MOTORCRAFT changes transmission oil from SAE 75W-90 to 75W-140

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Ford (not Motorcraft) lists a change to trans oil.

Went to get some transmission oil and the computer in parts shows a change for the GT moving forward.
Not sure when this change came into play?

IMG_2118.jpegIMG_2120.jpegIMG_2108.jpeg

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is NOT CORRECT!!!

The 2005-2006 GT still use 75W90QGT. Notice this part number - last 3 letters are QGT, not QLS. QLS is a rear axle lubricant and QGT is a Transaxle (GT-only) lubricant.... and HAS NOT been superseded.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Thanks 99.
I guess Im heading back to the parts department.
Might have to get this deleted.....

Reactions: HNS

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
No worries.... those dang last 3 letters have caused many people - including myself, to be shipped the wrong lubricant!!

Reactions: HNS

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Done. Wasted an hour and have to wait few days for stuff to come up from Miami.
Now about $53 a quart.

Reactions: Pettyfan43

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Done. Wasted an hour and have to wait few days for stuff to come up from Miami.
Now about $53 a quart.
Do you have the link to the seller? Cheapest l found was 58 dollars a quart with free delivery.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Ford (not Motorcraft) lists a change to trans oil.

Went to get some transmission oil and the computer in parts shows a change for the GT moving forward.
Not sure when this change came into play?

View attachment 65894View attachment 65896View attachment 65895
the one that says 'transaxle lubricant' on the bottle?

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Whilst I was returning the wrong stuff I had to order the right stuff that now costs about $53 now so about $10 more per bottle the 13 months ago
It has to come from Miami (up to Orlando) they should've called me couple days ago on its arrival....grrrr
I have a Cooltech trans cooler so need 3/4 the 5th bottle for that.
Trailering off to Hefner Tues for trans out shipped to HCF for their 3:90 set up.
Ships back dry (didn't know this) so have to get lube for Jason on its return/refill.
Stuart A

Reactions: tpraceman

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Anyone, how many quarts needed to do a change? I know I could look up in a manual...at work.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
4 quarts for a change.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Can a moderator change the title of this thread to say "NOT"!

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Do you have the link to the seller? Cheapest l found was 58 dollars a quart with free delivery.
I was at the nearest Ford dealer I use for parts "Tropical Ford" here in Orlando .... parts shop number 407 851 1486

He just did a search and found some in Miami at the time.

Reactions: Art138

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Can a moderator change the title of this thread to say "NOT"!
Yes Tomcat... good idea

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Almost 100 percent of the time I order anything for my FGT, they try to give me MUSTANG GT parts. You usually have to repeat yourself many times and to talk very slowly and deliberately and even ask them if they know a Ford GT is different than a Mustang GT. Most of the time, they say: "What?" The turnover of FORD dealer personnel in my area is very large, so you seem to always be talking to someone new and inexperienced.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Look forward to your 3.90 reviews. On the road and track. Ii have always been tempted to go for that mod.

Reactions: 2112 and GT@50

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Look forward to your 3.90 reviews. On the road and track. Ii have always been tempted to go for that mod.
I want to get many street miles in it before heading back to Sebring to try it out.
On the speedo I was seeing close to 150mph back straight, and just got into 4th gear for maybe 10 sec.

I know I'll need the speedo corrected with the 3:90 but will be interesting to see the way it moves from 75-150mph

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Warning: You will use much more gasoline. Have extra ready.

Reactions: HOOKED ON GT

06 fgt

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2022
arnold mo
so on this transaxle fluid,the additive is allready in the fluid,drain and pour in the correct fluid from ford and go,right?

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
so on this transaxle fluid,the additive is allready in the fluid,drain and pour in the correct fluid from ford and go,right?
Aren't you from the "show me" state? If it doesn't say to add an additive, don't add one. Doesn't matter if its a FGT or Hugo.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Since this thread has been revived, I'll suggest something else to all of you. Do oil sample analysis of the trans fluid too. I did with Blackstone the last time I changed it. Their analysis was that it was a little high on some metals, but that I needed to do another sample next change to start to establish the baseline. The oil plug had some fine fuzz on it, but no chips. That's about what I'd expect for a manny tranny with synchros. Synchros do wear and produce fine fuzz. I'm coming up on 80,000 miles.

I have already gone to extended engine oil changes based on oil sample analysis (10,000 miles). I plan to do the same with transaxle fluid, based on the results of the next change (due around 90Kmi.). Unless some EP components are degrading, I don't see why the fluid should be changed every 30Kmi automatically.

Reactions: analogdesigner