live at Le Mans for today's qualifying session

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Multimatic quote of the day :

"And all these other guys, like Corvette, who got hit with a BoP [penalty], there’s no way they are as slow as they showed last night. That’s complete bullshit.”

:thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
That’s complete bullshit.”

:thumbsup

BOP is complete bullshit!

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
He who sandbags last, sandbags best.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Anyone heard of additional sanctions on Ford GT's, as I received a message at 1:23 am this morning that Raj Nair was called in to talke to the Le Mans stewards? Wonder what the outcome of that meeting is? Could be less fuel capacity therefore less laps on fill ups, or possible Air restriction, ????

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
Indeed...he who sandbags last wins.....
ACO make a further adjustment...
---

Significant Balance of Performance changes just over 24 hours before the start of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The pole-winning ford GTs, which qualified 1-2-4-5 in the 14-car class, have received an extra five kilos (11 pounds) of ballast, moving the four cars up to 1248 kgs (2751 lbs), but that’s only a token change. The big pre-race adjustment is the removal of boost pressure throughout the twin-turbo V6’s rev range from 4200-7000 rpms. Only the Ford’s peak 7100 rpm range was left untouched.

On the Ferrari side, its new twin-turbo V8 488 was met with the opposite treatment as its boost was left alone in favor of reducing its pace through bolting an extra 25 kilos (55 pounds) to the three Prancing horses that qualified P3-5-6. The 488s also received and extra four liters of fuel capacity.

The slow non-turbos from Aston Martin, Corvette, and Porsche also had BoP changes made, and most were in the name of improving their pace.

Aston’s V8 Vantages will breathe easier thanks to a further 0.4 mm opening of its air restrictors, which will increase power and torque. The Corvette C7.Rs received a 0.3 mm air restrictor break, but the team only has restrictors in hand that would allow a 0.2 mm break.

“It’s a move in the right direction,” Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan told DSC. “The [0.3 mm] is enough of an improvement that we need to find a solution because we only have restrictors that will get us [0.2 mm].”

The C7.Rs were also given an additional seven liters of fuel capacity. The Porsche 911 RSRs did not receive weight or air restrictor changes, but now have eight liters of new fuel capacity.

Altogether, the changes to the Ferraris and Fords should make for an intense fight among GTE-Pro cars throughout Saturday and Sunday in La Sarthe.
---
Exactly as I predicted. Aston and Corvette complaints have been answered.

All simply to get the headline of "Ford on pole". The egos are big on this one. Performance improvements could have been released in a far better and more professional way.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Well said Steven, driving skills will be pushed way up front. Headlines don't Win races. It will be interesting to see what strategy Ford will use tomorrow. Hopefully a steady pace , working together, protecting each other during inclement weather racing and pushing hard in the last hours of the race will pay off for Ford. GO BLUE We will all be watching with our FORD eyes on.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 226

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
I could never follow a series with such assinie rules. I'd have multiple coronaries throughout the season.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I could never follow a series with such assinie rules. I'd have multiple coronaries throughout the season.

I'm with you.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Not to be offensive but do you think there is any form of organized racing that doesn't have some committee in charge of balancing power and competition?

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
MotoGP......once the season starts whatever adjustments (which are very little) stick.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Not to be offensive but do you think there is any form of organized racing that doesn't have some committee in charge of balancing power and competition?

Well, this draconian weekly adjustment crap is new. It certainly didn't exist in 1966. Previously the FIA defined a box early on in the season and everyone knew what they could and couldn't do. Stay inside the box and have at it. Now the boundaries of the box are a moving target. Goofy.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Who knows... Maybe they have even a bit more in reserve...

And now, if they're able to pull off the sweep they hope for, they can say "Even after all the last-minute BoP adjustments"...

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
That would be a great story. But in my opinion they have unnecessarily made the race harder for themselves by going for a single lap headline.
Fingers crossed.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Very, Very True! I just hope Chip Ganassi or someone in his Group has been chosen to call the shots during Race day real time strategies. That to me is a big part of racing at Le Mans. It's called RACE TIME EXPERIENCE.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Well, this draconian weekly adjustment crap is new. It certainly didn't exist in 1966. Previously the FIA defined a box early on in the season and everyone knew what they could and couldn't do. Stay inside the box and have at it. Now the boundaries of the box are a moving target. Goofy.
Yeah, ditto. The rules should be set before the series begins, then everyone designs and races to the rules, otherwise it's just trying to equalize the endpoints, instead of the starting points. The next step will be to penalize better drivers. Don't laugh.