"Long" The removal of the OEM muffler w/o removing the clamshell

Aug 25, 2006
Well I am here to say that the post made by another member last week stating that the OEM muffler could be removed “without” removing the clamshell is completely true.

I was skeptical as to what exactly was involved and attempted to garner as much information from his post as possible; I even went so far as to PM him for better details and never heard a response so I said …. "what the heck lets try it".

Because the notes were not clear (at least not to me) it took me a bit longer and add to this my gal still has never been on the road so I remained anal to a fault protecting everything from the slightest possibility of a scratch.

BTW; I installed one of Ford Racing's transaxle coolers at the same time; this was a piece of cake, no installation issues at all.

Now back to the removal of the OEM muffler in preparation of the AccuFab exhaust installation.

FYI; I did not remove the bellows from the supercharger; only the air box.

Now the process of removing the OEM muffler begins;

I removed several of the lower belly pan Torx #27, as I recall the earlier post stated eight whereas I removed ten (all the same length) which in fact gave me reasonable access to the twelve 10mm (all of which are the same length) bolts that secure the lower half of the screen; this which resides under the muffler tips and is approximately 3 feet long. Once the bolts are removed it comes out very easy. Then I removed the six 13mm nuts that secure the OEM muffler to the up sweep portion of the cats; again no issues. Then I removed the twelve 8mm headed bolts each with a 13mm nut and one 13mm nut that secure the OEM muffler bracket into place and together as an assembly. In order to get the cross brace out it needs to have all of the hardware removed and then everything slides out without any issues. Once the panel was removed I reinstalled (temporarily) two of the under body panel Torx just to keep it from needlessly hanging down.

It was at this point that I spent the time to wrap fricken everything; I placed blankets over the areas (basically the entire engine bay not knowing what I was in for) that I thought might become the candidate for the muffler to temporarily reside on or touch during the removal process as I prepared to methodically remove it and then I also used blue painters tape (several layers) on any exposed painted surface in the exit path, this included the heat shields along the frame rails so not a mar would be created. I even wrapped the top and ends of the OEM muffler with a towel so there was no chance of contact with the rear body section or the clamshell.

Now I should say that all of this is being done in my facility however I have no warm bodies for assistance; in fact by this time it is approaching the witching hour furthermore my goal is to see whether this can be a loss risk one person job.

My next step was to move the shift lever; first you push it straight down and then forward. Now I crawled under the gal and slowly lifted one corner of the OEM muffler carefully observing what was happening it was during this time that the studs popped out of the flange holes so the muffler was free. After numerous careful attempts and each time recognizing that there was in fact a clearance issue with the transaxle I elected to call this day a wrap and approach it again when I was fresh.

In the morning I assessed the situation and realized that one of two things would have to happen; either the transaxle would have to be lowered which was going to be difficult because I did not place her on blocks or on the 4 post lift for that matter but rather this entire process was done with her completely on the ground so my ability to reach the remaining under body panel bolts was nil. As such I revisited the notes from the earlier poster. He shared that he had to remove the upper screen; meaning the mess that is located above the muffler tips and is approximately 2 feet long. Before removing this panel I placed some painters tape on the side of the frame rail extensions to make certain that once again no cosmetic damage would be caused. This panel is secured into place with 2 small Phillip head screws located just above the exhaust tips that are easy to remove with a small 90 degree screwdriver in my case I have a small 90 ratcheting style regardless fix or ratchet head would work fine. Then there are two Tork #27 one at each outer corner of the panel next to the heat shield. The use of a 6” extension on a 3/8 ratchet allowed these to be removed very easy. Once all 4 fasteners have been removed it will rest on the exhaust tips and then it can be slid out in-between the bumper and the body from on top with absolutely no issues. I then, just for safe measure placed a strip of painters tape along the painted body edge that this panel mates to. I also wrapped the exhaust tips with a shop rag and tapped them in place and tucked the end into the tips. I also removed the plastic black trim that surrounds the OEM exhaust tips. Now I do not know that this was necessary however it is simple to remove and gave me piece of mind. To remove it there are two small Phillip screws immediately above the OEM exhaust tips that require the use of the 90 degree Phillips again and then at the back side (meaning towards the front of the gal) there are two holes within each is a small Phillip screw that is easy to remove with a short Phillip screw driver. Once removed the surround pops out easy.

Now I was ready to try again so under the gal I crawled and rather than lifting one corner and then the other I simply lifted the OEM muffler and let her roll slightly so as when the OEM muffler is coming out (meaning being lifted and pushed towards the front of the gal) the exhaust tips are rotating at a downward angle; maybe 45 degrees or so (this happens naturally as a by product of the process) and then to my wonderful surprise the OEM muffler slide out and was able to be blindly set on the center perch that the OEM air box resides. There was no resistance during this process “HOWEVER” the OEM exhaust tips did in fact slide up next to the body panel where I placed the painters tapes and then add to this the rags that were wrapped around the tips made this a painless no concern situation. Once I had pushed the muffler up and forward it seemed to find a natural place to rest; keep in mind that I am under the gal so there are no eyes above however I was comfortable because I had wrapped and covered “everything”. While still under her I maintained control of the muffler and shook it around to make certain that as I crawled out it was not going to come sliding down and there were truly no concerns.

Now that the muffler was in fact out all I needed to do was grab it and “wholla” I would be done.

I took a couple more of the moving style blankets that we use to protect fenders etc and completely covered the supercharger, the frame down tubes etc with a double layer. and then methodically sat myself on the supercharger (no concerns with this I assure you) and then simply grabbed both ends of the OEM muffler and brought it up to the area of my lap. Then once confident it was stable I methodically got off the gal and simply lifted the OEM muffler out and placed it on the ground.

Aaaah… that was the long story.

Here is the short version that may make the process clearer besides this could be printed and used as a step by step.

Yes you can remove the OEM muffler as a one person job with the gal sitting completely on the ground in a few hours “WITHOUT” removing the clamshell and without lowering the transaxle.

“These steps in the short version “DO NOT” include the recommended wrapping with blankets and or towels and the use of painters tape on everything in the OEM mufflers removal path so that no cosmetic damage is caused. I went into detail with this in the long version above.

1. Remove the OEM air box; it is not necessary to remove the bellows portion; keep it simple. Remove the one OEM electrical plug, loosen the stainless steel worn clamp, the two 10mm bolts (one at each end of the box) and then simply pop it out

2. Move the shifter arm by pushing straight down approximately 1/2:” and then pull/swing the arm towards the front of the gal

3. Remove the ten #27 Torx that secure the rear portion of the under body panel in place. “DO NOT” remove the three located in-between the air fins at the immediate rear center. They do not have any securing value at all; they are apart of a stiffening brace.

4. Remove the lower mess grill by removing the twelve 10mm bolts (as stated earlier it is likely that a few of the panel clips will fall out so keep track of them for use when installation commences; this is nothing to be concerned with as they will go right back into place however I would suggest that they be pinched a bit before installing them so they remain in place during the installation process)

5. Remove the six 13mm nuts that secure the muffler to the cat up pipe

6. Remove the twelve 8mm bolts each has a 13mm nut on them and one 13mm nut on the OEM muffler securing bracket assembly and then remove the three bracket pieces

7. Remove the mesh grill located above the OEM exhaust tip by using a 90 degree Phillip screw driver to remove the two small Phillip screws located above the OEM exhaust tips and then remove the two Torx #27 one located at each end of the panel. Once removed the panel will come out from above in-between the body and the bumper.

8. Remove the black plastic trim piece that surrounds the OEM exhaust tips by removing the two small Phillip screws visible above the OEM exhaust tips with a small 90 degree Phillip screw driver and then remove the two small Phillip screws located inside the recessed holes at the rear (closest to the front of the gal) with a short small Phillip screw driver. Once the hardware is removed the black plastic trim piece will slide out easy.

8. From under the gal push the OEM muffler up and towards the front while allowing it to rotate slightly and it will reside perfectly on the air box mounting area

9. While sitting on the supercharger (if one person) grab each end of the muffler and bring it close to you and then once stable get off the gal and then grab the muffler assemble and set it on the ground. With two people the removal maybe easier however after doing it I think it is an easy one person job.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:
Reactions: white out

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Great Job and fantastic write up! I was the guy who did it last weekend. I am glad my instructions came in handy. I do remember receiving your PM while on a business trip, and was going to reply to you tomorrow and suggest you give me a call so I can explain things in more detail.

However, it sounds like you were able to complete the job without a hitch. Wrapping the exhaust tips and rear bumper area with a towel/rag is good advice. That's what I did for extra precaution. Admittingly, it sounds like you took many other precautions with painter's tape, blankets, etc... and I would recommend this as well.

Well, that's 2 people who have done the job start to finish without a lift, jacking up the car, and removing the clamshell. What's even better is that it takes about the same amount time (or maybe even less)!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
lthlvpr said:
Great Job and fantastic write up! I was the guy who did it last weekend. I am glad my instructions came in handy. I do remember receiving your PM while on a business trip, and was going to reply to you tomorrow and suggest you give me a call so I can explain things in more detail.

However, it sounds like you were able to complete the job without a hitch. Wrapping the exhaust tips and rear bumper area with a towel/rag is good advice. That's what I did for extra precaution. Admittingly, it sounds like you took many other precautions with painter's tape, blankets, etc... and I would recommend this as well.

Well, that's 2 people who have done the job start to finish without a lift, jacking up the car, and removing the clamshell. What's even better is that it takes about the same amount time (or maybe even less)!

You were the driving force; thank you

Shadowman

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Thx for the info..

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Shadowman,

Posts like yours are what make this site such a great place to gather information. I'm confident that your generosity in taking the time to detail your experience will come as welcome help to those who have yet to intall the accufab pipe. I wish I had your post handy when I did mine several weeks ago.

By the way, I admire your caution in avoiding dings and scrathes during the installation. I wish I could wave a magic wand and instill a bit of your caution into the average Ford tech...

Thanks from all of us who appreciate detail.
:thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you for the kind words; I too feel that this is a great web site as such I try to contribute when I can because I would like to see it survive the test of time

Shadowman

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
A big thanks to Carl (CJ428), Bill (SHADOWMAN) and of course Rich and Denis (THE GT GUYS) for their help in parts and knowledge in pulling my deteriorating stock muffler and installing what I think is the Accufab H-Pipe.

I had just finished up replacing my rotors and throwing on a new set of pads when my wife made the comment about the rattley muffler. While in Carlisle the consensus of the experts was normal wear on the stock muffler and Carl, who now has bumper deleted his FGT, had a used replacement and sent it to me at an unbelievable price.

Rich & Denis gave me a few tips, especially on how to center the exhaust tips, and I printed out a copy of Shadowman’s “Muffler Removal for One”, and went to work. Everything went according to the plan, and now, according to my wife, the car sounds like it performs. Of course, Bill kept close tabs on my progress, and I found one item in his write up that I would refine; but what great folks are they all to deal with.

The following contains the section in his instructions that I found made removal in a certain area easier:

As such I revisited the notes from the earlier poster. He shared that he had to remove the upper screen; meaning the mess that is located above the muffler tips and is approximately 2 feet long. Before removing this panel I placed some painters tape on the side of the frame rail extensions to make certain that once again no cosmetic damage would be caused. This panel is secured into place with 2 small Phillip head screws located just above the exhaust tips that are easy to remove with a small 90 degree screwdriver in my case I have a small 90 ratcheting style regardless fix or ratchet head would work fine. Then there are two Tork #27 one at each outer corner of the panel next to the heat shield.

[ At this point I would like to suggest a slight alternative; having paws as opposed to hands at the ends of my arms, I did the following to remove the upper screen mesh: with the muffler loosened, lift it and move it forward enough to access the two Philip screws above the muffler tips with a stubby screwdriver. Also, removing the 2 Torx #27 on each side first will help to allow a bit of extra space between the inner fascia and the muffler. ]

Pete S.

Aug 25, 2006
A big thanks to Carl (CJ428), Bill (SHADOWMAN) and of course Rich and Denis (THE GT GUYS) for their help in parts and knowledge in pulling my deteriorating stock muffler and installing what I think is the Accufab H-Pipe.

I had just finished up replacing my rotors and throwing on a new set of pads when my wife made the comment about the rattley muffler. While in Carlisle the consensus of the experts was normal wear on the stock muffler and Carl, who now has bumper deleted his FGT, had a used replacement and sent it to me at an unbelievable price.

Rich & Denis gave me a few tips, especially on how to center the exhaust tips, and I printed out a copy of Shadowman’s “Muffler Removal for One”, and went to work. Everything went according to the plan, and now, according to my wife, the car sounds like it performs. Of course, Bill kept close tabs on my progress, and I found one item in his write up that I would refine; but what great folks are they all to deal with.

The following contains the section in his instructions that I found made removal in a certain area easier:

As such I revisited the notes from the earlier poster. He shared that he had to remove the upper screen; meaning the mess that is located above the muffler tips and is approximately 2 feet long. Before removing this panel I placed some painters tape on the side of the frame rail extensions to make certain that once again no cosmetic damage would be caused. This panel is secured into place with 2 small Phillip head screws located just above the exhaust tips that are easy to remove with a small 90 degree screwdriver in my case I have a small 90 ratcheting style regardless fix or ratchet head would work fine. Then there are two Tork #27 one at each outer corner of the panel next to the heat shield.

[ At this point I would like to suggest a slight alternative; having paws as opposed to hands at the ends of my arms, I did the following to remove the upper screen mesh: with the muffler loosened, lift it and move it forward enough to access the two Philip screws above the muffler tips with a stubby screwdriver. Also, removing the 2 Torx #27 on each side first will help to allow a bit of extra space between the inner fascia and the muffler. ]

Pete S.

Pete S

You did a great job

I was happy to remain at bay and chat with you throughout the processes.

Also; I appreciate the update with regards to the "How To"

Very nice

Takes care

Shadowman

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Shadowman,

Of course I am quite appreciative for the support I receive from you and others on this forum. And for those with any hesitation about this service or that repair to their own cars, I can only say seek a bit of advice and be reassured that most everything can be done at home. Perhaps slightly more time consuming for folks like me with no lift, but the knowledge gained in the process makes driving the beast “your own”.

I had two lengthy conversations by phone after completing the work, one with Bill and the other with Carl, and I must say the mutual desire to maintain, service and modify hands on is extremely rewarding. Not to take anything away from having the experts perform their work as well in times of need. But there is no mystery here, these are after all cars assembled by people and can be worked on by us all. In many respects I have found some items like the brakes the easiest car I have ever worked on.

Again, thanks to those that helped.

Pete S.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
So,

after having the X-pipe in the car for a while, I had decided the noise was more than I cared for. Virtually impossible to carry on a conversation in the car, unless my passenger and I had hemets on with the wired mic hookup, and could no longer hear the tires break loose or the supercharger's sweet surge; and might as well throw out the radio.

That being said, after driving up to visit Mike above Phili, 200 miles up, and some great time spent in his splendid "Man Cave", and 200 miles back, I have already got a stock muffler back 'in position', needing only to finish off with the hardware and mild adjustments. The humidity in the greater DC area is just unbearable after a couple hours under and in the car.

But I wanted to say that reversing the instructions stated in Shadowman's muffler-removal-for-one works well for re-installing the beast of a muffler. I will add that to start and snug some of the brackets is easier when the muffler studs are set atop the cat face pushing the unit toward the rear of the car. Gives one a bit more room to squeeze the fingers inbetween everything.

Should finish it the next time out, or within a few days.

Pete S.

Aug 25, 2006
So,

after having the X-pipe in the car for a while, I had decided the noise was more than I cared for. Virtually impossible to carry on a conversation in the car, unless my passenger and I had hemets on with the wired mic hookup, and could no longer hear the tires break loose or the supercharger's sweet surge; and might as well throw out the radio.

That being said, after driving up to visit Mike above Phili, 200 miles up, and some great time spent in his splendid "Man Cave", and 200 miles back, I have already got a stock muffler back 'in position', needing only to finish off with the hardware and mild adjustments. The humidity in the greater DC area is just unbearable after a couple hours under and in the car.

But I wanted to say that reversing the instructions stated in Shadowman's muffler-removal-for-one works well for re-installing the beast of a muffler. I will add that to start and snug some of the brackets is easier when the muffler studs are set atop the cat face pushing the unit toward the rear of the car. Gives one a bit more room to squeeze the fingers inbetween everything.

Should finish it the next time out, or within a few days.

Pete S.

Hi Pete S

I am happy for you and am glad that I remain a part of your projects.

Takes care

Shadowman

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
S-man posts

What?!

A 43 paragraph technical post by Shadowman and no blue tape, photos, and hand models?!

Aug 25, 2006
What?!

A 43 paragraph technical post by Shadowman and no blue tape, photos, and hand models?!

It is "always" great to hear from you my friend

All the best

Shadowman

BTW; Scotch, 3M, ApliTape, and Avery remain on speed dial and on a first name basis and …. Frank ....... I am still looking for good a manicurist

Attachments

• DSC08032.JPG
    DSC08032.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 96

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Shadowman Thumbs

I started saving these a while back:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
ShadowMan, try the mortuaries. People are just dying to get in.

Aug 25, 2006
I started saving these a while back:

I love it RALPHIE; you truly made my day, thank you

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
ShadowMan, try the mortuaries. People are just dying to get in.

No doubt and yet I would prefer a person that is used to tending to warm hands

All the best

Shadowman