Looking for a low mileage GT

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Bringatrailer has tons of great deals now with market trending down. Only problem is you are buying it sight unseen and it is realistically impossible to go check out a car that is few states away without a guarantee of being able to purchase it.

Reactions: dshears

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
BaT takes an engaged seller with the ability to separate the chaff from the wheat.

Definitely worth it, but maybe not what some sellers are interested in doing.
They also have to accept the vehicle, and setting an agreeable reserve price is a part of that. Plus there's the involvement of taking hundreds of photos and responding to prospective buyer inquiries--no small thing if you're already busy. Still, hard to beat the $5,000 commission cap!

Regarding the auctions themselves, it used to be that they were the ones who had the ability to market the vehicle widely and reach the qualified buyers. And they do have subject matter experts that weigh in on provenance and originality, etc. Paying for all of that takes money, which the participants pay in the form of buyer's and seller's premiums.

The internet has changed much of that. Now, distribution is free, and in the case of the BaT model, the engaged buyer / commentator universe effectively produces an expert network that can help with assessing condition, originality, etc. As for Drilling's comment that it is not realistically possible to check out a car that is a few states away, I would submit that it's not so different from an auction a few states away. You either go to see the car (or artwork, or whatever), or you have a nominee go see it for you.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
They also have to accept the vehicle, and setting an agreeable reserve price is a part of that. Plus there's the involvement of taking hundreds of photos and responding to prospective buyer inquiries--no small thing if you're already busy. Still, hard to beat the $5,000 commission cap!

Regarding the auctions themselves, it used to be that they were the ones who had the ability to market the vehicle widely and reach the qualified buyers. And they do have subject matter experts that weigh in on provenance and originality, etc. Paying for all of that takes money, which the participants pay in the form of buyer's and seller's premiums.

The internet has changed much of that. Now, distribution is free, and in the case of the BaT model, the engaged buyer / commentator universe effectively produces an expert network that can help with assessing condition, originality, etc. As for Drilling's comment that it is not realistically possible to check out a car that is a few states away, I would submit that it's not so different from an auction a few states away. You either go to see the car (or artwork, or whatever), or you have a nominee go see it for you.

Agree, reading

Internet really changed the scene of commerce. Less arbitrage to take advantage of for dealers or those with connections.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Love my QSilver with billet A-arms.
Yes and yes.

Reactions: HNS

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Do not be discouraged as it takes time to find the GT that meets your requirements. It took me 6 months.

Reactions: drilling

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Do not be discouraged as it takes time to find the GT that meets your requirements. It took me 6 months.
Its hard. Very hard to find a good car.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Yes, I'd say a huge disparity in fees for traditional auction house versus online website auctions.

For Bring-A-Trailer, what precautions, if any, are the majority of sellers taking with respect to securing payment / funds?

Are escrows used?

Or more commonly, is it essentially, require a wiring of funds, confirmation received, and then release vehicle and title?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Its hard. Very hard to find a good car.
No, it's not hard to find a good car. It's hard to find a good car at a relatively low price. What's your time worth?

Reactions: drilling

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Auctions make me nervous. When spending this kind of money without a quality inspection prior is more risk than I want to take! Unless you get an incredible deal with knowing you may break even after fixing all the potential problems, I am not interested. I heard too many disaster stories!
That said I do enjoy going to Scottsdale BJ week. Biggest car show there is!!

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, I'd say a huge disparity in fees for traditional auction house versus online website auctions.

For Bring-A-Trailer, what precautions, if any, are the majority of sellers taking with respect to securing payment / funds?

Are escrows used?

Or more commonly, is it essentially, require a wiring of funds, confirmation received, and then release vehicle and title?
I have done it previously. Checked the car out after winning, wired fund and transferred title.

wmjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I've had very good experience selling on BAT ($170k). Money is wired before release of title and car. I've bought several cars at "in person" auctions, but a LOT of due diligence is needed. And you can't test drive to check everything else out, but good for rare, hard to find cars. I'm too scared to sell at these auctions as I've heard too many stories - especially no reserve.

Reactions: GKW05GT

Newgt

Mar 14, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Not sure if this one counts:

Bringatrailer has tons of great deals now with market trending down. Only problem is you are buying it sight unseen and it is realistically impossible to go check out a car that is few states away without a guarantee of being able to purchase it.
Actually, it's not so difficult to see a car being sold on BaT. Cars are up for a week or longer, just be prepared to immediately contact seller to arrange a drive etc, then buy a ticket and fly to see and drive it. I had good luck doing that when I bought my TVR. It came up for sale, I contacted the seller, who helped me select overnight lodging, and I then bought a RT ticket to see and drive the car. Of course the car has to be worth it to you to invest the cost (time, money) of doing that. If you really want it and/or it's a rare vehicle, you can out bid anyone else. The big problem getting to drive it is the weather, esp in winter, but if it's in a warmer location, season isn't so important.

Reactions: TACHY

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Barrett Jackson Update

2005 Red Four Option 398 Miles

Hammer 450k
Sales 495k
Seller Take Home 414k

2005 Black Stripe Delete 3100 miles

Hammer 410k
Sales 451k
Seller Take Home 377k

2006 Tungsten Four Options 1100 miles

Hammer 390k
Sale 429k
Seller Take Home 358k

Red car sold higher than expected.
Black and Tungsten sold way less than expected. Again, you lose too much money after sellers fee.

Reactions: Chris A.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Barrett Jackson Update

2005 Red Four Option 398 Miles

Hammer 450k
Sales 495k
Seller Take Home 414k

2005 Black Stripe Delete 3100 miles

Hammer 410k
Sales 451k
Seller Take Home 377k

2006 Tungsten Four Options 1100 miles

Hammer 390k
Sale 429k
Seller Take Home 358k

Red car sold higher than expected.
Black and Tungsten sold way less than expected. Again, you lose too much money after sellers fee.

Heritage lot #1397 hammer 540K. Buyer pays +10%, seller leaves 8% (no calculator handy)

2020 NGT lot #1390 went for 1.2M

The next lot, 1369 - 1969 Mustang Boss 429 went for 550K!!! I wonder what the 05-06 will be going for when they are 54 years old.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Again, you lose too much money after sellers fee.

$81,000 for the house on the red car

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The NGT held top price until the Carrera GT came up and sold for 1.45M.

Then the F40 came and blew them all out of the water for 2.75M

pacettr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 2, 2013
Mustang, OK

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yellow lot #1416 with 16 miles, 525K

2019 NGT Lot 1419, 1.2M

Last edited:

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I dont get these auctions. Both buyers and sellers get screwed lol.