Looking for a track car.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Hi all. I am on the hunt for a track car. I'm looking for a well sorted/maintained car with no wrecks. I'm after a 17 Ford FP350s or a 13/14 Ford Boss 302s (I Know about the one on Bring a Trailer). Would love to have a Mustang GT4 (know about the one on Racing Junk) but that might be a bit out of my budget and the NFGT MKII is waaaaaayyyyyyy out of my budget unless someone wants to sell me one for sub $300k :ROFLMAO:

Was even considering a Gen 3 (2015 - 2019 SR3X) Radical. Yeah, I know, completely different cars but I bleed Ford Blue and the Radical just speaks to me.

I'd really like to talk to a fellow forum member or someone who might have a contact for a car that would fit the bill.

Thanks all.

QSS

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I think the BAC MONO looks like a great track machine. I like attractive cars in addition to capable cars.

maybe it could be powered by a Focus RS engine ?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Talk to @Indy GT he can shed some light on B302 racecars, and also if appropriate he can give you a contact that is even more into it. This connection got a friend of mine the 302R he was looking for.

If you really want to learn to race, perhaps consider a lower HP slower car to really learn the craft before "going bigger". You can even rent them, and simply "arrive and drive", eliminating the need for a transporter etc. Look into SCCA clases like Miata, or Specracer. I know a LOT about Specracer as I have has one since 1993. Specracers have Ford engines.

Reactions: GKW05GT

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Check out Kohr Motorsports. I think they sell cars from time to time.

Also, Billy Johnson (essentially Ford factory driver), who is a Forum member might have some good insight and contacts.

Steve Poe used to build Mustangs to spec. I dont know if he's still doing that.

You can also check out NASA American Iron cars. You could probably find a well sorted car for around $30-$50k. Ron McCall (@Pantera1889) might still have one for sale.

Reactions: GTMD

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I own a Mustang GT4. LOVE IT!

Here is a link to a few Mustangs for sale.

F9E68FDC-C498-40DF-96E6-7ABCD24AAAA6.jpeg

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Im going to see a car listed by the seller of the Grabber Blue 302S car in Tampa on Monday if you need any eyes put on it?

David

mach1pannu

GT Owner
Nov 17, 2019
If Porsche is an option, the GT3 and GT4 are excellent. The Benz AMG GTR is super as well...Otherwise, I would do the GT350.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Im going to see a car listed by the seller of the Grabber Blue 302S car in Tampa on Monday if you need any eyes put on it?

David
Yes please. I would very much like to get your feedback on that car. Are you going to look for someone or for yourself? I would be interested in that car unless of course you are after it or if there's gonna be a line of bidders.

QSS

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
If Porsche is an option, the GT3 and GT4 are excellent. The Benz AMG GTR is super as well...Otherwise, I would do the GT350.
I was considering a GT3 for a good long time but I feel I'm looking for something a bit more raw and the Boss 302s/r or the FP350s really speak to that rawness as well as my Ford Blue blood. I thing a AMG GTR is an amazing car but I need something way more raw and stripped down then that.

QSS

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I own a Mustang GT4. LOVE IT!

Here is a link to a few Mustangs for sale.

View attachment 65033
Yup, I've been looking at all those GT4's on Racing Junk. The would be in my budget and the the GT4 is high on my "want not need" list but I figure that I should keep my first dedicated track car to sub $100k until I am not so damn green out there on the track. I can only imagine how awesome the GT4 is.

QSS

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Check out Kohr Motorsports. I think they sell cars from time to time.

Also, Billy Johnson (essentially Ford factory driver), who is a Forum member might have some good insight and contacts.

Steve Poe used to build Mustangs to spec. I dont know if he's still doing that.

You can also check out NASA American Iron cars. You could probably find a well sorted car for around $30-$50k. Ron McCall (@Pantera1889) might still have one for sale.
Thanks for the tips, I do appreciate it.

QSS

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Talk to @Indy GT he can shed some light on B302 racecars, and also if appropriate he can give you a contact that is even more into it. This connection got a friend of mine the 302R he was looking for.

If you really want to learn to race, perhaps consider a lower HP slower car to really learn the craft before "going bigger". You can even rent them, and simply "arrive and drive", eliminating the need for a transporter etc. Look into SCCA clases like Miata, or Specracer. I know a LOT about Specracer as I have has one since 1993. Specracers have Ford engines.
I was looking at spec Miata's for a while but I kept coming back to Ford products or the Radical as I mentioned. I don't think I'm really shooting for the big stuff but I feel I'm going for somewhere in the middle. I've got a huge learning curve ahead of me and I realize that. I've been through this sort of thing in another hobby of mine (paragliding acrobatics) that lasted for a decade so I feel I know that high's, lows and the learning curve that goes along with it all. I'm just super stoked that I now have the time (kids are almost gone), the passion (been a car guy since I was a snot nosed kid) and the funds (30 years putting in time) to pursue this. Track cars and all that goes along with it are just a tad more expensive then my last passion/hobby yet, just as engaging and exciting.

QSS

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I think the BAC MONO looks like a great track machine. I like attractive cars in addition to capable cars.

maybe it could be powered by a Focus RS engine ?

I am not familiar with BAC Mono but I'll get educated with them. They look interesting.

QSS

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am not familiar with BAC Mono but I'll get educated with them. They look interesting.

QSS

Reader’s digest version of research ^^^

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You did not mention that you have looked at SRF (meets your criteria of a Ford product), there are over 900 of them that have been built, so even if you go to the smallest race weekend there are usually 10-15 of them to race with. Largest field I raced in was 98 at Sebring. Cars are a tube frame, very large foot well, and stout side structure. They are very strong, making things as safe as possible. Also they are a great value to race. Tires are good for ~12 heat cycles (track dependent), brakes last a long time too. Great car to learn in and move on, or never leave as the completion is fierce, like Miata. We have 2 of them, Im retiring, and our boys will take over. If you get fast in one of these, you will be fast in anything.

I was looking at spec Miata's for a while but I kept coming back to Ford products

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
You did not mention that you have looked at SRF (meets your criteria of a Ford product), there are over 900 of them that have been built, so even if you go to the smallest race weekend there are usually 10-15 of them to race with. Largest field I raced in was 98 at Sebring. Cars are a tube frame, very large foot well, and stout side structure. They are very strong, making things as safe as possible. Also they are a great value to race. Tires are good for ~12 heat cycles (track dependent), brakes last a long time too. Great car to learn in and move on, or never leave as the completion is fierce, like Miata. We have 2 of them, Im retiring, and our boys will take over. If you get fast in one of these, you will be fast in anything.

SRF you say. I am not familiar with the SRF but I'm sure that statement alone shows how green I am. I will start getting educated on these cars as well, hey do fit my criteria. Thanks for your input, that is the reason I started this thread. I require more education on the subject and I know there many track junkies on this form who will help with my education. I do appreciate that.

QSS

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
You might also want to check out a Panoz GTS. Purpose-built, tube frame race car with a 351W engine as standard. You can find them used for $25k-$30k.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
So I feel like Im beating a dead horse, but, another detail to emphasize, again, is there is a nation wide "dealer" network called CSR's (customer service reps). Each of these have rental cars. So for a few grand, you can get into a car for a weekend. There is not any burden of buying (you will need to invest in a helmet, hans, suit etc). Sound like you are going to need to get your self into a school (1st step to getting your SCCA license), and go from there. There are a lot of schools that are SCCA sanctioned. Good luck with your research, and hopefully you can get on track soon.

SRF you say. I am not familiar with the SRF but I'm sure that statement alone shows how green I am. I will start getting educated on these cars as well, hey do fit my criteria. Thanks for your input, that is the reason I started this thread. I require more education on the subject and I know there many track junkies on this form who will help with my education. I do appreciate that.

Reactions: 2112
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
So I feel like Im beating a dead horse, but, another detail to emphasize, again, is there is a nation wide "dealer" network called CSR's (customer service reps). Each of these have rental cars. So for a few grand, you can get into a car for a weekend. There is not any burden of buying (you will need to invest in a helmet, hans, suit etc). Sound like you are going to need to get your self into a school (1st step to getting your SCCA license), and go from there. There are a lot of schools that are SCCA sanctioned. Good luck with your research, and hopefully you can get on track soon.

I don't think you are beating a dead horse at all. I did not know about CSR so I think it's a good option to look into. Definitely going to get a SCCA license at some point but it will probably be a couple of years of school and simple track days before I take the next steps. I've got allot of learning but I also dive right into this sort of thing so buying a track car is part of my commitment but I do like the CSR idea so I'll investigate that first.

Thanks for your "dead horse" beating :)

QSS

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Many high performance driving schools offer a class with a regional SCCA card. I got paperwork each time for my Bondurant classes. I never followed through because I was required to get a physical with a doctor that did them. Come to find out much later after talking with him at the Shelby American Collection party that my doc in Colorado did them (he raced Porsches) and also flight physicals [I knew that] but I never intended on going on an open track anyway.

I believe Bondurant school still operates (but with Mopars). The official Corvette school (Ron Fellows) is at the Spring Mountain track in Pahrump - they have a SCCA class. Similarly, the Ford school may offer one.