loose marbles in door sill

Jsonday

Aug 2, 2022
my 2017 passenger door has rattles (like marbles) in the bottom of the door. Anyone else have that?

John

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sounds like you need the torsion bar fix. More like a clicking noise.

Jsonday

Aug 2, 2022
Not a clicking noise, actual movement of something back and forth when the door opens and closes. or when accelerating or breaking.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Perhaps Italian Joe will chime in here.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I know yours ia a 2017, but my 2005 also has that sound of something loose rattling around in the bottom of the door. It's noticeable when I close the door with enough force to make it latch. It sounds like a plastic guide for the door release mechanism that came unglued from the inside of the door and fell down in the bottom of it, and rattles when I slam it. I had a similar sound in a door on another vehicle I owned, and that's what it turned out to be.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It may just be rocks and road debris in the belly pans. I would drop them and clean it up. Also clean out the aero ducts in the lower front fender/door.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Likelihood of this sort of noise increases a lot if you've fitted aero screens, that trap an amazing amount of crap in the belly pans causing all kinds of rattles. I took mine off after a few weeks because I got tired of having to constantly 'de-rock' the car

ScottK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Not a clicking noise, actual movement of something back and forth when the door opens and closes. or when accelerating or breaking.

Had the same symptoms in my 2020. Sounded just like a couple of marbles but turned out to be an extra screw.

We (Italian Joe mostly) removed the armrest and speaker to get access. Using a magnet, we determined something metal was in the door cavity that wasn’t supposed to be there. It had wedged itself tightly in the front of the door and we couldn’t get it out with a magnet. I wound up designing a super slick extraction tool (which I donated to Joe’s specialty tool collection). Joe then identified where the screw was supposed to be and confirmed that it was indeed an extra. Quick reassembly and all good.

I haven’t tested this so just a theory…. An initial diagnostic approach could be to slide a strong magnet on the under side of the door panel and see if it attracts something on the inside.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

88078A43-5F67-46F3-97E9-001C9A579DE4.jpeg

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Reminds me of an old story (True or not) about an assembly line worker whose job was welding in a panel that boxed in an area of the car in the trunk. Buyer had a rattle in the rear of the car that they just couldn't identify. It was finally isolated to that boxed in area. They had to cut a whole in the area to gain access. When they got in there, they found a large bolt with a note wrapped around it that said "noisy ain't it"?

Reactions: SYCO GT

06 fgt

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2022
arnold mo
in the 70,s some plymouth cars had coke bottle tied by the neck from new in the doors bouncing around

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Mine does too. It’s had that since new. It sounds to me like maybe some pieces of carbon fiber from when the doors were made could have come loose. I actually forgot about it until you brought it up.

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
I know yours ia a 2017, but my 2005 also has that sound of something loose rattling around in the bottom of the door. It's noticeable when I close the door with enough force to make it latch. It sounds like a plastic guide for the door release mechanism that came unglued from the inside of the door and fell down in the bottom of it, and rattles when I slam it. I had a similar sound in a door on another vehicle I owned, and that's what it turned out to be.

My O6 also had a noise that sounded like something loose rattling when you closed the door hard. I removed the door panel to find the rattle, and found it was the flaps in the air equalizer vent in the door. There was nothing wrong with the flaps/vent, it just makes a little noise when the flaps open/close hard. I assume this vent has the same purpose as the window slightly opening when using the door(allow air pressure release when closing door). Anyway, if it only does when closing the door, I suspect it may be the same thing, and something I considered normal after finding the cause.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
69b302: Thanks for that suggestion, I'll check it out and report back on the 2005-06 Tech thread.

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
my 2017 passenger door has rattles (like marbles) in the bottom of the door. Anyone else have that?

John
Hello John ,
As Scottk mentioned he did have an extra screw in passenger door but in your case I would think that a screw or nut came off and is rattling around in the door. My suggestion would be to remove the arm rest and access panel and look to see if there is something on the bottom. Once you do find it post it on here or if you like text me a picture and I can help identify where it belongs. And if you need to borrow my special tool that scott made me I would be happy to lend it to you. Thanks Scottk for that tool comes in handy....

Joe

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Picture of the "special tool" would be appreciated. Thanks

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Picture of the "special tool" would be appreciated. Thanks
Hello Nafod,
If you look at the picture Scottk posted it has the "special tool" in it. It's just a piece of wire with a bend at the end.

Joe

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Looked like a coat hanger.

Reactions: italianjoe

ScottK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Hello Nafod,
If you look at the picture Scottk posted it has the "special tool" in it. It's just a piece of wire with a bend at the end.
Looked like a coat hanger.
Yup. A blue one at that. That was the special part…

Reactions: italianjoe

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I wrote this up when I removed the mirrors for PPF.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Hello Nafod,

Joe
Thanks Joe,

Didn't know if that was also something found while fishing..