GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I will take 50 please.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Good to know (good thing I had a dictionary handy so I could decipher your explanation) :eek

You are correct, the pic I provided shows a chrome plated screw (which I did NOT purchase). My attempt was to display the hex button head.

I do NOT want the Torx button head screws. It is my opinion that they are far to easy to strip. The ones I pulled off of my gal were already stripping and showing a bit of rust (I am at the water in SoCal). I do wash my car (comments from the Peanut Gallery (Chris and Sam) are not necessary).

That being said, I would like to follow your recommendations...but with a hex button head. Is that possible?

Sure it is possible, but just like the torx head I doubt it is available.
Kingman, (respectfully:thumbsup) I think you, or someone who has worked on your gal, may have used a T25 instead of a T27 torx bit if they were stripping. They will both work, but the smaller T25 could lead to stripping or cam-out. Afterall, the torx head is a hexalobular shape, which basically means that it is a hex socket shape with tri-angles instead of flats. Therefore, there is more surface area of the screw in contact with the tool. Which is good, because it is all about surface area.:biggrin A hex socket will always fail before a torx, a phillips will always fail before a hex, and a slot will always fail before a phillips.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Stripping likely occurs because the mechanic tried to use a power tool. My mechanic told me that the Ford school for the GT certification insisted that only hand tools be used because of all the aluminum threading. Makes sense to me, too.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Sure itA hex socket will always fail before a torx, a phillips will always fail before a hex, and a slot will always fail before a phillips.

:thumbsup

Yes, assuming they are made of the same materials and dimensions.

I break them loose by using hand tools and torque them by hand tools, but spin them on and off with a WEAK power screw driver set to the lowest torque setting. Using a power drill, or air tools is asking for trouble.

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
If it's not too late, I'll take 100.

getbit

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 15, 2006
Austin, Texas
I'm in for 50

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
In for 100.................even if they are Torx :lol

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Please add my name for 50. Thanks.

Howard

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I'd like 50

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
i"m in for 100 / OEM Lenght & Look

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
Cool. We're at 2500 already. At that price I want to up my order from 50 to 100.

Thanks for doing this,

Craig

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
OK

put me down for 100 - timing is not good as this Friday, we're about to perform our first oil change, and it sounds like I'll be cursing the screws as they strip and/or get lost! However, on the assumption that I F-U say 10% of the screws at each future oil change, that means 100/ approx 5 = 20 changes = 100,000 miles before I run out!

On a completely unrelated topic, even tho' I drive a BLUE car, the black website option totally rocks!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Fenzo - 50 please for me.....

~2,650 as of here.................................

BTW - when taking out the 38 screws I typically mung up 1 or 2.... over the five time I've had the pans down thats a max of 10/380 or 2.6% loss.....

... soTexas Mongrel - if you are careful you have enough screws for 200,000 miles! :thumbsup

Last edited:

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
given that my daughter is home from college for the summer and is driving my Range rover, thus making the GT my 'daily driver' I could rack that up within 15 years!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
In for 50 please. Thanks!

paulo5656

GT Owner
Feb 18, 2006
I will take 100.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I'll take 50. What about the longer screws along the rocker panels and the silver screws holding the fuel tank cover?

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
I would like to purchase 100 screws.

cedarstang

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Put me in for 50 Thanks

Discovered one of my belly pans was missing a screw, looked at the price from Ford ($6.48 ea, HB1 fordparts.com) and figured I could do better, especially since these screws are used all over the car.

I've solicited a few quotes from machine screw manufacturers (US companies only, US steel), of those I found a med-small screw manufacturer in Illinois was the best match for quality/price.

There is a 1000 piece minimum with the price starting at $1.60 per screw, decreasing to $0.25 per for 10,000 screws with intermediate $/qty amounts as needed (eg $0.70 per for 2500). Does not include shipping/packaging so the final price will be a few cents more. Lead time is 6 - 8 weeks.

I'll suggest a 50 screw minimum (in increments of 50 thereafter) for anyone that is interested - I'm not making a profit and don't want to send a handfull of screws to a bunch of folks. Please respond to this post if interested.

Details of the screw:
6M x 1.0 x 25mm
Torx T-27
button head 10.3mm OD, 3.3mm thk
SEMS flat washer 16.5mm OD, 1mm thk
black oxide finish
class 9.8 hardening - I don't know the specs of the Ford screw, but this is likely much harder as the typical application is mild steel, or class 4.6. I specified this hardness so that the Torx head will withstand several R&Rs without wear.

UPDATE – 22 June, 10:40am:
Thanks for all of the input, we have met the minimum qty. I’m sending the company (in Glendale Heights, IL) an example screw today to follow the specs/photos I previously sent to verify that they can reproduce an exact match. I’ll let this post run through this weekend, depending on increasing/decreasing interest, before I finalize the order for the OE size screws. Obviously the more we order the less it will cost.

When I get the final cost (shipped to me), I’ll divide by the number of screws for a per screw price, then add $8 for me to ship to you. So an example price might be:
($1.60/screw x 1300 screws + $50 (my guess for them to ship to me))/1300 x 50 or 100 +$8
= $89.93 for an order of 50
= $171.85 for an order of 100

If we make it to 2500 screws, the cost would be around:
$43.50 for an order of 50
$79.00 for an order of 100

When I receive confirmation from the company, with shipped price, I’ll request on this post for each of you to send me an e-mail (not PM) with your mailing address and to request payment. My email address can be found in my profile, which is also my paypal email. Just indicate in the email if you don’t paypal and I’ll respond with my mailing address so you can send a check or money order.

So far I have:
FENZO 100
Fubar 100
06fordgt 50
2112 50
jaxgt 50
Midnite Blu 50
GTJack 50
Craig 50
fjpikul 100
DRIVEBY 50
DWR46 50