly.... and I really mean that. From turn-in which is incredibly precise and very quick - so quick at times that you fear you've just launched into something way over your head and suddenly the car just does the miraculous. It maintains that way-too-tight-for-this-speed line, and just assaults mid-corner and then catapults out of corner exit.... pulling out with authority and begging for the next turn in. It really makes you wonder... how the hell did the car just do that? Obviously, there's only one explanation - I'm the worlds BEST F'G DRIVER, that's how!!

In all seriousness the car is good, very good. I predict there will be buyers who can't, won't, or dislike driving in a spirited way (other than a straight line) and for those I recommend the Focus ST. If you like lateral acceleration and/or if you like keeping up or passing supercars that cost 2X-3X more than the RS in you favorite canyons, then the RS is a great choice. I promise you a jaw-dropping experience the first time you throw this car into a corner and it just says. "OK, now what?"

Last edited:

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Exhaust sound through the speakers??? Even if radio turned off?? The rest of review sounds great!!

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Best part of the whole review "I'm the worlds BEST F'G DRIVER, that's how!! " :thumbsup

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
yeah I'm on the same page here....why, why why!!!! :/ I hope that feature won't be available in future RS's....but I'm sure you can disable it by cutting a cable or two ;) lol

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
oh, btw, congratulations on the RS! I'm jealous! :)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I bet pulling a fuse or two will get rid of the simulated exhaust sounds. I course you will be without a radio.