Mclaren MP4 market

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
'Preciate the feedback. I've decided that the car(s) that will go to make room for the McLaren are my GT-R, my Hemi Jeep, and my SLK55 AMG. I'll keep the TT FGT (although I think I'll be looking to trade that for a non-TT version in the near future).

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
Thats's intereting Infantoryman. Why would you settle for a FGt with less power? I'm just looking for more and think the TT would be the top to reach with an FGT. Of course not only power but also better brakes, better suspension....
I drove a buddies one and really impressed how wild this thing is

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
Apparently I'm getting older! The TT FGT is undeniably an awesome car, and Shelby did a phenomenal job with this build (http://eliteautosllc.com/vehicle/ford-gt-twin-turbo-butterfly-doors/) --it's truly lust inspiring. But I'm facing the reality that I'm not likely to track the car (I'll play around with some Autocross with my other cars and have a ball with that, but don't really have a usuable high-speed track locally) and I'll probably never make it down to the Texas Mile to really run it (I live in Ohio, and that's a far piece!). The only "mile" event around here limits cars to something like 120mph unless the cars have all kinds of mods to them (roll cages, hans device, etc) that I do NOT want to put into the GT. So what the TT has, from my perspective, is an unbelievable well of basically unusable power that only gets tapped on on-ramps... and it's power that comes on so suddenly when the turbos spool up (which they do really quickly), that you go from reasonable acceleration to the rear tires breaking loose easily and almost instantly (and it happens really suddenly, even on warm pavement, in straight-on acceleration, at 60+mph in 2nd gear or 80+mph in 3rd gear), which tends to cause a near-laundry emergency in any passenger riding in the car. :)

My thought is that a supercharger build, perhaps with pulley tune, would give me more of the low-end, more usable, stoplight-to-stoplight fun that comprises about 98% of this car's occasional driving.

My car is also lowered, which looks awesome, but means you can't go anywhere there's a curb ramp or into any parking lot where there might be a speed bump. And even though I've never had a maintenance problem, because it's so low, driving it means constantly being aware that if anything DOES happen, there is no way (or no one locally that I know of, anyway) to recover the car without damaging the front undercarriage trying to get it up onto a bed. Even the low delivery trailer had to put down 2x8's to roll the car off into the street! Nor can you pull up into anyone's driveway without putting down 2x8's as tire ramps.

Lastly, since the car is a really beautiful black, it basically looks clean for exactly 15 minutes after it's been detailed. So I'm looking for a less punishing color.

Have I sold you yet? :)

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
Infantry
For all problems there are solutions
1) Accelaration : I'm sure they play with the turbo pressures
2) Wheels spinning : Get some good tires. I remember after the big whipple I had trouble to follow a stock FGT. She was getting crazy and impossible to get some good accelaration out of her. What really helped was a good KW suspension and real good tires. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is the best tire for me. In the wet - dry... best tire
3) Speed bumps : We got them over here as well and probably a little more than you have. My SLS & Fgt are extremely lowered and had the KW HLS installed last year. It's sufficient when approaching a bump to push the button and in no time she's raised.
http://www.kw-suspensions.eu/int/kw_hls.php have a look at it. It's fantastic.On the SLS it goes even further. I can tune the hardness of the suspension over my iphone :) a gadget you'll do a few times and than leave it in it's three pre-selected options.
Black color : Never heard of a car wrapping. Put her in any color you like. eg grass green and she'll never look dirty again.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
My SLS & Fgt are extremely lowered and had the KW HLS installed last year. It's sufficient when approaching a bump to push the button and in no time she's raised.
http://www.kw-suspensions.eu/int/kw_hls.php

You have installed KW's HLS on your FGT? Did you just do the front or all 4 wheels?

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
All four corners. It works perfectly. On the FGT it's actually an add on to the Variante 3 I already had installed a couple of years ago.