McIntosh audio connector

esco256

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2009
Hi,
I have to change my radio because the frequency are different in europa (only pair frequency!).
I already remove the McIntosh stereo and actually see a very strange connector (I don't know if it's specific to GT or Us standard connector:confused)

My New Stereo have two ways to connect speakers
1.An European ISO something like that
:Connector
iso.jpg

2. Some AV inputs like that too:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/images/avinputsdiagram.gif

So I think I have two way to resolve this.
1. I found something to convert this conector on ISO
2. I will connect directly the wires cuted directly before the connector on the rights Inputs. And then I need the wires plans to do it right!

Somebody can Help me about it I'm desesperate!!!

Thank you Ford GT forum users who save my life hundred times:thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Esco, there is an Electrical Service Manual (similar to the regular Service Manual) that has the pin-out pattern. I'm not home, so I can't copy it. You may want to look for some of the past threads about JVC units.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi esco256,

Don't worry, we'll help you out!

I have installed a few head units in place of the Mac unit and I can tell you that it may be hard to get a perfect sounding system using the Mac amp. In other words, if you are a picky audiophile kind of guy, you may also need to change the amp too. However, it may be best to try just the head unit at first and see if you are happy.

The OEM radio pre-amp out wires are the wires hard-wired into the radio and then they have a connector ~15cm away. With the radio out of the car, cut this wire about midway so that you "free" it from the MAC head unit.

Your first task is to put RCA male ends onto this short "pigtail" that you just cut off of the MAC. I suggest cutting the ends off of an existing RCA male audio cable and then carefully splicing these onto the pigtail. This is best done carefully with solder and heat shrink tubing. If you are not comfortable doing this, take the pigtail to someone who can do it for you. Once done, you will have the male RCA connectors on one end and the OEM connector on the other end. The entire length of this cable should be ~30-40cm just so you have plenty of room. When installing the new radio, plug the connector back in to the OEM location and then plug the male RCA connectors into the pre-amp (out) wires of your new radio.

Hook up power, and ground as depicted by the chart below.

Mac.JPG

Reactions: fjpikul

esco256

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2009
Thank you!
I think it's more clear, the amplifier makes the situation harder!
I understood all the first step, but I can't understand somethingwith this sentence: "plug the connector back in to the OEM location and then plug the male RCA connectors into the pre-amp"...
How can I put the connector back to oem location if: 1.The old MCintosh unit is already removed 2. The new units have differents slots for differents connector (ISO: see on the top):confused:confused.

You sais I'll lost in Sound Quality, but It still acceptable??

Thank you Nota4re:thumbsup

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I understood all the first step, but I can't understand somethingwith this sentence: "plug the connector back in to the OEM location and then plug the male RCA connectors into the pre-amp"...
How can I put the connector back to oem location if: 1.The old MCintosh unit is already removed 2. The new units have differents slots for differents connector (ISO: see on the top)

In removing the Mcintosh from the GT, you should recall that you disconnected the plug from the back of the radio but there was an additional wire coming out of Mcintosh (cannot be disconnected AT the Mac). If you trace this wire up with your hand (not easy!) you will find that it plugs in to another connector. You will disconnect the wire at this plug, thus allowing you to remove the radio.

Now, with the radio sitting on the bench you will have this funny wire about 15cm long dangling from the Mac and with a connector on the end of it.

This is the pre-amp output wires for the Mac that feed into the Mac amplifier.

What I advise you:

1. Cut this wire about half way.
2. Now, one end will have the OEM connector on it and the other end is cut
3. On the cut end, you need to splice in a short piece of wire with (2) RCA male connectors.
4. I recommend buying a cable with two RCA male connectors, and cut this cable and splice the two cables together
5. This new wire you are making needs to be ~30cm long, with the OEM connector on one end and (2) RCA males on the other end.
6. If you do not know how to do this, ask a stereo shop to do it for you. It is not hard.

With the cable made, plug the OEM connector back in to the same place you un-plugged it from. On your new stereo, plug the male RCA connectors into the pre-amp OUT wires.

Check to see if you have left and right correctly, otherwise simply reverse the RCA connections.

esco256

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2009
Sorry it looks like really easy but I can't understand Something
Summary: I have my to RCA so thats's ok, But you told me about plug the connector on the same place that I unplegged it from... That's place is on the McIntosh stereo wich is changed for the Other stereo unit...
On this Stereo unit I don't have the same connector (I have an Iso standard connector).
I think I'll really need an adapter or maybe I just understand nothing!!!

Please help me!:willy:willy