Minimum Garage Ceiling Height for a lift

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I recently sold my home with 12' garage ceilings/lift and am browsing the home market. There are very few homes with more than a 3CG or room to add where I'm looking so I am wondering what lower garage ceiling heights everyone is getting away with (or the height from the floor to the door roll up frame). I will be storing nothing taller than the GT and an older or newer Mustang/sports car. Thanks!

Reactions: Special K

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I recently sold my home with 12' garage ceilings/lift and am browsing the home market. There are very few homes with more than a 3CG or room to add where I'm looking so I am wondering what lower garage ceiling heights everyone is getting away with (or the height from the floor to the door roll up frame). I will be storing nothing taller than the GT and an older or newer Mustang/sports car. Thanks!
With the GTs measuring in under 4’, any garage with a 9’ ceiling would give you ample headroom to stack two cars.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I have 10' 6". With the Bendpak HD-9 at maximum height (as in photo), there is 4" clearance above the GT with door open (2nd photo). Jackscrew opener lets you get the rails close to the ceiling. The clearance under the rear ramps (which are locked "up") is 63". If you let the ramps droop, you lose several inches. If you get removable ramps, you gain several inches. If you are really cutting it close, measure carefully.

20190524_122131.jpg20190524_164242.jpg

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

the bean is at 10' 3" in my garage.. had to get garage door lifted up to the ceiling and within the space of the beam, but yes.... a FGT AND Mustang will fit

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Keep in mind using side mount garage door openers allows you to push the garage door hardware within inches of the ceiling and gaining lots more room when the door is raised.

20190524_122519.jpg20190524_122716.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FerrariSlayer

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I thought I was the only one who loomed the garage door opener wires.

Reactions: Special K

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
my old place was a little over 9 feet and I was able to stack my 05 gt and 69 boss 302 or both GTs together. the boss was lowered significantly and I had to raise the door very close to the ceiling to clear and even then the fit was very close, less than a few inches of clearance on each car.. 10 feet would be much better and with a little extra room to spare.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
14 foot floor to ceiling. Tight but fits tall vehicles. The side door lift is awesome, quiet, fast, and so much more clearance.

Attachments

• 20180916_134135.jpg
    20180916_134135.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20180916_134142.jpg
    20180916_134142.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20190524_160100.jpg
    20190524_160100.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 39

Tomcat

GT Owner
9' ceiling...GT sized cars

Attachments

• Stacked Pantera NSX.JPG
    Stacked Pantera NSX.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: RPM217

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Also important is the length of the garage. Some garages are less than 20 feet but 22 feet minimum preferred for lift

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Am I screwed, or can I use a lift? Ceiling is 2 inches shy of 9 ft, ceiling fixtures measure 3 inches but not in the footprint of where the lift would go. How much height is lost with the side mount opener? Would really love to have a lift both for storage and to get under the GT. Any specific recommendations regarding specific openers and lifts appreciated.

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Am I screwed, or can I use a lift? Ceiling is 2 inches shy of 9 ft, ceiling fixtures measure 3 inches but not in the footprint of where the lift would go. How much height is lost with the side mount opener? Would really love to have a lift both for storage and to get under the GT. Any specific recommendations regarding specific openers and lifts appreciated.

For lifts there are a variety. I have Bendpack as they have a “wide” version so easy on- making the FGT easy to get on, off or under. No worries about mirror lost. Go to garagejournal.com where there is literally hundreds of thread, tip, review on lifts...

While I don’t have a side lifter, Chamberlain/ Liftmaster is the only brand I would trust. ~$375 at Walmart or elsewhere.

You also have to have the door hug the ceiling. That requires track extensions, longer cables and the remount... have a local GD company give ya a quote with installing the side lifter.....

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Thanks for the info.. Still uncertain, do I have enough clearance to pursue this?

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Thanks for the info.. Still uncertain, do I have enough clearance to pursue this?

In the earlier pic I posted of my setup, wit FGT on bottom, at a lock position the measurement from top to ramp to ground is 50” leaving balance for 2nd car......

....or in your case Max of 55” wo safety space to beam

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Great. thanks.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
anything under 9 is cutting it way too close and will probably not work unless you are stacking two lowered ford Gts

the easiest way to be certain is to go to the bendpak website they have all the technical data on their lifts and exact dimensions

bendpak ladders have a 4 inch travel from one position to the next and you have to go beyond the desired ladder position(height) to be able to release the locks and set the car down on a locked position on the lift so you will need to take that into consideration

measure both cars that will go on the lift and add 10 inches to be on the safe side if the combined measurement is less than the ceiling height then you should be ok

of course dont forget that once the cars fit on the lift when the garage door is open it must clear the car on top (this may not apply in your scenario but important nonetheless.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Also important is the length of the garage. Some garages are less than 20 feet but 22 feet minimum preferred for lift
My garage is 20x20, and I have a BendPak double wide lift. Put the GT and NSX up top, and the two dailies underneath. Fit a small SUV (X1) underneath. I have just under 12' in height, Went with the double wide, so I only have 4 posts in the garage. If I had 8 (2 individual lifts), I know my wife would knock down a car/lift, at least 2x a week!! All good!!!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The jack screw (side mount) opener will get the door rails within a couple of inches of the ceiling. The door rides above the rails, so you need space for it. And you need to clear your light fixtures. You could recess them. I have $800 in my head for when D&D did mine six years ago. That may not be right, but it was certainly less than $1,000.

You have measurements in this thread. You need to match them up to your situation.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Keep in mind the garage door will take up about eight inches of clearance when open even after a high lift conversion.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Keep in mind the garage door will take up about eight inches of clearance when open even after a high lift conversion.

If push comes to shove, a 'roll up'-style garage door will totally eliminate that issue.

'Bit 'pricey' though. If I remember correctly, my 18 footer was just a touch under $10K installed.