Loose door molding

phoenix

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2005
Cartersville, Georgia
Has anyone had the door molding piece, get loose? This is the silver piece that is about 3 feet long and a foot wide & the same on both doors. I had a problem within the door when I first got the car, and Ford removed that molding and it never was secured back correct - and was loose and once fell out when I was opening the door and got slightly damaged. I tried to buy a new one and Ford is very proud of these units - they wanted over 600 bucks for one. Since it was only a slight scratch, we had someone in our shop here fix it and reinstall it on the car. Not sure how Ford secures these moldings - glue?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Has anyone had the door molding piece, get loose? This is the silver piece that is about 3 feet long and a foot wide & the same on both doors. I had a problem within the door when I first got the car, and Ford removed that molding and it never was secured back correct - and was loose and once fell out when I was opening the door and got slightly damaged. I tried to buy a new one and Ford is very proud of these units - they wanted over 600 bucks for one. Since it was only a slight scratch, we had someone in our shop here fix it and reinstall it on the car. Not sure how Ford secures these moldings - glue?

I think you are talking about the rectangular door trim rings. The originals were held on by double sided tape. A trick I learned from the GT guys is to forget the tape and use a thin bead of silicone to hold them in place. Silicone is not affected by heat cycles like the tape is..

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Boy now I know Im old:biggrin old posts....1st pair to fall off when the temps heated up.....If your chariot is 05 into early 06 there held on with double stick 3m tape, yep tape, anywho if your under warranty they will replace them with the replacement frame with the clip and screw. Out of warranty , pull them off gentle alcohol the door panel and use stronger 3m or schmootze the door with sealer , it all works...good luck .gtjoey:thumbsup