Looking for halfshaft

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Anyone have a halfshaft for sale? Need one for a car that suffered an axle bolt failure and subsequently beat the s$&T out of the halfshaft. OEM is great but if anyone knows of someone making an aftermarket one, that might work too. Allegedly Ford is out of stock with no ETA.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey

Reactions: Kpgarage

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Nota4re, can you please let us know what solution you end up going with?

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
hSome one was making 1/2 shafts that we double the factory rating. Maybe a search

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
What size is the large nut?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
05 Ford book says axle torque is 369 ft lbs. AllData says 295 ft lbs. 06 Ford book says 258 ft lbs "pick a number, any number"
05 Ford book says brake hat to hub screws on front are 20 ft lbs and rear are 7 ft lbs. They're the same setup. AllData says 20 ft lbs front and rear.
05 Ford book and AllData agree on all brake calipers at 74 ft lbs and E brake calipers at 52 ft lbs
05 Ford book says 98 and ??? (it shows a higher number on another page)for lug nuts. AllData says 98 ft lbs
Just putting this up for future reference

Last edited:
Reactions: analogdesigner

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
"Just tighten it by feel..."

Just joking. On these parts I'd want the right torque.

Reactions: GT@50

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
"Just tighten it by feel..."

Just joking. On these parts I'd want the right torque.
I'm 160# standing on the end of a 2.5" breaker bar which should give me 400 ft lbs minus torque absorbed by flex (flex=x times y - banana) equals 369#'s.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Close enough!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We were able to put eyes on the car with the "failed half-shaft" for the first time yesterday evening. A very curious failure.... The outer 6 bolts that secure the half-shaft to the flange on the transaxle failed. The first inspection looks like the bolts sheared off. I'm not sure yet if this was caused by the bolts becoming loose first or if the bolts were tightened (stretched) beyond spec at installation and ultimately failed.

The car does have the Ford axle bolt upgrade kit which does come with these brand new perimeter (outer) bolts - which I assume were installed as they are identical to the OEM bolts and they are all TTY. I really suspect that this was an installation issue and it is the first time we have seen such a failure. The real scary part is that unlike the flange to transaxle axle bolt failure, this failure did not require suspension articulation (driveway ingress/egress) for failure. This one let go at ~40mph or so!

We'll bring the car into our shop when we get some parts and we'll have a better inspection - including a look at the other side which was likely installed by the same person. More info when we have it..... In the interim, know that torque specs are not a game especially when dealing with critical driveline components.

Reactions: 2112 and GT@50

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
On a 200mph car!
In the interim, know that torque specs are not a game especially when dealing with critical driveline components.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kendall: Please post pics of the failed parts too.